PDA

View Full Version : FSX Metal GUI. A new look

OleBoy
November 20th, 2011, 22:30
Just found this interesting mod over at flightsim.com. Thanks to Todd McCuistion :icon29:

FSX Metal GUI

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6849/newguix.jpg

Name: fsx_metal_gui_v_1_2.zip Size: 8,029,945 Date: 11-20-2011

FSX Metal GUI v1.2. Want to add a new fresh look to your FSX interface? Here is the first makeover. The author designed this because he has bad eyesight which is sensitive to bright screen objects, and likes to play PC games in a dark room with the lights off. This darkens the interface, and improves the overall look. By Todd McCuistion.

http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=161105

Installed and tested. The screenshot is my modified FSX screen

Flame-Prop
November 20th, 2011, 23:27
Such a great find sir :salute: downloading as we speak :icon29:

orionll
November 20th, 2011, 23:50
Eek! I personally think that design is much harder on the eyes and more distracting compared to the original.

Paul Domingue
November 21st, 2011, 01:12
Having been a mechanic most of my life, it appeals to me, a nice change. Thanks

guzler
November 21st, 2011, 10:15
I'd quite like to change the back ground to the airctaft to one like the above with clouds, is there a way to just do that ?

OleBoy
November 21st, 2011, 10:18
Within the GUI, remove one, then add a different one. There are four to choose from

Tako_Kichi
November 21st, 2011, 10:44
I'd quite like to change the back ground to the airctaft to one like the above with clouds, is there a way to just do that ?
I am assuming you just want to change the image behind the aircraft display window rather than changing the entire GUI. If so I believe the file you need to change is located in the 'XXX\FSX\Uires' folder and is called 'aircraft_viewer_bkgrnd.bmp'.

Back-up your original file by either copy and pasting it to a safe location or rename the file by adding '_ORIG' to the end of the file name. Then find an image you want to use in .bmp format that is 512x512 pixels in size. Rename it to 'aircraft_viewer_bkgrnd.bmp' and drop it into the 'Uires' folder. Looking at the original image you may have to flip your image vertically so that it is upside down as the original looks like it has been flipped.

I have not tried this myself but that's the only obvious file after looking through all the FSX folders.