PDA

View Full Version : Help with Layers

AussieMan
November 17th, 2011, 16:37
I have posted a similar request in the FSX Discussion forum on this site.

In the past I have done several repaints for my own use ad a couple posted on the internet. These repaints involved kits that did not contain layers.

Now I wish to get involved repainting the WBS P-51D Little Friends II aircraft. I have the paintkit for these aircraft and they include layers. What I would like to know is what layers need to be removed to get to where I need to place the base colours I will be using. I have the following programmes:

Paint Shop Pro X and 5

Photoshop CS3

Gimp 2.6

Of those programmes I feel most comfortable with Paint Shop Pro but feel I could also learn to use Photoshop at this time.

All help will be much appreciated.

johnh_049
November 19th, 2011, 07:24
I don't delete the layers, just go through and hide the layers till you find the ones you don't need to show.

stansdds
November 19th, 2011, 09:01
I generally use layers for my repainting projects. What I advise is to keep the paintkit as an archive copy. Make a copy of the paintkit and use that copy to hide or delete layers that you don't want. This way you will not accidentally make a permanent deletion, then have to download the paintkit again. Go ahead, ask me how I know about this. :banghead:

When I first started repainting I did not know about layers or how to use them. Once I mastered the concept of layers, I started cringing whenever I downloaded a paintkit that did not use layers, especially for things like panel lines. I found it to be a lot easier to paint, then place weathering, exhaust, oil streaks and panel line layers over top of the paint job rather than trying to paint around and preserve underlying panel lines.

gaucho_59
November 20th, 2011, 04:41
I have posted a similar request in the FSX Discussion forum on this site.

In the past I have done several repaints for my own use ad a couple posted on the internet. These repaints involved kits that did not contain layers.

Now I wish to get involved repainting the WBS P-51D Little Friends II aircraft. I have the paintkit for these aircraft and they include layers. What I would like to know is what layers need to be removed to get to where I need to place the base colours I will be using. I have the following programmes:

Paint Shop Pro X and 5

Photoshop CS3

Gimp 2.6

Of those programmes I feel most comfortable with Paint Shop Pro but feel I could also learn to use Photoshop at this time.

All help will be much appreciated.

Adequate armamentarium in the progs side... Actually, Photoshop is an excellent program but I prefer PSP (been working with it since the original with Jasc..)
Now, as to paintkits... I've found for myself that each painter uses a personal preference method... rather than try to get into someoneelse's methods, I developed one suitable for me... I copy the kit, eliminate or change positions of the layers I can use "as is" and create and label new ones as I go along... some layers I create to work on a specific detail or pain or panel lines, etc. and incorporate them to the existing ones or a new one I have a specific use for... for my own positioning of detail work, weathering, etc. I prefer to place the base color first (camouflage colors separately sometimes... or all in one having worked them into a satisfactory arrangement) Then, a layer to define cylindrical or flat highlights on the next, and so on. Another for markings and code letters, etc. and on up as I see fit.. to then unite as a single layer for transfer to the dds. bmp etc format used by the original model...
In my estimation, I find full color layers without definition of what the model's mdl picks up... is confusing... I prefer to have the outline of the texture mapping exceeded by some millimiters clearly visible to visualize a 3-d so to speak image in my mind of what I am doing (I like this so scoops, intakes, etc. can be discerned in the paint kit... rather than one blank color with panel line, markings, etc not showing, for example, the outline of the fuselage or wing, fin,... whatever portion... I realize that this requires some artistic skill and/or training eye... and may not help some one who cannot do it or just wants the color fulling covering the mapping... without highlights, etc. Like folks that use premade cylindrical shaded and place them on the wings... well wings are not cylindrical.. they are basically flat surfaces... a cylindrical aluminum thing can be suited for the fuselage which is highlighted longitudinally... but when placed over a wing mapping template.. whose curvature (airfoil gradually front to back) make for a very "outlandish" shading....
So, for what it's worth... do your own thing... and in the end only eyes you need to satisfy are your own... here is a little example of what my templaes look like when reay (or my eyes)
Ciao for now

AussieMan
November 20th, 2011, 14:11
Thanks fellas. Think I have enough information to bit the bullet and have a go at repainting.