PDA

View Full Version : Help with a heavy assed plane (but a light heart)

popsaka
November 17th, 2011, 08:19
....long time problem: It seems that with all my beloved Zuyax based Spitfire mark V's I've always been plagued with a ridiculously feeble tailwheel -especially on unpaved runways, I find meself pushing the stick all the way forward, handling the throttle most carefully and also seeing AI piloted wing-men having their tailwheels collapse and go up in flames, leaving me with one or no wing-men at all :crybaby:

What's a mother() to do?? --signed, Draggass'd Desperado

gecko
November 17th, 2011, 08:43
Try this: open the aircraft.cfg and find the contact points section. Replace the line for point.0 with this:

point.0 = 1, -20.15, 0, -2.9, 5565.354331, 0, 0.35, 30, 0.5, 1.5, 0.5, 0, 0, 0, 150, 166

Should make that tail wheel a bit more durable. The line will work for all Zuyax Spits and Seafires including the MK.IAs included in Just Flight's BoB add-on.

What I'd like to know is how to keep them from tipping over on the ground. Applying full throttle with the brakes on (no matter how slowly) will cause the plane to tip on its nose. I don't think this is realistic and I think it also contributes to AI crashes on takeoff. I noticed that Avhistory's 4.0 FM MK.XIV doesn't have this problem, but I can't figure out why.
Thanks for any help.

Daniel

popsaka
November 17th, 2011, 09:13
Thanks Daniel, yer a pal -that's just the type of data I wuz hopin' for!!:salute::icon29:

popsaka
November 17th, 2011, 09:20
Try this: open the aircraft.cfg and find the contact points section. Replace the line for point.0 with this:

point.0 = 1, -20.15, 0, -2.9, 5565.354331, 0, 0.35, 30, 0.5, 1.5, 0.5, 0, 0, 0, 150, 166

Should make that tail wheel a bit more durable. The line will work for all Zuyax Spits and Seafires including the MK.IAs included in Just Flight's BoB add-on.

What I'd like to know is how to keep them from tipping over on the ground. Applying full throttle with the brakes on (no matter how slowly) will cause the plane to tip on its nose. I don't think this is realistic and I think it also contributes to AI crashes on takeoff. I noticed that Avhistory's 4.0 FM MK.XIV doesn't have this problem, but I can't figure out why.
Thanks for any help.

Daniel

--You've seen 'em tip fwd?? that's one on me! Possibly with the 14's the cog is so drastically different...(?)

--Yes, any help is welcome -pops

gecko
November 17th, 2011, 11:54
you're welcome. I should add that your ground handling will be better too as the tail wheel won't spin you in circles any more.

NachtPiloten
November 18th, 2011, 10:35

Thanks for any help.

Daniel

The COG needs fix'n. If you send me the files, I'll take a look.

gecko
November 18th, 2011, 12:13
I've attached the .cfg and .air I'm using. Thanks for taking a look at it. I'd appreciate it if you'd explain what you did if you manage to fix it so I can fix a few other planes that I have that do this too myself. Thanks.

Daniel