PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR?

Killbilly
November 16th, 2011, 05:52
So, how many of you use TrackIR? I've been thinking about taking the plunge (especially since I've started flying helos into tight spots more and more). How does it work for you? Does it decrease FPS at all? Is it better with the hat set-up that it comes with or the headphone setup that costs extra? Does it make you vomit? Most of all, is it worth the money? Thanks for any help.

OleBoy
November 16th, 2011, 06:11
I have TrackIR 5 (hat clip) I don't have any trouble with lag whatsoever. The immersion factor is pretty neat. Compared to panning with the flight controls, no comparison. The view you have is night and day different. I recommend it. I can't say regarding the headphone configuration as I never tried it.

There is a slight issue with getting it set-up. Nothing to really take away from the experience, but getting it dialed in for range of view, versus smoothness and speed getting there, can get you frustrated. I just reinstalled the software for mine. Thanks for reminding me. All I have to do is get my profile reloaded and I'm good to go.
I was in the same position when I heard about TrackIR. Skeptical. All it took was a little encouragement from a fellow flier, and I went for it. Money well spent.

Pepere
November 16th, 2011, 06:31
Best hardware you can add on - once you have it you will not be able to go with out it! My humble opinion!

David

stovall
November 16th, 2011, 07:30
I bought TrackIR clip several years ago and have never had any problems. When I get really serious about flying I always turn it on. A really must have tool for me. Hope this helps.

robertorizzo
November 16th, 2011, 08:06
It's now 2 years.

NEVER WITHOUT IT.

Dain Arns
November 16th, 2011, 08:12
First thing on, last thing off every flight for me. :mixedsmi:

It will take some time getting used to, and adjusting and tweaking to get it set for you personally.
That amount of time depends on your likes/dislikes with the turn rates/dead zones.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_AO0F5sLdVM?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

peter12213
November 16th, 2011, 08:23
Its a must for me too!

fsafranek
November 16th, 2011, 08:36
I've had it (v4) for three years now. I think it's great.
Especially when flying the fast movers.
:ernae:

Tako_Kichi
November 16th, 2011, 09:12
I had TIR4 for several years and then upgraded to TIR5. Like others have stated I can't fly without it now. IMHO it is the most important controller after the joystick/yoke and more important than rudder pedals. I couldn't afford to buy both the TIR4 and rudder pedals when I got mine and had to make a decision between the TIR4 and the pedals. I went with TIR4 and used the pedals from my PC racing wheel for a couple of years until I could afford a 'proper' set of flight pedals.

Incidentally, I bought both of my TIR units brand new from an Ebay store (with 'buy it now' options) and paid far less than the price you normally see them advertised for online.

Merlin216
November 16th, 2011, 09:15
I had the same questions as you, but I decided to shell out the money after I saw how it worked first hand. The extended movements you can do are far superior to the default hat switch. Looking and navigating around the cockpit is much easier with TIR, not to mention the added situational awareness you will gain for the type of flying you are doing. Setting up your profile might take some time, but the end result will enhance your sim experience. I personally get motion sickness rather easily while driving or flying gliders, and TIR has never given me an issue. FPS drops should not be an issue from TIR. I do not wish to use a hat while wearing my headset, but I do not use the headset clip either. I have actually taped the hat clip to the top of my headset, and it works fairly well, but looks ridiculous lol.

I concur with everyone else here, TIR is well worth your money. If I was ordering again though, I would not get the cheaper TIR4, and go with the newer 5. Some people say the added hardware features make a difference.

jankees
November 16th, 2011, 09:47
I have TIR4, but hardly ever use it.
I am probably not your average user, being more interested in the outside of an aircraft, but even when flying, it made me very nervous and sometimes a bit nauseous. Somehow I actually felt restricted by it, since the image would move with every head movement I made, forcing me at times to sit tight and keep my head still.
I still try it once in a while, but feel much more comfortable without it.

and I don't like rudder pedals either...OK, back to the paintshed, tomorrow...

edit: turns out I have TIR 5, shows you what I know...

Naismith
November 16th, 2011, 09:56
It depends on what you like to do in FS, but for me, it is essential if flying circuits in light aircraft happens to be your schtick. That is just one aspect which makes it numero uno in add on equipment.

Killbilly
November 16th, 2011, 12:02
Thanks, gents. I think I'll take the plunge since your feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Now I just have to wait for shipping. :salute:

Desert Rat
November 16th, 2011, 14:07
I have TIR4, but hardly ever use it.
I am probably not your average user, being more interested in the outside of an aircraft, but even when flying, it made me very nervous and sometimes a bit nauseous. Somehow I actually felt restricted by it, since the image would move with every head movement I made, forcing me at times to sit tight and keep my head still.
I still try it once in a while, but feel much more comfortable without it.

and I don't like rudder pedals either...OK, back to the paintshed, tomorrow...

edit: turns out I have TIR 5, shows you what I know...

I've had TIR4 for years, wouldn't be without it, I also agree about it being more important than pedals, awareness is paramount, IMHO. Being as I bought it for FS9 I HATED the fact that it pans in external view in FSX, stopped me using either/both for a while. BUT, there is a tweak to stop it panning in external in FSX, just wish I still had it to tell you what it was, but it is out there.

Jamie

Tako_Kichi
November 16th, 2011, 14:23
Being as I bought it for FS9 I HATED the fact that it pans in external view in FSX, stopped me using either/both for a while. BUT, there is a tweak to stop it panning in external in FSX, just wish I still had it to tell you what it was, but it is out there.
I got around the problem by assigning the TIR 'pause' command to a spare button on my joystick/HOTAS (I also assigned the TIR 'centre' and 'precision' commands at the same time). Now when I go to external view I just have to hit the button and I can use the hat switch to pan around. The 'pause' button also has it's uses in the VC, if I want to click on a small switch or change a radio setting I can lean forward to zoom in and then hit 'pause' which allows me to access buttons/switches easily without the view jumping around then I hit the 'pause' button again when I'm done to go back to the normal mode.

DaveWG
November 16th, 2011, 22:16
I've had TIR4 for years, wouldn't be without it, I also agree about it being more important than pedals, awareness is paramount, IMHO. Being as I bought it for FS9 I HATED the fact that it pans in external view in FSX, stopped me using either/both for a while. BUT, there is a tweak to stop it panning in external in FSX, just wish I still had it to tell you what it was, but it is out there.

Jamie

The tweak/prog you're refering to is probably JabFSX by Jacky Brouze.

http://www.brouze.ch/Programmes/JAB_FSX/index.php

(page is in French, but the prog does work in English)

OleBoy
November 16th, 2011, 23:06
This sounds like a very nice program to compliment TrackIR, Dave. I will definitely try it!

Naismith
November 16th, 2011, 23:14
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I had this long ago, lost it and have been searching for it for a while now.

Francois
November 17th, 2011, 02:14
Even though I have an old one, I don't ofter fly WITHOUT it anymore :-) Great value for money !

Desert Rat
November 17th, 2011, 13:13
The tweak/prog you're refering to is probably JabFSX by Jacky Brouze.

http://www.brouze.ch/Programmes/JAB_FSX/index.php

(page is in French, but the prog does work in English)

Dave,

that's the fellow, many thanks for proving me sane(ish). Another must have in my book is the track-clip pro. I had the hat clip for months, invested in the pro clip and in my opinion it is sooooooo much better (regardless of light conditions). If I could recommend an purchase for your next addon, it would be 'forget another plane, get the pro clip, it'll improve your experience in all your planes'.

Jamie

PS. I have no affiliation with Natural point, lol. No really.
PSS. I have version 4, but the software for 5 works fine with it and is much better, IMHO.

OleBoy
November 17th, 2011, 16:33
About the only (always) lurking complaint I have when using TrackIR is, to my rear is the kitchen entrance. Just beyond that, the refrigerator. Anytime someone gets in the fridge, TrackIR sensors go nuts. I get visions of every angle there is to have within TrackIR's mobility range. Even upside down! My family use to go into the kitchen when I was enjoying a flight, and open the fridge just to see me get irritated LOL!

There's one more thing about TrackIR that cause issues. Glass & reflections. I have glass displays to my rear. I had several times experienced strange, flashing views of different angles within the cockpit. The light source from my LCD monitor, while flying, reflected on the glass and raised all sorts of interference due to the changes in the amount of light in the room. Worse at night. When I finally figured out what was causing it, I covered the glass displays with a blanket. Problem solved :icon_lol:

stansdds
November 18th, 2011, 03:11
I've used TrackIR for years now and I refuse to fly without it. I'm still using the old TIR3-Pro with Vector Expansion. It works well enough, but I know the current version offers a wider range of motion and smoother motion tracking.

Killbilly
November 18th, 2011, 19:59
Well, you all certainly didn't steer me wrong. I just got my TrackIR 5 yesterday, and I've never had so much fun in the sim! It's absolutely brilliant. It did take me a little bit to adjust it just perfectly for me and my setup, but now I'm in a whole new world of flying. It sure makes landing on the difficult runways easier, and it feels so natural. It only took me a few minutes to get used to the idea and stop moving my thumb over to the hat switch. Thanks for the tip on setting up the "pause" and "center" functions to the flight controller. Easy pleasy. This thing is totally worth the money! Off to do some more flying. Thanks again.

Tako_Kichi
November 18th, 2011, 20:36
Glad you're enjoying it. :applause:

Paul Domingue
November 18th, 2011, 22:08
I love flying with TrackIR and it's a great tool when building a VC.