PDA

View Full Version : One last hope for help before I give up on FSX.

XLR8
November 15th, 2011, 17:23
I'm having a problem with FSX that if I can't fix,I will have to just stop useing the game. The problem is a freeze frame effect about every minuite or so that only last a 1/4 second.Its just to anoying to play.It only happens with drivers for my EVGA 470 video card.As the driver get newer this problem gets worst.The last good driver was 270.61 beta,after that it gets worst. The problem with not updating the driver ie that other games like BF3 don't work.

So what would cause this that might be in each driver. I asked over at the Nvidea forums but no reply.Is there anyone who might know of a place that has a solution.

my pc
core i7-975@4.2
EVGA 1280mb 470 gtx
6gb of ram
ause sabertooth x58 motherbord
windows 7 64

crashaz
November 15th, 2011, 19:42
Hang tight... I am away from my machine while working in Houstojn... 570 in mine... but I am sure others are going to jump in here. Will check in when I get home this weekend and we can go thru some things. :wavey:

Roger
November 15th, 2011, 23:12
I'd make sure all other drivers are updated especially your sound card. Or it may be a program checking the internet on a regular basis. Av programs tend to do this.

roger-wilco-66
November 16th, 2011, 00:19
Is there maybe a coincidence between the freeze and a hard disk access (do you see the LED of the hdd blink during the freeze) ?
I concur with Roger here, it might be an application that blocks FSX by conducting an i/o operation on the disk. Almost any hdd access will cause a slight stutter in FSX, expecially when it occurs on the same disk.

If there is a regular interval between the accesses, you can check this easily in the taskmanager / process view. Usually the access is accompanied by a rise in the cpu usage of a process. Sort the list by cpu usage (max on top) and wait and watch...
The other way to find out would be a more thorough performance analysis or i/o monitoring, but that's a bit more complicated.

Cheers,
Mark

stansdds
November 16th, 2011, 02:07
With your system specs, I would agree that there is something running in the background, accessing the hard drive. Might be an automatic updater or file indexing service. Video drivers can cause stutters and Nvidia's newer drivers are truly optimized for specific game titles, which I think is a poor way to make drivers, but they didn't ask me.

Flame-Prop
November 16th, 2011, 02:27
Don't give up on FSX man, It can really give you quite a good lesson when looking things from different angles. So the computer is freezing, this has the ringing bells that it;s really struggling with the demands. Here's my doctor's diagnostics...

First off..... :running:
This will cost you some cash but, make sure it has around 5 or 6 fans for cooling, make sure you get the right sized ones. Check for any dust inside, get rid of it if there is any but make sure you get ask around how to....would not be a bad idea to check your graphics card type, that would cost a bit but will be worth it in the long run.

Software talk......:icon29:
Better make sure it's clean and ready for anything. I use CCcleaner(free), Defragler(free), If you have STEAM which is a program that manages all your games that you would buy through it but no games that you have right now, it has driver updates as well ....take advantage of that and use it to upgrade your drivers to latest version. Close down any major programs while running FSX, such as internet, no windows explorer windows are opened, basically big stuff that eat away memory, to check see where the big stuff is...press ctrl + alt + delete and start task manager and have a look around there for big numbers but be careful what you close down though even if big number pop up.

Other things......:salute:
FSX, make sure your FSX graphical settings are not at a monster stage, I am all about realism as well but I have a controlled balance and if you are not a fan or jagged edges, with my settings for FSX you can barely see them. Sometimes the computer's graphics settings are battling with some of the games with their settings....FSX relies on both which is good news....so if you have a balanced setting for CPU and FSX graphical settings it will work well.

Gabe

gradyhappyg
November 16th, 2011, 04:17
Also be on the lookout for certain add ons like weather and AI programs which when refreshing or reloading can cause a slight delay or freeze.

XLR8
November 16th, 2011, 07:15
Update >I got it fixed.I was talking to a BF3 clan member last night,when the subject of how the planes are not realistic in BF3 compaired to FSX and lockon.I made a coment about how I can't play FSX because of the problem I'm having.One of the clan said I had the same problem. To make a long story short he said run FSX in DX10.I did just that and so far its good to go.I also can run FSX with AA and bloom on with 40FPS. I suppose its a DX thing in the new drivers.

I do want to thank you all.

roger-wilco-66
November 16th, 2011, 10:47
hmmmm, never had such a problem, despite newest drivers and never running in DX10 preview on my GF104 card (460) because of compatibility issues...
But maybe it's because I run it with Bojotes fsx.cfg config and Nvidia Inspector settings.

Cheers,
Mark