PDA

View Full Version : a tale of two animals,,heart warming and breaking

Daveroo
November 13th, 2011, 09:30
a few weeks ago in the california central valley the owner of a seemingly young horse left it roaming free on a roadway,abandoned,it was struck by a car or truck ( no one knows what hit it),someone called the fire department,who responded but did nothing other than direct traffic around the horse which was laying on its side on the edge of the roadway,,,,eyes closed,,,the FD called animal control and were just waiting for them,,( the fd really did nothing wrong),but a news crew showed up and the producer in the van was a woman who is an activist type and also a peta ( i want to say member,but thats not confermed),she went balistic,started touching the horse and talking to it,,it opened its eyes and then lifted its head,,at that time a vet arrived,,not clear if the news producer called him or not,but the vet and the news crew,along with the fire fighters got the horse on its feet,loaded on a trailer and took it to the vet school at davis university,it had since been name "lucky pal" ,,it was then discovered the horse had a crushed knee,would require surgery which would cost 10 grand,,they trie to raise money,but didnt get enough,so a loomis ca ranch family steped up,said they would pay the bill if they could have the horse when the surgery was over,,,,surgery was successfull and lucky pal is now in a new home in loomis,,,,end of heart warming story

now friday night,im listening to my scanner,,calfire toned out an engine for an animal struck by a truck,,code 2 responce,"clean up" needed along with traffic control prior to CHP ,,,( many times fire can get to the scene long before the chp can)so the engineer arrives,gets on the radio and you can hear his voice cracking with emotion,and in the background you can hear the bellowing of a (what turned out to be) calf,it had been hit by a truck,the hind quarters had been crushed and the calf was using its front legs and pulling itself around the road in circles and bellowing ( crying in pain?)you could hear it over the radio...saddest thing ive heard in a long time,,,finally a sheriffs deputy arrived and 'dispatched " it

Willy
November 13th, 2011, 13:00
I don't know how it works in California, but here in Tennessee if my horses get out and someone hits one, I'm responsible for all damages. I know Arkansas and Texas are the same way. That's probably why the owners never stepped up.

Naismith
November 13th, 2011, 15:00
I'm wishing you hadn't related the second story, it stirs up some bad memories for me.