PDA

View Full Version : Best seat in the house

OBIO
November 11th, 2011, 18:50
Today, as part of my daily Honey Do assignments, Deb had me go to the local Big Lots discount store to buy two new kitchen chairs. She has been eyeballing these chairs for weeks and wanted them to go along with kitchen table that I cut down, stripped and refinished. They are nice chairs...Broyhill Furniture nice......yeah, they are Broyhill chairs.. They were on discount for $96 for 2, and I used by Big Lots Club card and got a 20% discount on that. Roughly $81 after tax. Brought them home in the big box. Put them together (10 thick bolts per chair...these things are solidly built, real wood....the cloth on the seat is high quality). As I was carrying the box and the packaging stuff out to the garage, I found the original Broyhill Furniture store price tag on one end of the box. And I nearly fell over when I saw the original price. $400.00. For two chairs! $400! And I got them for just a tad over $40 each. Yeah, the best seat in the house is now the one I will be sitting in while eating my breakfast bowl of Crunch Berries or Fruit Loops.

The downside to these new chairs....Deb says I can no longer fart at the table. But farting at the table is the purest redneck compliment on how good the food is! Sometimes, Deb just doesn't appreciate my Appalachian upbringing at all.

OBIO

Shylock
November 11th, 2011, 19:09
Hahahahahahaha awesome!!!

stansdds
November 12th, 2011, 07:19
No, you should not fart at the table. It's better to belch it and taste it than to fart it and waste it! :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

You don't get much more redneck-ish than that. :mixedsmi:

Jagdflieger
November 12th, 2011, 07:55
Obio,

Great find! Good furniture lasts a lifetime and can be handed down if cared for properly. We have a couple of hand made pieces dating back over a hundred years that were my wife's great uncle's.

My son is an accomplished wood worker and he is currently making us a new dining room set. It will include the dinner table, a buffet and six chairs. They are made from solid cherry wood in the Shaker style. They compliment the living room set made of highly figured maple that he crafted for us earlier this year.

Here is the table.

n4gix
November 12th, 2011, 07:58
In many parts of the Middle East is is considered extremely rude not to burp loudly after a meal, as it insults the host(s)!

However farting can get you killed...

deKoven
November 13th, 2011, 07:00
Obio,

Great find! Good furniture lasts a lifetime and can be handed down if cared for properly. We have a couple of hand made pieces dating back over a hundred years that were my wife's great uncle's.

My son is an accomplished wood worker and he is currently making us a new dining room set. It will include the dinner table, a buffet and six chairs. They are made from solid cherry wood in the Shaker style. They compliment the living room set made of highly figured maple that he crafted for us earlier this year.

Here is the table.

As a (former) woodworker/cabinet maker I says that is one fine lookin' table. Would like ta see the chairs when they come off the line. Chairs, now, they's tough, tough, tough ta make and have good ones. They takes a lot of wear and such-like 'cause they have ta take the weight, time and time again.

:medals::guinness::guinness:

Cazzie
November 13th, 2011, 07:13
But farting at the table is the purest redneck compliment on how good the food is! Sometimes, Deb just doesn't appreciate my Appalachian upbringing at all.

Absolutely, it is the redneck equivalent to belching while eating at a Chinese restaurant. :icon_lol:

Good purchase OBIO.

Caz

OBIO
November 13th, 2011, 09:45
Jag

That is one beautiful table. The pieces of cherry your son selected are the best I have ever seen. Around here, it is hard to find any cherry that is not full of knots and voids. It's okay for building small things with, since you can find a foot or two that is clean, but when it comes to something as long as a dining table...you can pretty much hang up the idea of using cherry.

OBIO

deKoven
November 13th, 2011, 11:45
Jag

That is one beautiful table. The pieces of cherry your son selected are the best I have ever seen. Around here, it is hard to find any cherry that is not full of knots and voids. It's okay for building small things with, since you can find a foot or two that is clean, but when it comes to something as long as a dining table...you can pretty much hang up the idea of using cherry.

OBIO

Cherry grows wild around Puget Sound and Western WA. Not hard at all to find fairly large trees here. Beautiful wood, that.

brad kaste
November 13th, 2011, 12:49
I had some cherry wood furniture made for me many years ago. The additional beauty of cheery wood is that it develops a wonderful, mellow patina in time. After so many years the wood develops a darkening depth to it that no stain or varnish can ever achieve.

Willy
November 13th, 2011, 13:07
My father in law was a cabinetmaker for years and bought all his wood rough cut and would plane and mold it himself in his shop. He's got a barn loft full of dried cherry, black walnut, birds eye maple and some oak. I don't think he's built anything for the past 15 years. So that wood he stored is well cured.

He went to sell it a few years ago and was offered $1 a board foot for it. He told 'em that it would stay up there forever at that price. He might be over 80, but he's still sharp as a tack.

Naismith
November 13th, 2011, 15:06
A Honey-Do list? If only. More like a "Getyourfatassoutofthatcomputerchairanddosomethingu seful list" in our house. :icon_lol:

Cazzie
November 13th, 2011, 17:28
I have a 200 YO + bed made of cherry wood. Deeply valued family archive. I even sleep in it. Have to have custom-made mattresses. A six-footer could not sleep in it. Man, our people in those days were little. The cats, however, own it and they let you know but quick.

Caz

Henry
November 14th, 2011, 06:27
im envious!i live in this one probably need beans to propell it:kilroy: