PDA

View Full Version : Data for Model Animations, FS2002 and later Simulators

ChristopherT
November 11th, 2011, 16:15
Where is the data held for animations of the .mdl file for FS2002 and later sims? Is in the .mdl file or the Aircraft.cfg file? Shift-E opens and closes doors, G-Raises and lowers the gear, and Shift-W lowers and raises the Water Rudder. I have one aircraft which has animation in the VC but all the author said was that you need to use Shift-W to activate it. He doesn't say wether Shift-W should be the tailhook, wingfold or anything else! The file in question is on Flightsim.com, blt-a4-.zip, FS2004, Koensayr BLT-A4 Y-Wing. I converted it to FS2002 format using the MDLC MDL Converter by Ivan Hsu!

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher Tarana

Milton Shupe
November 11th, 2011, 20:55
Animations require "names" or "tags" that the compiler "makemdl" recognizes, so those parts are named and animated in the model file.

Keyframe animations are "defined" and animated in gmax, but are also somewhat controlled by the aircraft cfg. Things like complex flaps, gear, or door animations.

Other things are just named in gmax, but the animation is controlled by the sim; parts like ailerons, elevators, and rudders are in this category.

Most animations have default key assignments by the sim, but it is possible to setup your own through xml or panel gauges.

My guess is that he used a standard animation tag that is not used on most aircraft, like the water rudder or wing fold commands.
You might also email th author for help.

My suggestion is try shift+w to see what happens.

hairyspin
November 12th, 2011, 01:39
Once you get to FSX it's a whole new ball game - the 'stock' animations no longer work and all animations have to be modelled in gmax/Max/FSDS, then activated with the FSX animation tools. The animation in the game is then controlled by XML - and aircraft.cfg in some cases - but almost anything you like can now be animated. It's just so much more to learn...

ChristopherT
November 13th, 2011, 16:47
Animations require "names" or "tags" that the compiler "makemdl" recognizes, so those parts are named and animated in the model file.

My guess is that he used a standard animation tag that is not used on most aircraft, like the water rudder or wing fold commands.
You might also email the author for help.

My suggestion is try shift+w to see what happens.

Could it be that translating the .mdl file from FS2004 from to FS2002 could have an effect? I have some modeling and animating experience (www.orbithangar.com (http://www.orbithangar.com) - Search ChristopherT). I've been known to beat my head on the wall getting a mesh to move right after accidently changing a model. I've set up keys for Wing Folding, Tailhook, Concorde Nose up and down too. The Shift-W doesn't have an effect in the VC. I think that's because the aircraft.cfg file lacks the proper contact points. I'll try to email the author this week! :icon_lol:

Thanks Guys!

ChristopherT

ChristopherT
November 13th, 2011, 16:53
Once you get to FSX it's a whole new ball game - the 'stock' animations no longer work and all animations have to be modelled in gmax/Max/FSDS, then activated with the FSX animation tools. The animation in the game is then controlled by XML - and aircraft.cfg in some cases - but almost anything you like can now be animated. It's just so much more to learn...

I think I'll stick with FS2002 with hopes of getting a copy of FS2004 soon. FSX would probably mean a whole new computer and Microsoft "Flight" would mean a new X-Box 360! I don't mind the learning, it took me a year just to figure out how to put the NCC number on a starship model! That's why I like hanging around here! The learning is constant, 24/7! :wavey:

n4gix
November 17th, 2011, 05:58
Microsoft "Flight" would mean a new X-Box 360!

Microsoft have made it crystal clear that "Flight" will be a PC only release. No bloody "X-Box" required... :173go1: