PDA

View Full Version : Truk Scenery

kwb737
November 10th, 2011, 10:31
I installed the original Truk Scenery by Jean Bomber. Followed the read me instructions to the letter but it won't show up. Can anyone help me out?
Thanks.

Jagdflieger
November 10th, 2011, 11:19
Did you put the files into a folder that needs to be activated through the scenery library? If you did, then just:

From your menu (alt key) go to the Options>Scenery Library>Add and then use the drop down window to add your new folder with the new files for Truck.

If you put the files into an already active folder (ie. Scenery>World>Scenery) then perhaps if you delete the .dat file for the folder you will see the new scenery. CFS 2 will rebuild the .dat file with the new scenery added, so don't worry about discarding it.

kwb737
November 10th, 2011, 11:40
Did you put the files into a folder that needs to be activated through the scenery library? If you did, then just:

From your menu (alt key) go to the Options>Scenery Library>Add and then use the drop down window to add your new folder with the new files for Truck.

If you put the files into an already active folder (ie. Scenery>World>Scenery) then perhaps if you delete the .dat file for the folder you will see the new scenery. CFS 2 will rebuild the .dat file with the new scenery added, so don't worry about discarding it.

I put the "AtollTruk" and "TrukIslands" Folders in my Scene B folder at step 5 after completing steps 1 -4, I then activated them through my scenery library. I have also deleted all my Dat Files associated with this install. Still they don't show up. Did I not do something that was not mentioned in the read me file? I've put different sceneries in many times and this is the first time this has happened.

JapLance
November 10th, 2011, 12:56
If the problem is that the you can't find the airfields in the Free Flight list to get there, they're not listed as Truk, but Moen, Param and Eten (stock game airfields).

If the problem is something else... forget this post :mixedsmi:.

Jagdflieger
November 10th, 2011, 18:42
I'll bet you've got it Japlance.

Happened to me the first time I installed Truck.

kwb737
November 10th, 2011, 20:23
Thanks so much for the possible solution. I'm at work right now but will check it out tommorow. I'll let you know what happens. Your were right in that I was looking for a location named "Truk" but didn't see it.

JapLance
November 10th, 2011, 22:46
I don't know how to do it, but it would be very helpful to have the stock airfield list changed to more specific names that allow for better identification, like Truk-Moen or Rabaul-Lakunai. I think most people is not very familiar with many of those names.

kwb737
November 10th, 2011, 23:04
Yep that was it however the scenery doesn't quite look like it's suppose to. I'll play around with it a bit.

JapLance
November 10th, 2011, 23:08
If it helps, this is how Truk looks in my CFS2:

kwb737
November 10th, 2011, 23:16
Boy I wish mine looked like that! Mine has lots of large squares as viewed from around 5000 ft. Something isn't right. Any advice would help. Thanks.

JapLance
November 10th, 2011, 23:27
The large green and brown square stuff is related to copying textures into other CFS2 folders.

step 3
CUSTOM LINES
Place the two texture bmps waveshoresu.bmp and coralsu.bmp in your ...\Combat Flight Simulator 2\SCENEDB\world\texture

and (VERY IMPORTANT)

in your...\Combat Flight Simulator 2\TEXTURE

This is the usual solution for the large square problem. If it doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

Shadow Wolf 07
November 11th, 2011, 03:46
The large green and brown square stuff is related to copying textures into other CFS2 folders.

This is the usual solution for the large square problem. If it doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

Try copying the textures from the CFS2 Scenedb/ World / Textures forlder to the main CFS2 Textures folder and see if that fixes the prob. :wavey:

SW

kwb737
November 11th, 2011, 09:15
Try copying the textures from the CFS2 Scenedb/ World / Textures forlder to the main CFS2 Textures folder and see if that fixes the prob. :wavey:

SW

Beautiful!!!!!! Shadow, thanks so very much!! That was the problem!! Thank you again!! What great looking scenery!

Jagdflieger
November 12th, 2011, 09:52
Glad you got that worked out!

Jean's Truck is one of my favorite places to just fly around in when flying CFS 2.

dog1
November 15th, 2011, 05:04
why dont you install my TRUK? it comes with the overhauled IJA bases and a lot more.its in the archives under DOG1.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=dog1

Worthless
November 15th, 2011, 06:15
why dont you install my TRUK? it comes with the overhauled IJA bases and a lot more.its in the archives under DOG1.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=dog1

I run both. The JeanB scenery in one install and DOG1 in another. No question DOG1 has the best land bases and ships in his scenery, but you simply can't beat JeanBomber's ocean colors and reefs. They are magnificent. I tried combining PacBlues with JB's scenery but it never looked right.

I wish I could combine the ocean scenery from JB and the land bases from Dog1, but even if it were possible I expect that would be a bridge too far for me.

dog1
November 15th, 2011, 06:21
jean bombers scenery is incorporated in my install,i thought it all appeared together with pactex as a base offcourse.

kwb737
November 15th, 2011, 10:28

After I got the first one working correctly I did install your enhanced scenery. Thank you.

dog1
November 15th, 2011, 15:55
i wish Pen 32Win and others would develope new IJA AA to replace the old ugly default ones as per my previous thread so we could have real anti air effect during missions with adjustable and working AI.

Worthless
November 17th, 2011, 19:00
jean bombers scenery is incorporated in my install,i thought it all appeared together with pactex as a base offcourse.

I just get in a hurry sometimes and don't follow the fine print. The reference to JB's scenery is right there just at Dog1 stated. The link is blown, but the reference where to get it at SOH is enough. Looks good too. Won't wonders never cease?

Jagdflieger
November 18th, 2011, 07:23
Al,

I moved your last post to our moderation-review forum.

Please read the rules of the road posted on the home page.

CrisGer
November 18th, 2011, 09:10
The problem with Jean Bomber's wonderful Truk is that it uses the original green gloom textures for the pacific which are too green for realism. When I used Pacific Blues and worked on developing a new set of accurate Blue Pacific textures i had to adjust Jean's custom water class textures and that turned out to be very hard to do well, as the tones are very subtle. The lagoon colours of the pacific atolls have to be seen to be believed, they are amazingly intensely blue and so i shelved my project and will probably just keep the originals as it is to much work to try to get the blue right thorughout the range of shallow and deep water textures. Dog's Truk is very nice, the only thing i changed was the position of the anchored ships as it was too regular like cars in a parking lot to be accurate. Otherwise it is a great addition and really gives the sense of Truk being the Japanese Gibraltar of the Pacific as it was for the early war years until the USN started using it as a prime target for the airedales.

dog1
November 18th, 2011, 13:33
"CRISGER"
Thats why i mentioned pactex and the coral option file.You did well modifying postions of objects and even deleting if you wish,dont forget to save,this can greatly influence your FPS and improve gameplay.
go to
Flightsim

digit *pactex* then download Pactex 2 E file this is the coral set.