PDA

View Full Version : OT: Spitfire guns firing after 70 years buried in peat

BeauBrummie
November 10th, 2011, 00:34
An excavation at the site of a 1941 Spitfire crash in a bog in the Irish Republic uncovered huge, remarkably preserved chunks of plane and six Browning machine guns. After 70 years buried in peat could they be made to fire?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15652440

HouseHobbit
November 10th, 2011, 00:44
Yes good old American Browning machine guns, take a beating keep on ticking..LOL..

John M Browning designed many of the machine guns used in the world..

Including those supplied and licensed for the Brits during the war..
doesn't surprise me that they would work..

Heck the m2 (Maw Deuce)( Browning designed) still is the main .50 cal gun MG used by modern armed forces today..
same ones my father and grandfather and I used in the Army..

As a gunsmith I learned a great deal about John M Browning..
And his American designed MG's are still are a marvel..

Not be surprised to see these shoot even after 70 years buried..

Pat Pattle
November 10th, 2011, 05:01
Amazing. I'd love to hear how all eight of them sound though!!

HouseHobbit
November 10th, 2011, 11:26
That would be interesting to hear I agree.. I doubt if the old .303 rounds would have the deep sound the .50 cals have..
Most likely sound like a bad running Singer sewing machine..With the old .303 rounds..:icon_lol:

Pat Pattle
November 10th, 2011, 21:00
Most likely sound like a bad running Singer sewing machine..With the old .303 rounds

:icon_lol:

Ha ha Owen!

I've read that the eight .303's sounded like 'The sound of ripping calico', there was a discussion about it here once which led to the eight gun sound we have in the ETO and BoB installs.

HouseHobbit
November 11th, 2011, 02:08
:icon_lol:

Ha ha Owen!

I've read that the eight .303's sounded like 'The sound of ripping calico', there was a discussion about it here once which led to the eight gun sound we have in the ETO and BoB installs.

"Ripping Calico" That would be something to hear..
I have a Calico Kitty
Let me see, how this sounds..

OUCH!! Nope doesn't sound right!!
I think I need a hospital. Never try to Rip a Calico Kitty, where is first aid kit when I need it..

Animal
November 11th, 2011, 13:55
:applause:That's flippin awsome!