PDA

View Full Version : FSX crashes to desktop

roger-wilco-66
November 8th, 2011, 10:17
Until now, I always was able to fix FSX and usually could track problems down.
But now I'm puzzled. Somehow my FSX installation is corrupted.
I can start it, all modules (REX, SDK stuff...) are initialized properly, the default start menu comes up, but as soon as I change into free flight mode and the graphic window is displayed, I see a messed up aircraft (e.g. the default MS trike) with displaced parts and FSX crashes. The error messages references the module visualfx.dll.
I checked the dll.xml for bad entries and let FSX rebuild the fsx.cfg, to no avail. The subfolder structure under the FSX root dir seems to be OK.
For the best I know I did not change anything prior to the first crash, aside from installing a lot of Razbam aircraft lately because of the sale. I'm sure this has nothing to do with it, because they all worked all right.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Cheers,
Mark

Meshman
November 8th, 2011, 10:26
Updated video drivers? I saw something about nVidia's latest causing a lot of problems and not just with FSX.

OleBoy
November 8th, 2011, 10:30
Just for reference, I'm using the latest nVidia drivers with my GTX570 and have no troubles whatsoever.

Dave Torkington
November 8th, 2011, 10:33
Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I've heard of this before, but can't recall the root cause... Here's a link that may help http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?221231-FSX-messed-up-planes-Help/page2
(http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?221231-FSX-messed-up-planes-Help/page2)
A few comments about graphics settings, but Seems to indicate a Direct X or C++ issue?

Good luck with solving it :salute:

Dave.

roger-wilco-66
November 8th, 2011, 10:59
Hi Mark,

[...]
(http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?221231-FSX-messed-up-planes-Help/page2)
A few comments about graphics settings, but Seems to indicate a Direct X or C++ issue?

Good luck with solving it :salute:

Dave.

Hmmm, DirextX.... I saw that Il2 COD made a DX change a few days ago when I installed it. I tried to reinstall the may version now, but it says theres no need because the same version is installed.
Everything else - including IL2 COD - runs fine. Just FSX barfes.

Nvidia Driver version is 285.62 on a GTX 460 .

Cheers,
Mark

mal998
November 9th, 2011, 03:53
If all else fails do a Windows restore to a date before the problems started. You can then add one new install at a time. If the problem shows itself again after a particular install you will know which one is causing the problem.

lawlegge
December 13th, 2011, 19:24
Visualfx.dll

I have had this error but when it happens, FSX won't start at all, unlike what you have described. I will relate my findings anyway, in hopes that it may help.

What I have found, after e x t e n s i v e research, is that this error usually shows up after a change/addition to the "Airplanes" folder, and seems to be related to the "FSX.cfg\[USERINTERFACE]\SITUATION=" section. This is the "default flight" and I found (ALWAYS BACKUP your .CFG FILE) if you delete the line after

"SITUATION="

FSX will start up. Then, if you wish, you can go back and reset your default flight via the "Free Flight\Load\(choose your flight)\Make this the default flight" menu.

Law Legge

LUCE1
December 14th, 2011, 11:33
Messed up aircraft + ctd usually has to do with a corrupted shade3 mod, if you have it.
I had similar stuff, fixed with cleaning/reinstalling shade 3 mod.
cheers
/Mario