PDA

View Full Version : Getting started - help please.

dhasdell
November 6th, 2011, 01:22
I've installed the unlimited demo from the PC Pilot CD and registered and activated the game online, but while the graphics are stunning the controls seem to make little sense. View commands (f1 for instance) seem to change from session to session, the top hat sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and I have never yet been able to control the throttle. I have looked at the options menu and find such entries as Joy0_b0 for the guns. Is this right? Am I missing something, or have I somehow botched the install?

2Low
November 6th, 2011, 21:27
Hello dhasdell,

You are going to have to set most of the controls yourself. I am just going through this myself. It can be a bit clunky but it can be done!

Navigate through Options/Controls/PlaneControls. Here you see all the things you can set yourself.

Find the "Engines control: throttles" option .
Look at the 3 boxes to the right of the "Engines control: throttles".
One of the boxes should show "minus/equals" that is the keyboard commands for throttle up and down, leave that one alone.
If one of the other boxes show a joystick assigned you need to re-assign it because it is not working with your joystick, or if they are both blank you need to assign one to your joystick.

Left click where you are making your throttle assignment.
(clicking in a box with an assignment will re-assign it, clicking in a blank box creates a new assignment)

A dialoge bow will open;

------------------------------------------------------------
Push device button or move axis to assign

Engines control: throttle

mouse_axis_Y <------watch for this guy (may be slightly different for you)

APPLY RETRY CANCEL
--------------------------------------------------------

The difficulty here is that it almost always detects a mouse movement at this point and offers to assign whatever option you are trying to adjust to the mouse.

So click on RETRY, then imediatly after move your joystick throttle forward.
Hopefully the game detected this and the line that said "mouse_axis_Y" should now read something like "joystick1_axis_2". If so, hit apply. It may still offer the mouse just keep hitting RETRY and doing it over until it works. (Hold the mouse real still when clicking RETRY)

Repeat this procedure for any other assignments you wish to make.

I hope this helps,
Rob

dhasdell
November 7th, 2011, 05:33
Thank you. I have made some progress, and managed a flight or two. Flushed with excitement I have even splashed out on the SE5a. Now another question: where does one download skins? I have found some at the RoF website, but nowhere near as many as I expected, and none at all for the SE. So where do the pics on the loading screens come from?

2Low
November 7th, 2011, 06:33
Glad you are making progress, it is fun. I die a lot more than I kill which is realistic but I need lots of practice.

Go to riseofflightdotcom and click on community at the top.

The forums will open and up top again there is a link to Usefull Materials, click that.

In the midlle of the screen is all the skin packs. The top one is 777's official skin pack and then there is 8 packs each for fictional and historic skins made by the community.

You can find good stuff on this page, have a look around it.

Fly smooth,
Rob

dhasdell
November 7th, 2011, 06:59
Thanks again - I had seen that page, but I misread the layout and thought the packs referred to the a/c alongside them! Downloading Vol 8 now.