PDA

View Full Version : How to best Beam Wireless Internet to a house 300yards away?

Cerberus
December 15th, 2008, 03:58
I didn't see a computer forum, so feel free to move this thread if need be.

My girlfriend’s Aunt is letting me move into her vacant house here shortly. It's outside the town, so I am going to have to get Hughes Net or some other type of satellite internet, any Recommendations?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Anyways, the girlfriends mom lives next door no more than 300 yards away, and since the girlfriend is going to be living there for a bit, I am going to be back and forth and I want my laptop to work at both houses. There is also a nice area I can use as a target shooting lane about ~400 yards in the opposite direction. Be nice if I could access the net from there as well.
I need some equipment advice to achieve adequate sending and receiving signal.

Thanks for the help
:mixedsmi:

harleyman
December 15th, 2008, 04:09
Ummm Beats me how to do that.....I'm not sure that you can tap a sat. from that distance,or if you can even get a signal like that ....

Highes net is a thought..But very expensive....

I had it once,and have changed to DSL once it was avaible in my area....

They used to make you buy the equipment,and I did for like over 300 bucks...

I still have the satellite and modem,but its not in use......Let me know if you're intrested in it ...Not real sure the modem is current enough to work,but I see no real reason why it shouldn't.....

txnetcop
December 15th, 2008, 05:53
Maybe this will do it for around $200. Wireless router at her end would not be a bad addition either rather than going direct to her system. Call or live chat and talk to a rep at this location first:

http://www.home-technology-store.com/home-security/GE-80-922.aspx?iorb=4764

GE 80-922 Wireless Range Extender(Repeater)

Is Wirless Range a Problem? - Add a GE Wireless Security Repeater to extend the range of your GE Sensors to 1000' Line of Sight.
Features:

Dual-Antenna Receiver for Imporved Sensor Data Reception
Tampers Protect Wall, Cover, and Antenna
Supervisory Reports every 64 Minutes
LED indicated Power Status
SAW Receiver, Crystal Transmitter

Specifications:

Power: 12 VDC (Included)
Range: 1000' Open Air
Dimensions: 4.65" (W) 6.5" (H) 1.33" (D)
Weight 5.6 oz
Color - Belgain Gray
319.5 Mhz Repeater

Ted

BTW I love the new Texan for FSX thank you

gera
December 15th, 2008, 06:21
I didn't see a computer forum, so feel free to move this thread if need be.

My girlfriend’s Aunt is letting me move into her vacant house here shortly. It's outside the town, so I am going to have to get Hughes Net or some other type of satellite internet, any Recommendations?<o:p></o:p>
Anyways, the girlfriends mom lives next door no more than 300 yards away, and since the girlfriend is going to be living there for a bit, I am going to be back and forth and I want my laptop to work at both houses. There is also a nice area I can use as a target shooting lane about ~400 yards in the opposite direction. Be nice if I could access the net from there as well.
I need some equipment advice to achieve adequate sending and receiving signal.

Thanks for the help
:mixedsmi:

Hey friend......you are going to be in "Hell´s Alley" living between an-- Aunt and a Mother---take care and behave yourself!!!!:kilroy:...your technical problem is peanuts!!!!, do think the whole setup a little bit more!!!!

Wozza
December 15th, 2008, 06:28
Hi
If you can get your hands on a couple of parabolic dish's from an old sat tv supplier(or make em yourself) you can use em to extend the range of wifi
have a look at this booooaring vid to get the idea ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLzN1OXCKP8
cheers
Wozza

Navy Chief
December 15th, 2008, 07:08
If you do manage to get a wireless connection to go that far, make sure you make it a secure one, password protected!

NC

Lionheart
December 15th, 2008, 10:44
I wonder if you can have the phone company run a cable? The cable company might even do this also. They would feed it through the local wire routing. A plugin signal booster would also be in the loop.

If they 'could' do that, then you would have a cable, no wireless system, and less to worry about on being compromised on security, and I think it would be faster.

Bill

TeaSea
December 15th, 2008, 15:37
Fiber.

TeaSea
December 15th, 2008, 16:00
Seriously, your options are as follows:

1) Extend a connection using a Line of Sight (LOS) transmitter, which as wozza indicated, you can actually do using some pretty basic parts...This will probably drive you insane -- clearly it has done so for the individual trying to explain it in the youtube video. I do tactical comms for a living and this is our standard answer....but we have kit designed to do it.
I don't think you're interested in the 50K these radio's cost, are you?

2) Run a cable. 300' is pretty long for CAT V cable, and not knowing the exact parameters of your situation....you might not be able to do that. It's not too long for fiber, but fiber is a bitch to work with and the terminators are a bit pricey. Still have to figure out how to get it to where you want it to go. Once you get it there you can drop off a wireless router or access point just like in the solution above...if you're still sane. I've run wire and cable for miles over all kinds of terrain. The most difficult terrain is in a town.

3) Call the local cable company or Telecom who does this....after trying the above options, you will see why they get paid for this.

4) Buy a satty service, which is an awful lot like option #3, but after trying option 1 and 2 you will appreciate why these companies get paid for what they do.

5) My recommendation, obtain a broadband wireless subscription through TMobile or some other company. This will include the card. I run about 40 of these cards for my teams at work. They use EDGE or GPRS to access data (just like a BlackBerry). They are slow, but they work well enough to keep my folks in touch and support VPN, which isn't too shabby, and there are ways you can speed it up (ensure your area has a footprint). All of my cards also get regular WiFi access and you can toggle between the two. This may appear to be a pricey option, but in reality is probably the easiest and cheapest overall and provides the most flexibility. You model airplanes...take it off as a business expense. Or better yet, design us a new model, sell it, and use the monies to buy the service.

N2056
December 15th, 2008, 16:04
Take a look at this...uses a Pringle's can!
http://www.cantenna.com/

TeaSea
December 15th, 2008, 16:05
one other thing...txnetcop's suggestion may be a good option, but it will depends on your ability to house the extenders and keep them powered. We've used similar kit in some situations. But remember it probably costs you more than the EDGE/GPRS solution.

Butcherbird17
December 15th, 2008, 16:21
Or just get a Mobile broadband card for the laptop. AT&T, Sprint and Verizon have em and then you could go anywhere (within the coverage area).

Edit. didn't read TeaSea's post before posting myself.

Joe