PDA

View Full Version : Smoke effects

noddy
November 1st, 2011, 14:06
My smoke effects seems to have gone a bit wrong, all I get is the black blocks per the shots below.

This is on all models, including the high g vapour as well, however the wing tip effects is uneffected.

Any help would be great. I do you Shade, but only got this yesterday. The only thing I installed recently are the Cera Bell222 and IRIS Twister.

peter12213
November 1st, 2011, 14:38
Whenever I get something like this I think what have I uninstalled, chances are it's an aircraft you have uninstalled which has taken smoke texture files away with it, I happened to me a while back.

GypsyBaron
November 1st, 2011, 18:00
Look in yout aircraft.cfg "Effects" section and find the file name that relates to the problem "smoke".

Then go to your FSX "Effects" folder and locate the .fx file. Open it with any text editior. Scan down through the
various "PaticleAttributes" entries and note the Texture entries. Then look to see if they still exist in the
"Effects\texture" folder, Chances are you will find one of them missing or corrupt.

This is a partial entry from the "fx_engsmoke.fx" file:

[ParticleAttributes.0]
Blend Mode=1
Texture=fx_1.bmp

Paul

Dave Torkington
November 1st, 2011, 22:06
Whenever I get something like this I think what have I uninstalled, chances are it's an aircraft you have uninstalled which has taken smoke texture files away with it, I happened to me a while back.

I've had this happen a time or two, so now I keep a backup of my FSX effects folder just in case.

I recall seeing a post that recommended d/loading the FSX Demo to get the default effects, but can't recall how to safely extract the effects files without installing it...

noddy
November 2nd, 2011, 00:19
Thanks guys, yes I to have a back of the effects folder, so copied that across. Didn't get chance to test though. If that has failed will give the fix above.

noddy
November 2nd, 2011, 13:46
Well it seems the .bmp files had disappeared!

All back and working again, so paul thanks for pointing me in the right directon.

FSX68
November 2nd, 2011, 14:02
My smoke effects seems to have gone a bit wrong, all I get is the black blocks per the shots below.

This is on all models, including the high g vapour as well, however the wing tip effects is uneffected.

Any help would be great. I do you Shade, but only got this yesterday. The only thing I installed recently are the Cera Bell222 and IRIS Twister.

I used this gauge recovery program and it works wonders to restore those blocky black squares like your are experiencing. I've seen a lot of people prescribe every thing from installing
the FSX repair disk to installing the FSX demo...well I am here to tell ya that this little utility (freeware) does the trick to restore the missing files that were accidentally deleted.

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/fsx-utilities-84/gauges-recovery-for-fsx-39772.html

As the of the most memorable Alka-SeltzerŪ ads use to say "Try it....you'll like it!!!"

italoc
November 3rd, 2011, 06:57
The Gauge Recovery thing from Avsimrus is much more than an Alka Seltzer: is a genial little program which has very quickly given me back some "smoke" effects that, for some reason, got lost in my sys. :applause::applause:

Thanks Richoday for your advice :salute:

Italo