PDA

View Full Version : VRS Superbug Help.

peter12213
November 1st, 2011, 05:27
Hi guys, can anyone help me the superbug doesn't seem to handle well in my sim, it feels sluggish with lots of inertia is this correct? Tried FCS resets but still get a CHK TRIM, on my left Display, whats the fix for this, normal trim does not seems to affect this? Loving this bird though its fantasic!:salute:

CodyValkyrie
November 1st, 2011, 05:50
Hi guys, can anyone help me the superbug doesn't seem to handle well in my sim, it feels sluggish with lots of inertia is this correct? Tried FCS resets but still get a CHK TRIM, on my left Display, whats the fix for this, normal trim does not seems to affect this? Loving this bird though its fantasic!:salute:

First and foremost, you're going to need to forget everything you have learned about combat jet aircraft, and furthermore about fly-by-wire.

The Super Hornet is a heavy bird, and she flies a bit like one. While being fully combat capable, some concessions had to be made to meet the requirements. You will notice that all the pylons are angled and this this creates quite a bit of drag. The Super Hornet will struggle to hit mach speed at sea level even while clean. A lot of developers will significantly exaggerate how a high performance plane will operate. If you fly this like a lot of the planes made for FS, you're going to get yourself in trouble quickly. She CAN do all those neat maneuvers you see and more, but you need to think about your energy like a combat pilot. If you are carrying a truckload of bombs however, she's going to perform like a slug sitting on top of a turtle. I would recommend flying her "clean." Go into your ACM and set your plane up to fly without any weapons. Once you get a feel for the plane, then start loading her up.

The fly-by-wire system of this aircraft virtually eliminates any need for trim. Although you can still utilize it, the system is made such that if you pull your nose to 20 degrees elevation, she will stick and hold it there once you center your stick. Throughout your entire flight, your plane will precisely go where you point her as long as she is aerodynamically capable of doing so. The plane itself will take care of the rest to ensure that it can fly even while a typical human would not be able to control her. You can actually go to an exterior view while in slow flight and watch your plane's surfaces react to your controls, making small adjustments to keep your plane aloft. It's quite fun to watch. This means that during landings, etc, you will not have to trim your aircraft as you traditionally would. The system created for the Superbug is the most in depth fly-by-wire system ever implemented in FSX, and was the collaboration of an aerodynamic engineer's coding being meshed to work the dynamics outside of FSX as a result. No cutting corners here, as most developers craft a fake FBW system by making the default trim do some funky things to "emulate" the process, whereas this system is dynamic and quite real.

At speed the Super Hornet is quite capable, however she will not maneuver even like an F-16 will. One of the advantages however of a Hornet versus a more traditional aircraft is it's ability to get nose on target quickly, due to critical AOA movements which are designed into the aircraft. While you won't be able to turn with an F-16 for example, you can quite easily get that nose where she needs to be regardless of your flight profile... even to the point of getting yourself into quite a bit of trouble. This system allows you to perform true high AOA approaches like you see in airshows. Even the flaps on the aircraft are designed into the FBW system. When you set your flaps, you're not actually actuating the flaps themselves directly, but rather commanding the system to set the flaps. This can confuse people because at certain flight regimes, the control surfaces will not react like you would expect them to.

When you start thinking of yourself as more of the captain of your ship, commanding your crew (the plane), you're going to find that she will perform quite well. She is sluggish, and doesn't have the most amazing roll rate, but this is highly realistic.

peter12213
November 1st, 2011, 06:21
Cody that makes an aweful lot of sense mate, much appreciated, and I do find this bird to be awesome fun knowing now that it should handle like this I can trully start to learn the idiosyncrasies of it.

letourn
November 1st, 2011, 13:26
CHK TRIM indicate you that you need to trim for take off either on land or see. You need to push a button on your left side T/O TRIM. I havent fly the Bug for a long time i hope i remembered the right name for the button.

peter12213
November 1st, 2011, 14:13
Yeah your right mate also shortcut, CTRL + T does the job. One question though whats the button to fire the gun and missile/Bombs?

CodyValkyrie
November 1st, 2011, 14:16
I think it is mapped to open or close cowl flaps. Check the manual, as I am not 100% sure at the moment and can't test it just yet. Just assign this to a button of your choosing. Make sure the system is armed and the weapon specified.

peter12213
November 1st, 2011, 14:36
Yeah thats it cheers mate!