PDA

View Full Version : How many CFS3 users are there?

Pat Pattle
November 1st, 2011, 04:18
Hi all,

There always seem to be the same few folks who post on this forum whilst others are happy just to browse. Out of interest I was wondering how many of us there really are. I've listed the main incarnations of CFS3 (not including OFF as that to me is a completely different sim) If we all pick one favourite then that's some idea of numbers.

Would also be intersting to hear the reasons why or why not and what folks would like to see in the future.

Thanks,

Clive

Pat Pattle
November 1st, 2011, 04:24
No guesses to what I voted for. I have 3 or 4 different installs but mostly use the BoB one as it is also where I test new stuff.

KellyB
November 1st, 2011, 04:34
What if you fly 'em all? One can only vote for one.
I also fly BoB a lot.
I even fly OFF a bit, which I see as sort of another CFS3 version, tho not really.

Emile
November 1st, 2011, 05:03
Hello,
I "fly" all of them and wait for Rising Sun ...
It's great:jump:

Pat Pattle
November 1st, 2011, 05:10
Hi kelly,

I only put that you could vote for 1 as this gives a total number of users. You can then post and say what other versions you fly.- if you wish.

I ought to add one to the stock vote as my son loves flying the campaign (the little s*ds way better than I am!)

BeauBrummie
November 1st, 2011, 05:32
As you can probably guess I fly mainly ETO, but also MAW and very occasionaly Korea and PTO - the amount of time I don't have is the deciding factor.:mixedsmi:

rbp71854
November 1st, 2011, 05:50
I don't fly much these days. Mostly connect dots. :) But I would have to say that PTO and CBI fill what time I do get to fly.

Bob

Led Zeppelin
November 1st, 2011, 06:07
I've selected others.

I mainly fly ETO and MAW. Sometimes, when I want a change, I fly PTO.

I don't fly Korea.

I don't fly Bob, I've imported stuff from it into ETO. I flew so much Battle of Britain (Their Finest Hours, EAW..) that now, I want to have a different experience, especially maritime operations (Catalina, Sunderland, amphibious assaults...).

italflyer
November 1st, 2011, 07:09
I'm flying ETO and MAW mostly. Right now, I'm involved in betatesting the new Rising Sun, so not much time left for the other theaters :running:.

HouseHobbit
November 1st, 2011, 08:08
I usually fly ETO and MAW, as said for a change I go to PTO..
I often use CFS3 to test new aircraft and items..
And use CFS3 often because of the advanced set up I have
just for sight seening..

popsaka
November 1st, 2011, 08:28
:kilroy:-------------------- But MAW I especially enjoy. At the moment on the new pc its MAW and a clean install of stock for referencing, etc. My next mod will be yours (Clives') BoB mod ---prolly today! :jump:

cjcz7
November 1st, 2011, 09:23
I fly them all and found it hard to chose the 'best' as they are all fundamentally different

however I was forced to choose ETO purely because of the shear bulk of 'stuff' it provides and is available for it:jump:

Naismith
November 1st, 2011, 10:29
It is on my PC and has been since it was released in the year dot. I really want to like it, I dip in and out now and again but I just cannot find it as absorbing as CFS2 or indeed IL2.

Tailwind
November 1st, 2011, 10:35
Hi

My roots are with CFS3 on line MP dawg fighting. However, ETO is my game of choice due to the variety it offers for MP mission building.

I still pop in for a little CFS3 slaughter every now and then but ETO MP mission nights are my favorite

Cheers

TW

garykidman
November 1st, 2011, 10:41
Hello pat

In answer to your enquiry about who does what for me it has always been CFS3 but in firness I fly them all. I still feel that CFS3 form me is still the best simulator over IL2 and other combat simulators.
Because of it's flexibility in enabling addons to be run with it and the work that all you guys put into it is superb. It has brought CFS3 to life and i hope CFS3 goes on for a long while yet. Perhaps one day all the addons could be put in one big Interface instead of seperate one's. CFS3 is still for me.

AndyG43
November 1st, 2011, 11:06
Strictly speaking, at the moment I'm a lapsed CFS3er, but it is only a matter of time before it all gets reinstalled! I had a stock vanilla CFS3, a Firepowered version, the Korean War mod, ETO and MAW; when I reinstall BoB is likely to be added to the list. What will prompt me to finally make that jump; I just need you guys to give me a little greif!!

brundu841
November 1st, 2011, 11:22
MAW I vote but I like ETO, rarely I play a CFS3;
I like tinkering on airplanes, the engine sounds, in fact ,I tinker often and not play often:salute:

richcreator
November 1st, 2011, 11:49
i LIKE cfs3 with Firepower. I never fly axis or any allies other than U.S.A. so it's Korea and PTO for me.

hairyspin
November 1st, 2011, 12:23
I have a butchered (faster loading) version of ETO I use for development testing, so that's what I mostly fly. Except that development time eats heavily into actually flying! I do like ETO proper and MAW when I've stared at gmax enough for the moment, but I fully understand - and sympathise with - dancat's motto "No time 2 fly".

Like Clive, number one son flies stock CFS3 a lot...

Good thread this!

greycap.raf
November 1st, 2011, 12:48
The poll option I picked says "stock CFS3 with add-ons" but the reality is "CFS3.1a with everything useful stolen from ETO and MAW" as that's what meets my needs a lot better than anything available as a complete package. It mostly looks like ETO but plays like normal CFS3 and the aircraft are from so many sources that I've lost count.

KellyB
November 1st, 2011, 12:55
Hi kelly,

I only put that you could vote for 1 as this gives a total number of users. You can then post and say what other versions you fly.- if you wish.

I ought to add one to the stock vote as my son loves flying the campaign (the little s*ds way better than I am!)

Be of good cheer, Pat. I have discovered at my age that it's fun learning from my kids. That's especially true in computing; my son has his master's in this stuff!

FOO FIGHTER
November 1st, 2011, 13:41
I haven't had CFS3 installed for nearly three months now due to a PC crash, . . . that will change soon. I clicked ETO because it has the most to offer in terms of aircraft, scenery, missions, etc. I had all the different versions installed and enjoyed them greatly. I really love the KTO but I'm afraid it is drifting into history, there just isn't enough interest to sustain it.

Slaine
November 1st, 2011, 13:46
I voted ETO because of the fantastic amount of quality work that has gone into it. But I have to say that BoB comes a close second, then my modded install that has virtually everything in it and finally my allied bomber install with as many different lancs and mossies as I could lay hands on. Don't fly many German planes but deffinately no yank ones

lewis11777
November 1st, 2011, 14:29
I fly CFS3 heavily modified with some stand alone things and some things I borrowed from the other installs. My install has the best off all the add ons but I have had to trim it down recently because the file size makes the game start up times incredibly long.

MajorMagee
November 1st, 2011, 14:35
I fly them all, and have multiple-multiple installs (i.e. one for each ETO Era). They're all highly modified as well.

p.s. you left out OFF...

flyer01
November 1st, 2011, 16:51
I have all of them install but I like ETO the best.

middle
November 1st, 2011, 20:00
I may re-install the whole gamut after I set up another machine. At a certain point, I could no longer run ETo because I just could not get it smooth so it was very frustrating and as a lot of you know I was really into it for quite awhile. As the FX progressed, my FR's dropped. So these days I get vicarious thrills by readiung what the rest of you guys have been doing. Meanwhile, I picked up what's in the photo to keep me busy......

Old Tiger
November 2nd, 2011, 05:25
:wavey:I voted ETO, but I fly em all:salute:

rcafmad
November 2nd, 2011, 08:23
Thanks Pat

I voted ETO. But I try to fly all the add-ons.

My CFS3 was a gift from my Son March 2008. To date with the current add-ons (ETO,PTO,BoB,MAW,and DPC Korea). I have available 880 new

additional Aircraft and 1720 Missions from the original 28 aircraft and 24 Missions in CFS3.

At this time I want to Thank everyone associated with CFS3. You are making my Senior years enjoyable!

:icon29::icon29::icon29: :guinness::guinness::guinness:

richcreator
November 2nd, 2011, 11:45
I posted yesterday but I didn't vote so I voted today for Korea.
My main war machine is the Saber jet. :gameon:

PurpleBird
November 2nd, 2011, 18:01
Hi Pat :wavey:

PTO was my vote. had a thing for Baa Baa Black Sheep the late 70's tv show. :icon_lol:

ETO has so much you can do i fly it a lot also.

Barnstorm
November 3rd, 2011, 08:29
Thanks for opportunity to weigh-in, Pat. I choose ETO, but pretty much equally split my "flying" time between ETO and PTO at this time. I was heavily into OFF the past couple of years (P3-BH&H), and look forward to OBD's release of P4. Will start on MAW and Korea Skies this winter. For the number of 'active' members on our forum, I would have expected more responses.:kilroy:

Good poll topic....

Best Regards,

Barnstorm

HouseHobbit
November 4th, 2011, 13:48
I would like to add that my CFS3 is a very advanced set up, I never fly the stock CFS3 always my advanced set up..
Which I do fly often..Daily to be honest..
CFS 3 has been allowed to fall by the wayside for many due to the great expansions we now have..
But if one takes the time you can make CFS3 equal to the expansions for scenery and items that are available to all..
may have to build some more missions for CFS3 it seems..

Tiredoldman
November 5th, 2011, 20:47
I fly stock CFS 3 with a lot of add ons,as BOB, D-Day or Mosquito Combat.
I also managed to get MAW working and I really enjoy it as well as Korea.
But Iīm too stupid for ETO / PTO,no way to make them work,thereīs always a detail I forgot or misunderstood.
So Iīm a bit disheartened....
Perhaps someday Iīll be able to install it,letīs wait and see..:icon29:

richcreator
November 5th, 2011, 21:08
But Iīm too stupid for ETO / PTO,no way to make them work,thereīs always a detail I forgot or misunderstood.

Roger that, Tiredoldman.
My dad was of German decent. Maybe it's in our genes/DNA.

popsaka
November 5th, 2011, 22:30
....nonsense! -I am by far the crazier as I run down every last imperfection and impropriety for years at a time 'till it all crashes__________ and then I take a breath, breathe a 2 or 3 hard felt curses, and go do it all again! BTW would anyone care for a nut?:icon29:

Led Zeppelin
November 6th, 2011, 01:04
I never had any problem while installint PTO and ETO. ETO is a bit longer that PTO but that's all.

All you have to do is do exactly as explained in the readme. If something goes wrong, just post your question here at SoH.

If you have MAW running, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to to so with ETO and PTO.

dewoitine
November 6th, 2011, 01:43
Hello Clive, I fly (a little) ETO but my main hobby is : try to make texture (just for fun) of skins (always my problem with Gmax in English. if somebody knows a French version I take), French airfields.
In the near future I am going to try to show the result of airfields.

Led Zeppelin
November 6th, 2011, 07:32
In the near future I am going to try to show the result of airfields.
excellent!:jump:

Tiredoldman
November 8th, 2011, 02:03
Roger that, Tiredoldman.
My dad was of German decent. Maybe it's in our genes/DNA.
Yeah You may be right:jump:
But still I hope to find a way to go through it....:icon29:

Tiredoldman
November 8th, 2011, 02:08
....nonsense! -I am by far the crazier as I run down every last imperfection and impropriety for years at a time 'till it all crashes__________ and then I take a breath, breathe a 2 or 3 hard felt curses, and go do it all again! BTW would anyone care for a nut?:icon29:I had a good laugh popsaka,but in the end Iīm the craziest ( or is it the most crazy one ? )-maybe some day thereīs giong to be some progress,yet I canīt see it.:sleep:

vonOben
November 9th, 2011, 02:56
Hi

I voted ETO but I'm also interested in trying MAW and BoB in the future.
I've no interest in PTO or Korea.

Cheers

vonOben

hurricane3
November 14th, 2011, 07:19
I fly a stock CFS3 but I have added Firepower, D-Day,Korea, a bunch of of new planes and effects , and a little scenery.
One thing I hate is the way weapons are set up with pylons, don't know how many planes I've tried to install ,only to have the sim freeze up, some of the old Aeroplane Heaven planes with self installers which should include all the weapons and pylons you need ,like the Boomerang froze up my install.
I just think all planes should come with all the weapons and pylons included and do away with weapons packs and stuff. Just my opinon.

Pat Pattle
November 15th, 2011, 03:20
The polls now finished. Thanks for the replies :) some interesting stuff in there. I see there are more votes than replies so more folks are happy to just browse the forums than to post which is what I thought. Still not a great turnout though! ETO has by far the most, which was to be expected. We should run this again in a years time, we'll have other theatres to add to the list then.

I think us flyers who have stayed with cfs3 are a select few who appreciate what this old sim has to offer as an alternative to 'that other one'. As can be seen from some recent months posts that there's still a lot going on and not just in aircraft modelling.

Long may it continue!