PDA

View Full Version : OT - Now @ 3GHz!!!

DaveKDEN
December 14th, 2008, 15:29
Finally found a reliable source for trying my hand at overclocking my Dell XPS630i (got a bit snake-bit right after buying this machine with a BIG screw up on my part). HOWEVER, I'm now running a Quad Core 2.4GHz Q6600 stably at 3GHz (a 25% boost)! FSX runs FANTSATIC!!! :jump: Initially started out with a modest overclock to 2.6GHz (found the settings at anandtech) . Ran stable, but I noticed my multiplier was shifting between 6 and 9 (using CPUZ) - which significantly interfered with performance. Did some more looking and found a great site for XPS630i users;
http://www.my630i.com/
Great section on overclocking using BIOS changes allowing for a direct boot up to 3GHz. I'm not going to mess around with going any higher, as you have to use NVidia control panel after each boot-up to set higher speeds (and it only nets an increase to a stable 3.2GHz). I must say, it's like a getting new machine for free. Don't worry, I'll be cautious. Any system instability and I'll back off a bit.

One last thing - I've read in various posts about 3GHz being the "sweet spot" for FSX. Based on my results, I'd say I have to agree.

Roger
December 14th, 2008, 15:34
Don't know Dell, Dave but I wonder if your CPU fan is up to over-clocking? After some initial experimemnts with my 6600 Ted advised a big fan as the temps I was recording were on the high side (50 deg +), so I stuck a big Zalman and now I overclock my 6600 to 3.3 gigaHz.

DaveKDEN
December 14th, 2008, 15:38
Don't know Dell, Dave but I wonder if your CPU fan is up to over-clocking? After some initial experimemnts with my 6600 Ted advised a big fan as the temps I was recording were on the high side (50 deg +), so I stuck a big Zalman and now I overclock my 6600 to 3.3 gigaHz.

Yea, it mentions boosing your fan speed up a bit to compensate. I'll keep my eye on it. Already thinking about a better fan.
Current temps are;
Front - 22 c
Rear - 36 c
CPU average 50 c

Roger
December 14th, 2008, 15:59
50 average is perhaps a little high. I get 36 on load for 30 mins with that big fan. If Ted's about later he'll give you the definative. Certainly the Q6600 will over-clock nicely but it does start to get a little overheated above 2.8 gigaHz.

DaveKDEN
December 14th, 2008, 16:34
50 average is perhaps a little high. I get 36 on load for 30 mins with that big fan. If Ted's about later he'll give you the definative. Certainly the Q6600 will over-clock nicely but it does start to get a little overheated above 2.8 gigaHz.

Thanks for the info Roger! I had access to fan speed using NVidia control panel before, but I can't find it now??? Wonder if a display driver update removed tha capability? Any ideas how to boost the fan speed a bit? Windows VISTA Ultimate.

Cazzie
December 14th, 2008, 17:09
50° C is too hot!

I get a GPU of 22° C. HDD os 24° C, and SYS is 24° C.
I will say I am not at a lack of cooling fans, I use five!

I have never had my SYS temp go over 27° C and that was in FSX.

Caz

icarus
December 14th, 2008, 17:14
Quad Core 2.4GHz Q6600 is a nice processor i have overlocked too with default dissypator a 2.8 with with fsx in use at 43 degree, ...and i leave it as this because it's stable...i read on overlockers forums. ..about it survives also at 80, ..so it can live at 50-60(but better not use always at 60)

DaveKDEN
December 14th, 2008, 19:04
44 deg c to 48 deg c after a re-boot. Think I can live with that, but I'd still like to boost my fan speed up a bit.

harleyman
December 14th, 2008, 20:01
The boost is in the bios for the CPU fan.......

Need to know what mobo you have to turn it up...

Plus you might want to break down and replace the heatsink too..

The Q6600@2.4 will auto shut down before it gets to hot..If I remember right its like at 90 for shut down....

My old Q6600@2.4 ran at 44 ave and 48-52 under load...But I didn't install the heatsink,and think if I had it would run cooler ( was custom built)

icarus
December 14th, 2008, 20:09
i have used for some weeks also at 60 and didnt had any problems....it was overclocked at 3.2 but for better safety i have on 2.8 now...also didn't notice any difference 2.8 or 3.2 on fsx

The Q6600@2.4 will auto shut down before it gets to hot

true...

Wozza
December 15th, 2008, 03:23
Hi
Thermal specs for the Q6600
for SLACR spec # is 71 deg C (older stepping)
the SL9UM spec# is 62.2 deg C (newer stepping)
Intel processors will start to throttle or reduce processor frequency when these temps are approached or passed,so there is no real danger.
then again drive a car at redline day in day out betcha the motor dies sooner :)
cheers
Wozza

hews500d
December 15th, 2008, 05:09
50° C is too hot!

I get a GPU of 22° C. HDD os 24° C, and SYS is 24° C.
I will say I am not at a lack of cooling fans, I use five!

I have never had my SYS temp go over 27° C and that was in FSX.

Caz

What are you guys using to see your temps? That may be part of my problem where FSX crashes after a point. I"m using the ATi tray utility program that tells my graphics card temps and they're usually around 50 to 55 C :redf::redf::redf:

Darrell

icarus
December 15th, 2008, 05:27
i use two programs one is core temp. The uniqueness of it is that it shows the temperature of each individual core in each processor in your system! You can see in real time how the CPU temperature varies when you load your CPU. It's also completely motherboard independent. But there are some others good around.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

hews500d
December 15th, 2008, 05:30
i use two programs one is core temp. The uniqueness of it is that it shows the temperature of each individual core in each processor in your system! You can see in real time how the CPU temperature varies when you load your CPU. It's also completely motherboard independent. But there are some others good around.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Thanks Icarus! *off to download now*

Darrell

hinch
December 15th, 2008, 05:35
My old PC ran on average about 70 degrees...

I have a Q8800 now which runs at around 30 under a load and FSX performs brilliantly.

It's not up to overclocking but apparently it's kinder to the environment because it only needs a 600 watt PSU =D

Cazzie
December 15th, 2008, 05:51
What are you guys using to see your temps? That may be part of my problem where FSX crashes after a point. I"m using the ATi tray utility program that tells my graphics card temps and they're usually around 50 to 55 C :redf::redf::redf:

Darrell

Mine are shown on the front of the tower Darrell.

Caz

DaveKDEN
December 15th, 2008, 15:46
The boost is in the bios for the CPU fan.......

Need to know what mobo you have to turn it up...

Plus you might want to break down and replace the heatsink too..

The Q6600@2.4 will auto shut down before it gets to hot..If I remember right its like at 90 for shut down....

My old Q6600@2.4 ran at 44 ave and 48-52 under load...But I didn't install the heatsink,and think if I had it would run cooler ( was custom built)

Found it. Model 0PP150, with a nForce 650i SLI SPP Chipset.

Bjoern
December 16th, 2008, 05:09
It's not up to overclocking but apparently it's kinder to the environment because it only needs a 600 watt PSU =D

That depends on the PSU.

If it's a high quality one with higher output, it will still drain less than a poor quality one with lower output.

A good quality 400W PSU would be enough to run my current config (see signature).

As for environmentally friendly: A high quality PSU with an output of 600W and an efficiency of 83% will take about 722W from the wall plug (600W/0.83).
A poor quality PSU with an output of 500W and an efficiency of 69% will take 724W from the main line (500W/0.69).

If you really care about birds and trees, you'll only get what you need (plus a bit of room for an upgrade) as effectively as it can get ("80 Plus" certified).

Not specifically meant for you, Hinch. Just a bit of general information.

hinch
December 16th, 2008, 08:41
That depends on the PSU.

If it's a high quality one with higher output, it will still drain less than a poor quality one with lower output.

A good quality 400W PSU would be enough to run my current config (see signature).

As for environmentally friendly: A high quality PSU with an output of 600W and an efficiency of 83% will take about 722W from the wall plug (600W/0.83).
A poor quality PSU with an output of 500W and an efficiency of 69% will take 724W from the main line (500W/0.69).

If you really care about birds and trees, you'll only get what you need (plus a bit of room for an upgrade) as effectively as it can get ("80 Plus" certified).

Not specifically meant for you, Hinch. Just a bit of general information.

Interesting to know, I've got an Antec power supply that also boasts of it's green potential so maybe I have lots to spare... SLi? Hehe.

DaveKDEN
December 16th, 2008, 10:43
Not to get too off topic here, but with all this talk about being green, folks need to realize the modern popular green movement is A LOT MORE about this kind of green "$$$", than green trees. I don't want to diminish LEGITIMATE environmental concerns, but modern green cultish fanaticism (lead by Al Gore and his mindless minions) is out of control.
Amazing the hype people will buy into. :bs:

Bjoern
December 16th, 2008, 12:01
Not to get too off topic here, but with all this talk about being green, folks need to realize the modern popular green movement is A LOT MORE about this kind of green "$$$", than green trees. I don't want to diminish LEGITIMATE environmental concerns, but modern green cultish fanaticism (lead by Al Gore and his mindless minions) is out of control.
Amazing the hype people will buy into. :bs:

Parts of every avalanche go astray, but I am glad that this avalanche is on its way in the first place.
Of course there's a truckload of Bravo Sierra out there concerning saving the environment, but I like the fact that the general idea has come to everyone's attention.

Interesting to know, I've got an Antec power supply that also boasts of it's green potential so maybe I have lots to spare... SLi? Hehe.

For FSX? Forget it. No advantage with SLI.

DaveKDEN
December 16th, 2008, 14:18
Maybe going too astray now, but I did start the thread.:mixedsmi:

Just a bit more on Global warming hysteria.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,468084,00.html

Once again, I don't mean to diminish legitimate environmental concerns, but the sky ISN'T falling Chicken Little.

Bjoern
December 17th, 2008, 12:08
*Cough*

Fox News...

*Cough*

But I think we should stop. After all, this is about Flightsimming and hardware and not about green vs not green.

Roger
December 17th, 2008, 12:26
Al Gore did the environmentalists a disservice. As a politician he added distrust not weight to the cause thus allowing gas guzzeling nations the right to ignore the facts and the facts are melting before our very eyes.

DaveKDEN
December 17th, 2008, 13:01
*Cough*

Fox News...

*Cough*

But I think we should stop. After all, this is about Flightsimming and hardware and not about green vs not green.

Funny how many criticize Fox news without actually ever watching it. As for me, I view many different sources of news, all with a VERY skeptical eye - including Fox.

On another note, day 3 now @3GHz without a single glitch. Temps running in the mid-40's to low 50's.

Bjoern
December 17th, 2008, 14:26
Keep those 3Ghz then.

If you dare, you can also try 3.2Ghz.
Make sure to watch the temps. The highest acceptable core temperature during a Prime95 run would be 70°C.
You will never get to see those temperature regions in FSX though.

DaveKDEN
December 17th, 2008, 14:56
Keep those 3Ghz then.

If you dare, you can also try 3.2Ghz.
Make sure to watch the temps. The highest acceptable core temperature during a Prime95 run would be 70°C.
You will never get to see those temperature regions in FSX though.

Think I'll just stick with 3.0 as I'm extremely happy with the performance so far. I'm still thinking of a new fan though - any reccomendations?

Bjoern
December 18th, 2008, 07:12
Think I'll just stick with 3.0 as I'm extremely happy with the performance so far. I'm still thinking of a new fan though - any reccomendations?

Very low budget: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.
Low budget: OCZ Vendetta 2 // Xigmatek S1283 (essentially two brands for the same cooler)
High budget: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + custom fan

My HSF is marked in bold and I can recommend it 100%. Feel free to google some reviews; you'll see that the S1283 keeps your CPU only a tiny bit less cool than the high budget combos, while costing only about $50.