PDA

View Full Version : FSX hardware question

Brian_Gladden
October 29th, 2011, 14:21
I know there is a hardware forum but it's pretty dead. Anyway, my 5 year old plus PC is going to be retired (Can barely run FSX and my FS9 setup is dragging it to a standstill)

Anyway, a local shop is advertising what looks to be a pretty nice machine for $799. the pic below has the specs. Think this will run FSX reasonably? I like to run lots of AI and good scenery.

modelr
October 29th, 2011, 15:42
Brian, I think it'll run it just fine. I have an AMD 810 running at 2.6, and a 4800 series vid card, and it only struggles, if that's what you call it, when in the heaviest mesh and photo scenery areas, with high detail aircraft from FS9 as straight port-overs, and a few other programs running in background. Win7 64bit. That is running a stock, not tweaked, setup. (I have the latest packages, just not installed, yet.) Your specs would be much better than mine.

CG_1976
October 29th, 2011, 16:01
With those stats I see no issues. I've Been running AMD system's on FSX since FSX released.

Brian_Gladden
October 30th, 2011, 04:52
Sweet!

Back in late August, I found out that the state was holding $5,400 in my deceased fathers name as a property tax rebate. Thanks to insane hours at work (Tropical storm Irene clean up) and going through the hassle of reopening my dad's estate, I should have some cash on hand soon. (sometime in the next two weeks) so a new system will be mine. I'm also budgeting for things like filling the oil tank for winter and paying ahead the rent as well as two new (used) cars for myself and Rose.

Rose found a cheap Jeep from a former coworker ($1,000) and I scored a sweet deal on a classic Ford Station Wagon for the same money (87' Ford LTD wagon with 82,000 miles and absolutely no rust).

This leaves me about a grand I can spend on computer stuff.... Since I had budgeted 2K for my car so getting one for half that means new PC!

p14u2nv
October 30th, 2011, 08:56
Black Friday is soon to be upon us as is pre Christmas sales...personally I'd wait until then Brian. Might get an even better deal than what you posted. Just my two cents...

Brian_Gladden
October 30th, 2011, 09:06
This is from a local computer shop ( http://www.computerbarnltd.net/news.php ) that is run by a friend of mine. The only stores that sell computers within 40 miles of me are Walmart or Staples. and this system blows anything they have away for about the same money. Also get a 3 year warranty from the 'Barn. Not going anywhere near any stores on Black Friday....

mjrhealth
October 30th, 2011, 17:45
If you are going to go AMD get the 1100t WILL DO 4.1 gig, it actually improved over my 955 at 3.8. Or if intel get the I5 2500K, will do better then 4.1 gig.