PDA

View Full Version : Fanatec CSR Wheel and CSR Elite Pedals

CybrSlydr
October 24th, 2011, 17:47
I got my wheel and pedals today - working on pictures for the review.

(The platform I'm using for this review is the Xbox 360)

As we all know, those of us on Microsft's platform have gotten the proverbial shaft when it comes to wheels and pedals that will work with the console.

Microsft discontinued their own wireless wheel system, neither of Logitech's G25/27 will work with the 360, the wireless U-thingy isn't quite what a serious racer enthusiast would go for... So, what are we to do?

Thankfully the Fanatec (pronounced fanatic) company has our backs. As with their previous wheels, this new CSR wheel/pedal combo works with the 360as well as the PS3 and PC. One difference is that the CSR is officially lisenced and branded with the Forza 4 logo.

The first thing you notice is the quality packaging. While the actual product boxes are thin plastic-coat cardboard, the shipping boxes are very thick and sturdy. The box housing my wheel actually had a large chunk of one of the corners dented in, but the product box below was perfect. They also seal the shipping boxes with Fanatec black tape as well - very well secured.

Once you start opening the product boxes, you find care and attention was taken with them as well. Both have plastic hanles for carrying the boxes around. The boxes also have four flaps that lock on the outermost to prevent the boxes from accidentally opening.

Inside, everything is amptly wrapped in either plastic cushioning or braced by cardboard cutouts. Cables, of wich there are many, are wrapped together with black twist ties inside a bag which is taped to the underside of one of the cardboard cutouts. Be mindful before throwing away!

They also come with quick launch instructions for the wheel, drilling guide for the pedals for mounting and bolts for mounting the pedals.

Setting up is quite easy - for the 360, connection to the console is wireless. For PC and PS3, a USB cable is supplied, though you can purchase a wireless dongle on their website.

Press the connect button on the 360, turn the wheel on, press the connect button on the wheel and they are paired in seconds. Very easy. The wheel even has an Xbox control wheel on the left face that you can press and lights up with corresponding lights as to the controllers hooked up.

The face of the wheel has a similar setup to a 360 controller. No D-pad, but it has a hybrid analog/d-pad stick on the left of the wheel for navigation. Start/Select and Back buttons are on opposite sides of an LCD display in the top center of the wheel face for adjusting various settings on the wheel. On the right are your standard XY,AB buttons.

Now, for an important aspect - do these wheels and pedals feel they are worth the rather steep price - $249.99 for the wheel and $149.99 for the pedals?

In short - every last cent!

The wheel, while plastic, is quite sturdy. It clamps to a desk quite well, though when tightening down, it squeaks a LOT. It has alcantara for grip and comfort at the 9/3 position. The wheel turns very smoothly - the only wheels I've used until now were Logitech wheels and pedals for the PC - Driving Force Pro, I believe, and these are in another class.

I had read in other reviews they were concerned that the pedals were part plastic, unlike their more expensive (but compatible) Club Sport Pedals, which are all metal. I don't see this being an issue for me - the pedal faces are aluminum, the foot rest area is aluminum, bracing is aluminum... All the important parts are metal. The acclerator pedal is very light to the touch with the clutch being much more firm. The brake is the most firm due to using a load cell vs a spring. A dial behind the brake allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the input to your own liking.

The one major advantage the CSR Elite pedals have over the Club Sport pedals is they can be rigged to hang like in a real car if you so choose. The Club Sport do not have this function.

I've taken my 2005 M3 around the Nordschleif a few times in Forza 4 and I must say, it will take some getting used-to!

Force feedback does a great job of letting you feel when you brake tol hard and slide out of a turn. Same with when gripping in a corner. The play in the wheel is superb - in my old Logitechs, you could hear and feel the gears on the force feedback motor, not on this.

All in all, this wheel/pedal combo is a GREAT addition to any 360 - or PS3/PC - user's stable.

Highly recommended if you want to spend the money!

PRO: Sturdy, very well constructed, great feel, looks great, quick response

CON: Full plastic wheelnmay feel cheap, very expensive

Overall - 9/10

Additional Comment:

After playing with it with f1 2011, i'm in love.

Works great, but I have to admit the clamp is NOT very secure with the kind of throwing around this game requires. I don't know if it's because of the lip inder the table top, but after a few laps it works it's way loose, most of the time in the middle of a hard turn. The pedals, though they have very good rubber stoppers on the bottom, still slide forward on the tile in my room. Wouldn't be an issue, but my desk has a wood beam across that BARELY won't let the gas pedal go under it from full off. Just barely clips it.

Doesn't change my opinion on it, amazing wheel, but an annoyance. Going to get a seat eventually - Playseats has an F1 style seat setup - looks amazing, but it's like £800+!!!

CybrSlydr
October 24th, 2011, 17:49
Here's a video overview I did.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpi8v0WnDsA

Milton Shupe
October 27th, 2011, 05:46
Excellent review CS. Looks very nice.

I am looking to get back into motosports as well. Out of it since '99 with Nascar 99.

I did enjoy car suspension setups for the various tracks.

Is the Nascar series available these days? On XBox? or what platform?

CybrSlydr
October 27th, 2011, 13:28
I think the last NASCAR game on consoles was 2005. I only just got this xbox, so I'm not up on Console games. I'm still a pc gamer.

It works just awesome in F1 2011. Same with Forza 4.

eddie
October 27th, 2011, 15:30
If you have an XBox, then here is the newest version of NASCAR.

http://nascarthegame.com/

Forget modding it though.

Milton Shupe
October 27th, 2011, 15:51
If you have an XBox, then here is the newest version of NASCAR.

http://nascarthegame.com/

Forget modding it though.

Thanks Eddie.

No, I meant that NASCAR game allows you to adjust suspension and weight balance for each track. Seems they still do:

TUNING
Players are given complete freedom to tune and adjust their car’s handling.

eddie
October 27th, 2011, 16:32
Milton, I was talking about modding in such a way as adding in tracks or season mods.

Milton Shupe
October 27th, 2011, 17:12
Milton, I was talking about modding in such a way as adding in tracks or season mods.

Ah, I understand.

Back on topic, CS, let us know how the wheel and pedals work out. I am interested in them as well.

CybrSlydr
October 27th, 2011, 18:57
They're great on Forza 4 and F1 2011.

So much easier to be competitive with the wheel and pedals vs controller.

As soon as I get my computer back, I'll let you guys know how it works on that platform with GTR.