PDA

View Full Version : A lesson in not panicking too early...

Rami
October 24th, 2011, 15:53
To all,

I thought this might help some folks. All of a sudden today, all seven of my installs on my XP machine AND all seven installs on my laptop suddenly stopped working, and all at the same time. I was truly perplexed. I tried deleting the filelist.dat files and .cdp files, no dice. Then, checked the 100-plane limits. Nothing there either.

At a loss, I started wondering if perhaps an anti-virus update (I use Bit Defender Internet Security 2012) had eaten something it shouldn't have. Checking my logs, I found that the update had identified my "weather.dll" module as a malicious process, and had deleted it automatically from all seven of my installs on both my machines. After having figured this out, I was able to make an exception in my anti-virus settings, replaced the files, and got everything working again.

The lesson...don't be anxious to "pull the plug" on your installs if something goes awry...an investigative streak and a little logic goes a long way! :ernae:

bearcat241
October 24th, 2011, 17:36
Good advice Rami...as a hard rule i NEVER allow my AV program to monitor or scan anything on my E:\Games or G:\Sims drives, which house all of my games and flight sims. The contents of these two drives are pemanently excluded from AV real-time protection or periodic system scanning. As i see it, these drives only contain data that has been installed from clean CD's and scanned downloads, so there's nothing on them that would pose a threat. This also allows my sims and games to load and run faster, since their files don't have to pass AV approval to load into physical memory.

Hern07
October 24th, 2011, 19:23
Oh come on, Rami. It's never too early to panich (lol)

JEDDRAGON
October 24th, 2011, 22:26
That's what my computer repair teacher tells me on fixing computers even at this point. I should of taken that more seriously since I'm one those guys
who takes drastic measures to fix things and finds out the hard way that it's easier then that +______+