PDA

View Full Version : Full Realism Settings in FSX

P38man
October 23rd, 2011, 23:55
According to the most recent aircraft review by Avsim (a Milviz Talon jet) it seems it is now known that FSX maximum realism settings are not correct and the reviewer now chooses a lower setting.

Does anyone know what the issues are ?

warchild
October 24th, 2011, 00:10
well, one particularly annoying aspect of so called full realism is that if you get within 80 feet of a tree or object, you crash.. Apparently trees and buildings in FSX have this incredible ability to reach out and touch someone whose not even close..
Even with reality settings turned all the way down, this annoyance persists. I finally turned them off entirely..

expat
October 24th, 2011, 00:15
Fly a bit IRL. Fly FSX with all realism sliders full right. All crash detection on, even for carrier ops. Not sure why anything less is as realistic. Will turn off crash detection for testing and overnight intercontinental flights (winds disengage my ALT hold often). Agree with Pam re building/object crash. Nothing worse then going through a 10 minute start up sequence or finishing a 10 hour flight and then having the wing snag a tree or light post you though you were clear of!

P38man
October 24th, 2011, 00:21
Is that all though ?

I had already turned off crash detection because of that.

Not more to it ?

fliger747
October 24th, 2011, 02:25
The developers that I know set the planes up to use full realism. I set the planes I work up for full realism. This discussion went on a number of years ago with the 1% guys. As far as I can tell, reduction of realism starts disabling some of the sim equations.... ie. dumbing them down, giving a less realistic simulation if the flight dynamics are good.

I haven't had object crashes to any significant amount, though flying helicopters one finds varying degrees of the limits of the buildings etc coinciding with the visual elements. The landability of the hard decks varies as well. Some bridges can be flown under, some not. Being involved with Milviz amongst others, I expect that the folks doing the programming have the best idea of the realism settings to use. It is necessary to use good controls!

Good Luck! T

falcon409
October 24th, 2011, 03:48
According to the most recent aircraft review by Avsim (a Milviz Talon jet) it seems it is now known that FSX maximum realism settings are not correct and the reviewer now chooses a lower setting. Does anyone know what the issues are ?
I don't really see this as an issue to be concerned with really. Some folks fly with full realism, some in the middle and some with very small realism settings. Go a bit further and many fly with crash detection off, unlimited fuel on and autorudder active. Others fly with all that turned off and everyone has a good reason why they choose certain settings above others. There's no chiseled in stone requirement that you fly a certain way, it just depends on your individual abilities and level of required realism based on those abilities. That's why Flight Sim is such a good teaching tool besides, as some refer to it, being a "fun game". If you are of limited abilities to begin with you can, as Fliger notes, "dumb down" the sim by setting lower priorities to the realism sliders and other corresponding settings. As you grow in ability, raise the realism settings.

Basically don't be influenced by what someone else says your settings must be. That's up to you decide. The idea is to enjoy the fun of flight and get in the air and start exploring. If you're constantly pre-occupied with settings to the point that it's no longer enjoyable. . . . .well. . . .it's just counter productive. Find the settings that are right "for you", close the realism drop down and go fly. It's really as simple as that.:salute:

bstolle
October 24th, 2011, 12:03
If not specifically documented in the associated readme etc. realism settings MUST always be set to the maximum to make the plane fly as is was designed to fly!
I'm surprised to read the the Avsim tester made the tests with less than full realism settings as this definitely degrades the FDE and changes the planes handling characteristics.
Less than maximum realism was used in early FSX FDE design when the neccessary cfg file settings were not yet well known, e.g. how to reduce the too high torque moment but that's long ago.
It doesn't make any sense with todays knowledge to reduce the realism settings just to counteract a single shortcoming.
Furthermore I doubt that any FDE designer knows exactly which values and by how much they are changed with reduced realism settings.
Just to make sure, I'm talking only about the 'flight model' realism sliders. E.g. the FDE doesn't care if the crash detection is on or off.

Dangerousdave26
October 24th, 2011, 15:23
Once again we come to the age old debate about is full realism really realistic.

The ultimate answer is no it is not...

You will never die if you crash an FSX plane.

Other than that if the developer created the flight dynamics at full realism you should fly it at full realism.

If you choose to fly a model at lesser realism than the developer created the flight dynamics don't bother complaining about errors in the way it flys. Duming down the sim adversely affects how the model flies when the dynamics are created at high realism.

Alternately if the developer created the flight dynamics at low or middle settings flying the model at full realism will create adverse affects.

This is easily noticed by flying some default aircraft at full realism.

As far as crashes are concerned I have never had any real issue with them. I have earned every crash I have survived...

Which is all of them. :icon_lol:

robert41
October 24th, 2011, 15:26
I fly with the realism settings on high, except for the p-factor. Reason being, with p-factor on high, the A2A B17, flying level, with autopilot, will remain in a bank. Usually crash detection on, auto mixture off. Depends on the aircraft and the flight.

warchild
October 24th, 2011, 16:37
my crash detection is off, everything else is maxed, which leads to some interesting take offs and twins acting like seriously mischievous single engine aircraft.. But I also have all my sensitivities at maximum with no null zones..

P38man
October 24th, 2011, 17:51
Thanks everyone for all your help. Have a nice day to all of you.

Just thought there may have been new "news".

Doesn't look like there is.