PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP Sepang cancelled on 2nd lap.

demorier
October 23rd, 2011, 01:16
Still waiting to hear the latest on Marco Simoncelli after a horrendous crash on the 2nd lap of the race. eeerrrr...it doesn't sound good so far.

Edit: yeah...he's gone...chow matey, see you in the next life.

Ferry_vO
October 23rd, 2011, 01:34
Sadly he died of his injuries..

Unavoidable accident btw..

wombat666
October 23rd, 2011, 04:48
Very sad to lose Marco, he was at the turning point of his career.
I expected the worst immediately, one gets a feeling about the outcome of such a violent impact.
Hard to think that I spoke with him only a week ago.
MotoGP has lost one of it's brightest talents and a young man with a sparkling sense of humour.
Sono molto contento a Marco.

Panther_99FS
October 23rd, 2011, 11:02
I don't think I've ever seen a helmet explode like that......
Sad loss for the community...

catfishdriver
October 24th, 2011, 06:58
I'm still totally in shock about this. Marco was quite the character and a great ambassador for the sport. What's worse is Rossi is one of his closest friends. You have to feel for what he must be going through as well. Just not a good month for racing.

Ferry_vO
October 25th, 2011, 07:28
Even more shocking was a video posted by a fan on the stands, that shows the aftermath of the crash; no doctors on the scene but just marshalls that pick Marco up, put him onto a stretcher and carry him across a grass field (Where they even manage to drop him when one of the marshalls trips!! :banghead:), over the barriers to an ambulance. Why is there no medical car with a doctor in MotoGP?
When you have someone with likely serious head, neck and/or spinal trauma you don't just pick him up! The race was red-flagged so the track was clear..

I don't think he would have survived anyway but this obviously doesn't help!

catfishdriver
October 25th, 2011, 12:54
Even more shocking was a video posted by a fan on the stands, that shows the aftermath of the crash; no doctors on the scene but just marshalls that pick Marco up, put him onto a stretcher and carry him across a grass field (Where they even manage to drop him when one of the marshalls trips!! :banghead:), over the barriers to an ambulance. Why is there no medical car with a doctor in MotoGP?
When you have someone with likely serious head, neck and/or spinal trauma you don't just pick him up! The race was red-flagged so the track was clear..

I don't think he would have survived anyway but this obviously doesn't help!

Yes, that was reprehensible. First thing you learn in the most basic of basic life saving is stabilize and immobilize for any possible neck or back injury. From what I understand though is that he was already gone when they got to him. From what I've seen on the replays, that's pretty easy to believe. Either way, there's a right way to do things and a wrong way. They performed the latter. Still just so darn sad, the whole thing.

wombat666
October 25th, 2011, 18:30
Marco Simoncelli's father Paolo has spoken out over criticism of the Malaysian marshals who dropped the stretcher carrying his son after his fatal crash in Sepang. Mr Simoncelli arrived at the scene of the crash as Marco was being lifted onto a stretcher and carried to the ambulance and says the stretcher bearers, who fumbled the stretcher on their way to the ambulance, were not to blame for the outcome of the crash.
"I was thereabouts, but Marco was dead already. I was 10 metres away, but Marco was already dead, it changed nothing," Paulo told Italian media.

I helped them.
When they got back up and passed the stretcher over to my side of the guard rail I took the stretcher to place it in the ambulance and held Marco's hand and called him 'Ciao Marco', but he was gone already.
There was nothing that could be done. Nothing would have changed in that case. As for the rest, maybe more (attention) is needed, but these people try to do their best, so it's useless ... but in our case Marco died on impact.
They say God summons the best to heaven. I don't know. I wish that's how it is."

The grief-stricken father took the opportunity to praise his son, who was a beloved figure in his home nation Italy and throughout the world.
"Marco was a very special person, and perhaps people have understood what he was like.
If he had to swear he would, he was like that. Most of all he was honest, he was really pure," Paolo said.
"On top of that he was a warrior, and maybe that's why he died. Had he let the bike go ... but last Sunday he wanted to win.
He was again the Marco we had at the beginning of the season, but now he knew what to do, he knew everything."
Greeted by hundreds of fans when he landed in Rome with his son's body, Paolo said: "Honestly I couldn't believe it. It would be bull**** if I said I'm happy, but it pleases me.
We didn't realise all this, but it's a very nice thing.
Tomorrow evening, after the end of the funeral, we'll be alone. It'll be terrible. But now I have you and all the people that come visit us.
That can only please us.
Marco was always available with all the journalists, as with all the people that would come to disturb him while he was eating. In fact he would scold me when I complained. That's how he was.
Marco was never judged badly, he was always judged for what he was and for the way he presented himself. I loved him, and he loved me. Marco was great and that's it.
What a shame.
He needed everything around him to work. He needed Aligi Deganello - his guru and chief technician - his team, and his dad, who would piss him off sometimes, as he would say. Before the start we would shake hands and hug. I did that on Sunday too, but I guess I got something wrong. It didn't go as usual.
He enjoyed all the simple things he had: he liked his house, his dog, the grass... in fact on Sunday he told me 'I'm tired, I want to go back home', because we had been away to prepare for Malaysia, which for him has always been difficult: nutrition, he took an ice bath to cool down before the race... It was perfect, he was sure he would do well.
But he told me 'I want to go back home, dad.'"

Marco Simoncelli will be remembered in a private funeral in his home town of Coriano, Italy on Thursday.

<iframe class=" axusfkosqhqamouafauk xmrybulnttsofnhybyfs" style="border: medium none currentcolor; overflow: hidden; width: 260px;" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3a%2f%2fwwos.ninemsn.com.au%2fa rticle.aspx%3fid%3d8365726%26mch%3dsnlink%26cmp%3d art_8365726&layout=Standard&show_faces=True&width=260&action=like&colorscheme=light&height=80" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
:kilroy: