PDA

View Full Version : about the C310 that ditched in HI

Daveroo
October 22nd, 2011, 10:12
my dad and i have been talking,,,nee hes been yelling at me again......sigh......

the deal is....he claims that the cessna 310 that ditched in Hawai a few weeks ago now,came from the US mainland,and just ran out of fuel....the HI islands are like 2000 miles from california and the C310 has about a 1000 mile max range...so theres no way...

BUUT this made me wonder...HOW DO the small GA planes get to the islands?...are they flown ( USA built ac,like piper/cessna ect)down into south america,over to australia and then up through the south pacific to hawaii?..i read of a joourney simular in flying mag that was done with a C172,but it took alot of money and effort for them to do it...or are the planes dismantled and shipped on cargo ships? larger planes?...anyone know how?

Meshman
October 22nd, 2011, 10:34
Strip them down and place auxiliary fuel tanks inside. Then pray that the headwinds won't be too bad.

I grabbed some source material for O'ahu and in the metdata it listed the plane and equipment used to do the aerial photography. I looked the plane up and saw a picture of it. Ain't no way in the world I'd be in a smallish GA plane trying to fly from San Francisco to Hawai'i. First attempt the pilot turned around before midway point due to fuel burn from the headwinds. Second trip he made it to Hawai'i. But that would have been a long, slow trip! Braver person that I is! :mixedsmi:

pfflyers
October 22nd, 2011, 17:41
Back when I worked in GA the norm for small singles was to crate them and transport on cargo ships.

I suppose larger singles could be equipped with ferry tanks, but I think that would be a risky flight to ask a ferry pilot to do.

If you were a rich daredevil you could risk your own neck to do it.

Emil Frand
October 22nd, 2011, 18:38
Keep it simple..........box it in a container and put it on the boat

lazarus
October 22nd, 2011, 20:33
Ship 'em or fly 'em. As noted above,haul out the seats and put in a big honking plastic ferry tank. With Agricultural aircraft you just fill up the hopper with go-juice (omiting a couple of steps, but thats about it). Drove a couple of AirCows to Australia that way. SFO-Hilo-Tahiti-Aus. But its a long, long trip out over the briney with nought but one fan on the front! At least navigation is a snap now a days. The first time i did one of those gigs-1988 or so- had just got hold of a new Bendix LORAN C, a big improvement over 'By Guess And By God' but nothing like so simple as following a GPS bug. Since the thaw of the coldwar we can go via Aleutians-kamchatka-Japan,with appropriate squeeze tothe local Russian gansters...er, civil authorities, I mean. Even so, fuel margins can disapear in a hurry when your down flogging along where all the weather is.

stansdds
October 23rd, 2011, 02:47
As I understand it, it is less expensive to fit and fill ferry tanks than it is to disassemble, ship, and reassemble a small aircraft. I can't say I'd be too thrilled about making such a flight. It's a long distance over open water and all alone.

mrogers
October 23rd, 2011, 03:07
Small planes, single or twin, have ferry tanks put in them for long overwater flights, been done for years by ferry pilots delivering them across the Pacific from one country to another. ( and they take off overloaded with the extra fuel as well)

TeaSea
October 23rd, 2011, 05:20
Google Bob Cox. He's a writer for Flying and Plane and Pilot magazines. He's been ferrying GA aircraft both ways to the U.S. to Asia and Europe his whole life.

GA aircraft outfitted with extended tanks under the right conditions make these trips routinely.

Daveroo
October 23rd, 2011, 09:56
then that brings up the thought.......if im going to be flying the 2300 miles from sacramento to oahu,,,,,,,food..no problem..urinate...container......number two????? utoh

Willy
October 23rd, 2011, 10:07
When I read about the 310 ditching, it said that it was on a ferry flight from states. He almost made it.

Some guys make a living ferrying small aircraft around.

crashaz
October 24th, 2011, 06:58
That is just crazy! Just read it this morning.

http://www.tourismandaviation.com/news-13054--Pilot_rescued_after_ditching_plane_off_Big_Island

Ok... who is going to try it in the sim. :icon_lol: