PDA

View Full Version : FPS limiter help

Dangerous Beans
October 22nd, 2011, 09:19
Hi guys and girls.
I haven't done much flying for quite a while, busy with other stuff like racing, driving trains, wandering the Mojave wasteland etc.

I recently got the itch to get back in the pilot seat but my FSX install was a mess so started out unistalling everything and starting over.
Everything went well. and FSX runs pretty good but I wanted to use the FPS limiter as it makes it just that bit smoother.

Only thing is it doesn't seem to be limiting the FPS at all, the bat file runs OK and starts FSX as it should but even though I have the limiter set to 30 and FSX set to unlimited I'm still seeing framerates of 40+ with either the inbuilt display or fraps.
Even tried enabling the OSD in FPS limiter but that doesn't show up so something definitely not right.

It used to work just fine in my old FSX install and I don't thing I did anything different in setting it up this time round so I don't know what is going on with it.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions.

TIA Mark.

Oelwanne
October 23rd, 2011, 01:52
From Bojotes Tweaking Site: " You'll notice that FPS fluctuates a bit when using the FPS limiter, don't worry this is completely normal, most of the time it will maintain FPS constant which is what you need."
I use the Framelimiter too (locked at 20 FPS) and my FPS are always a bit off (5-10 FPS). So i would say that is normal.

Stickshaker
October 23rd, 2011, 02:49
I always understood that setting the framerate at unlimited generally gives the best results. True or not, it seems to work for me.

falcon409
October 23rd, 2011, 06:36
First of all, if I was able to get 30-40fps I wouldn't bother with an extra utility. Use the in-sim slider to lock it where you want and go on. Relying on an extra utility to lock something that the sim already handles (especially if the "Limiter" still allows fluctuations) seems a bit unnecessary. If the sim fps fluctuates even when it's "locked" and the "Limiter" allows some fluctuation and you're up in the 30 to 40fps range. . . . . .seems like a no-brainer to me. Dump the extra utility and just enjoy flying. I'll never see that range of fps (mine sits between 15 and 20 no matter where I lock it) and I have a relatively smooth experience. Just my 2cents.:salute:

Dangerous Beans
October 23rd, 2011, 07:12
After more testing it is doing something, I just assumed it wasn't as I installed and ran it from the get go, its just not working as well as I remember it was, maybe 3 or 4 FPS over but not that much.

The 40+ FPS is out in the middle of nowhere, TE68 'nuggs' Flying M, which is what you get if you go to choose location and press clear filter, (no offence meant if anyone heres from that part of the world :) being a Londoner anywhere else is the middle of nowhere to me).
At the same location without the FPS limiter, V=Sync off and FSX set to unlimited I'm getting 120+, I don't remember getting that before.
The only system changes since I flew before is 8Gb of hi performance memory as opposed to the 4Gb of basic stuff I had before.

I normally get low to mid 20's anywhere more built up.
Using FSX's limiter gives me lower FPS but using unlimited and the external FPS limiter gets rid of any stutters that I get if I just use unlimited

I can live with the slight anomaly as everything seems to be running good now, FSX is loading faster than it did before the reinstall and everything's smooth so it all gravy at the moment.

Thank
Mark