PDA

View Full Version : 757 Jetliner - Freemium

Martyn
October 21st, 2011, 04:02
A little teaser, if I may...

http://justflight.info/sites/microsites/Screenshots/757_freemium3.jpg (http://www.justflight.com/757freemiumnews.asp)

Want to know more?

Sign up here (http://www.justflight.com/757freemiumnews.asp) and we'll bring you all the news about this exciting new concept on the 28th October.

Tim-HH
October 21st, 2011, 08:23
Although I don't think that I belong to the target audience of the F-lite series, I've to say that this sounds very interesting. I guess the basic model and a livery will free of charge and then one has to pay a few bucks for additional models and liveries.

Interesting concept, that's for sure. Hope it will work out for you! :)

Greetings
Tim

Bjoern
October 21st, 2011, 12:59
Okay, I took the bait.

Martyn
October 28th, 2011, 07:05
For those of you who haven't received the details yet:

Just Flight is taking a bold step into the Freemium arena. Freemium is a revolutionary way of doing business that has taken the world of computer games by storm. We’re supplying 757 Jetliner - a fully fledged 757 simulation that would usually sell for £19.99 - completely free. There are no catches.

Then, when you want to expand your 757 fleet, you can pick and choose from a range of 30 additional models and liveries that are available to download in pairs for less than £1 each!

No cost. No compromise.

One of the world's most popular narrow-bodied airliners will soon be lining up in our F-Lite hangar. 757 Jetliner has been created by Just Flight’s own in-house development team and features an accurate and detailed model of the non-winglet version of the 757-200 with Rolls-Royce engines in a British Airways livery.

guzler
October 28th, 2011, 09:32
I like the idea of this. I get frustrated at buying something that has 30 repaints when I only want two of them, but payed for 30 !

Not sure how good it is for the developer, but sure looks good for customers. Well done JF for experimenting with the market

papab
October 28th, 2011, 11:42
Thanks-- great concept!!
Signed up and waiting!

Rick

paiken
October 28th, 2011, 12:11
I signed up for it. With a functional FMC it should make for some interesting flying (for me, at least). I usually don't fly the tubes, but I'm thinking of adding it to my Air Hauler fleet.

gtirob01
October 28th, 2011, 12:14
I got the email from JF this morning.... definitely something I am interested in. And like like the concept they have put together... just buy the liveries and models you want, not more that you will never fly with. And the prices sound very, very fair. Im in!

fallenphoenix1986
October 28th, 2011, 15:11
I've only ever seen this aproach with Rise of Flight (WW1 sim), worked for me though basic game is free and you add the birds you want. Didnt think I'd ever see it in FSX though, should be interesting to see how it pans out :)

Craig

Martyn
November 4th, 2011, 07:22
More details on our 'Freemium' offering can now be found here: http://blogs.justflight.info/2011-11-03/757-jetliner-freemium/

Meshman
November 7th, 2011, 11:56
I've been waiting for this. The download link appeared and I grabbed my copy. While some other files are downloading, I decided to install the free plane. It asks for my "account information" to proceed. I go to set up an account and it requires me to furnish credit card information as part of the process. Yes, I understand it's a free product and because of that I do not feel I should have to surrender any credit card information. Is there a work-around? Or should I go ahead and delete the downloaded installer?

DaveWG
November 7th, 2011, 12:13
I downloaded, setup an account & installed without having to supply and credit card details.

Did you use the account setup within the installer?

gtirob01
November 7th, 2011, 12:19
Already have an account and I am trying to download the aircraft. Either my internet connection is slow, or there are A LOT of people downloading it!

Nevermind... just saw the additional download server links.

Pepere
November 7th, 2011, 15:46
http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=880 (http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=880)

Interesting concept.

David

Pepere
November 7th, 2011, 15:48
:kilroy: Slow down loading!

Pepere
November 7th, 2011, 15:52
OOOOOOooooops already a thread on this! :icon_lol:

David

Meshman
November 7th, 2011, 16:49
Did you use the account setup within the installer?

Kind of... :mixedsmi: Got it working, now the fun stuff begins. If I can figure out how to get "somewhere" and then land "there" I'll be back looking for some liveries to add and say Thanks! to Just Flight.

glh
November 7th, 2011, 18:43
Just Flight has released a FREE FSX download of the 757 jetliner. No credit card info is required.

http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=880

ryanbatc
November 7th, 2011, 19:53
There's already two threads on this :icon_lol:

StormILM
November 7th, 2011, 19:57
Got the model and a bought a couple of the liveries. First off, thanks to JF for making such a great model and offering it in such a unique marketing concept. For me, I am sold and will buy more liveries soon. For others contemplating downloading it and buying liveries, it's a great model and the frame rates and VC are very nice. As far as systems are concerned, it is lite but if you're used to Thomas Ruth's models I would say it's near or better par with that kind of cockpit tempo/flow. The FMC is simple enough for beginners but sophisticated enough for advanced users to enjoy good long haul flights. Flight modeling feels good and the Autopilot and Fadec works pretty smoothly. The only minor bug I ran into was with the electrical system. It seems totally dependent on the battery switch "On" and bringing the generators online seems to have no effect on the Electrics. When you cut the battery with the generators showing online, the power on all the cockpit systems go dark. I know it's a minor issue which most likely can be easily fixed. But overall, this is an excellent 757 model which I highly recommend. BTW, the soundset is very nice!

I want to add that JF included the PW, RR and Cargo models with the corresponding liveries! I think you guys(JF) did good on this and I hope it sells like hot cakes. It's a keeper in my FSX hangar.
:salute::applause::guinness:

Update: After writing above about the electrical issue, I checked to Cfg/[Electrical] section and found that all the entries that are supposed to be under max_generator_amps= were missing on the RNZAF model and C-32 model. The entry was fully intact in the base freemium BA model. I'm not 100% sure if that had anything to do with the issue I encountered but I was flying the C-32 when I found the electrical problem. I updated the Cfg/Electrical entry and will test it at length and advise if that cures the issue I ran into.

Second Update: The changes made no difference in the issue. The electrics are still dependent on the battery switch. It's minor but I'm sure JF will look into it and patch the issue.

Roger
November 7th, 2011, 22:57
There's already two threads on this :icon_lol:

I'll merge them.

calypsos
November 8th, 2011, 01:06
What a great idea, giving stuff at 'pocket money' prices and hoping to 'stack em high and sell em cheap', a refreshing change from sucking in and stumping up a great lump of cash each time something new comes out.

At those prices, I doubt if even the 'pirates' will be bothered to go to the trouble of 'sharing' much either. Could this be the way ahead???

papab
November 8th, 2011, 02:27
It really eats up the FPS.... KTPA on the runway at dawn, 10 FPS....
Any one else have this problem?

Will try different airports tomorrow

I really like the freeware concept-
Thank you Justflight!

Rick

DennyA
November 8th, 2011, 05:48
I already have the CaptainSim 757, but I'm gonna have to buy into this one just to support the concept! Hope it's massively successful for Just Flight!

thunder100
November 8th, 2011, 06:29
I already have the CaptainSim 757, but I'm gonna have to buy into this one just to support the concept! Hope it's massively successful for Just Flight!

Once you have an you write a comparison?

Thanks

Roland

RKinkor
November 8th, 2011, 06:57
Once you have an you write a comparison?

Thanks

RolandI had the Captsim 757 when it first came out and could not use it as it was a huge frame rate pig then. I have done one flight in the Freemium and have found it tobe pretty good on frames though I have to do some learning on the FMC it so far is pretty good and easy on the frames the take-off was heathrow. The only problem I have is no Northwest Airlines paint for the -200, just a Delta paint of a Northwest aircraft lol(I hope there will be a paint kit but not too hopefull with this sales concept). Now I am going to head back over and purchase a paint pack or two.

Martyn
November 8th, 2011, 07:05
Hi RKinkor,

We hope to release a paint-kit at some point!

Thanks

OleBoy
November 8th, 2011, 11:42
PROS:
I like the concept.

CONS:
I don't like, anything commercial, or jets in general.

QUESTION:
Will this new concept include previously released, or just all new commercial (and/or GA) models from this day forward?

CodyValkyrie
November 8th, 2011, 12:12
I must give Just Flight some credit where it is due. They are certainly trying to market in new and interesting ways. That alone I tip my hat to. I support any developers attempts at "breaking the mold," so to speak.

Sedr37
November 8th, 2011, 12:21
I had the Captsim 757 when it first came out and could not use it as it was a huge frame rate pig then.
You should try the latest 4.6 version + FSX SP2 or Acceleration - runs smooth!

michael davies
November 8th, 2011, 13:52
I like it, I also like the concept, about time someone realized the consumer doesn't have a bottom less pocket of cash.

Frames are very good here on this 'older' PC :).

Lucky for me the base paint is BA, thats what I normally fly most of the time, but I will support the venture with a few more Euro paints. not got into the nitty gritty but feels ok after a quick 10 min out and back jaunt, nice model, nice VC, eye point to far fwd for me, you end up at 0.3 zoom to get anything in which distorts a lot of periphial modeling, at 0.5 your face is mashed against the windscreen, thats an easy (and personal) fix. Sounds are good, but QW are better IMHO, don't have CS 757, like others just a frame pig, but no issues with this or QW 757.

No problems with installation, had to register though but it all went seemlessly, only nag is the JF nag box when you load the plane asking if you want to visit them to get some more and the text that some times scrolls across the top of the screen (red text, green band, forgotten what its correctly called!) promoting more liveries, but other than that, nice job all round.

Regards Michael

RAS_JF
November 9th, 2011, 00:07
Hi Michael,

Glad you are enjoying it.

only nag is the JF nag box when you load the plane asking if you want to visit them to get some more and the text that some times scrolls across the top of the screen (red text, green band, forgotten what its correctly called!)

You should only see this once every ten times you load it (strictly speaking, a 1 in 10 probability of seeing it each time you open the 757). We tried to find the right balance between reminding people that their is extra content available to subsidise the free download, and not covering the thing in loads of adverts which would be a turn off for everyone. Hopefully we've got it about right.

Rich

michael davies
November 9th, 2011, 04:27
Hi Michael,

Glad you are enjoying it.

You should only see this once every ten times you load it (strictly speaking, a 1 in 10 probability of seeing it each time you open the 757). We tried to find the right balance between reminding people that their is extra content available to subsidise the free download, and not covering the thing in loads of adverts which would be a turn off for everyone. Hopefully we've got it about right.

Rich

Rich, well I've only loaded it once, so thats a 100% success rate LOL, I'm sure you can turn that information bar off, of course you loose other FS related text, I'm sure I used to have it off but now it isnt, its not a deal breaker, once free from nights I'll go play some more, I think I'll be spending some time in the JF 757 anyway :).

Kindest Michael

wilycoyote4
November 9th, 2011, 15:01
seems complex enuff for me, altitude callouts nice, lotsta learn in the manual
1552 flight plans
Smooth manual landings

fliger747
November 11th, 2011, 09:58
Had a thrash at this. Right up front, I have flown about every 737 and 747 (-8 coming soon) model, I have NOT flown the 767-757 series. However we have aquired some of these aircraft and I do have the manuals. Most Boeings have a similar philosophy and switchology, at least since the end of the analogue era (read anything that says 27-37 or 47-200 on it....). The biggest think missing is the FLight Level Change (called Level Change on the 737) button, the best button in the whole airplane. Back when FSX was in beta I bitched at MS about this lack of capability in the generic FSX autopilot. In effect the FLCH button brings the thrust to rated climb thrust for a climb, or idle for a descent, with pitch controlled to maintain the selected speed. Much more effaceous than trying to guess what VS to chase around to achievesomething close to the same thing.

FMC, useable but not too much like the Smith's or Honeywell used in the planes I have flown. Autopilot, has some limitations, tried an autoland which should be possible with all three engaged and the plane did not flare, bounced and exceuted a missed approach???? Are you going around???, well guess so????

All of the popup panels are nice, as are the popup ADI etc. On takeoff the plane was a bit slow to rotate, Boeing beats the rotation rate into us.... as all of the performance calculations are based on the proper rotation rate to initial climb atitude. Autothrottle seemed to do a good job of holding the selected speed.

Nice enough plane and do reccomend that you try this one out, realizing it might be a bit different in capability than the real one. However, unlike the real one, or the PMDG 747, it won't take you six weeks to learn to fly it. The sim experience is always a number of compromises.

We do have at least one 767 Capt here at SOH that I know of.

Best wishes: Tom

michael davies
November 11th, 2011, 11:53
Funny you mention the rotation LOL, that was the first thing that grabbed my attention, I put it down to incorrect fuel, flaps or what ever I'd just plain forgotten, but even with full back stick I still had to hurriedly dial in a lot of trim to rotate as the boundry fence hurtled toward the nose! :).

Interesting to set a trim climb on the JF757 let it settle then swap for the QW757, same settings but totally different attitude, horse's for course's, of course where JF wins hands down is the price and is without doubt excellent value for money.

Regards Michael

fliger747
November 11th, 2011, 14:40
Quite so! Ideally one could find the correct trim setting from the %MAC COG (AFSD) and if this is done right, find the correct stab trim setting for TKO. However as it was about in trim for the initial climb segment I suspect it a matter of a pitch MOI or elevator authority. Having a moderate elevator authority does make the plane easier to hand fly!

Price is right and I wish them luck with their expriment!

Cheers: Tom

StormILM
November 11th, 2011, 18:54
I noticed the Pitch as well as Roll Stability settings in the Config/Flight Tuning section were both cranked up a bit which obviously hits the pitch & roll moments/control feel. Even when setting TO Trim well into the green there seemed to be a lack of elevator authority at Vr/V2. I adjusted the elevator and aileron effectiveness to 2.000 and 1.500 respectively and that clearly made a difference in handling.

Martyn
November 15th, 2011, 05:26
Someone has posted up a nice HD video of the 757:

sPSx43aS5PY?hd=1