PDA

View Full Version : FS2004 Aircraft Port Over Help...

Walter
October 20th, 2011, 17:09
Okay, so I'm sure that this is asked often, but I couldn't find any threads on this using the search bar, so I'm gonna ask here. Why is it that some planes from FS2004 will port over with few issues, and others won't even display the plane in the details section of the aircraft selection menu? Also, Is there a way for me to get the plane to show up?

Many thanks for your help,

Walter :jump:

Dangerousdave26
October 20th, 2011, 17:38
Be more specific on what aircraft you would like to port.

Why some port better than others I don't have that answer

falcon409
October 21st, 2011, 03:47
Okay, so I'm sure that this is asked often, but I couldn't find any threads on this using the search bar, so I'm gonna ask here. Why is it that some planes from FS2004 will port over with few issues, and others won't even display the plane in the details section of the aircraft selection menu? Also, Is there a way for me to get the plane to show up?

Many thanks for your help,
Walter
As Dave mentioned, there's no rhyme or reason sometimes to why some aircraft port easily and others don't. I believe any aircraft built using GMax will port with little problems, or at least that's been my experience. But I also have aircraft built using FSDS 3.5 and they've ported just as easily, so go figure. All you can do is give it a shot and see what happens really. As for aircraft not showing up in the selection menu, there could be several reasons. If, when you select the aircraft in the menu you get an error message to the effect that it cannot load the model file, you're pretty much out of luck, dump the airplane and move on. If the aircraft doesn't even show up in the selection menu then check the panel.cfg folder to be sure it's not empty (I've actually had that happen a few times), also look at the aircraft.cfg file and in the individual aircraft info blocks be sure the "panel=" line is correct. That line must be empty (just read panel=) if the panel folder just says "panel", but if the main panel folder say "panel.1" or something other than what is in the aircraft.cfg file, the airplane will not display in the selection menu. They must both be identical, so check that as well.

Sieggie
October 21st, 2011, 05:11
I think it sometimes has to to with the fact that the 2004 plane you are trying to port to FSX might be a port over from 2002 which causes all manor of gauge problems.

Dave

falcon409
October 21st, 2011, 09:43
I think it sometimes has to to with the fact that the 2004 plane you are trying to port to FSX might be a port over from 2002 which causes all manor of gauge problems.

Dave
That's true Sieggie, some of them are "ports of a port of a port", so to speak, lol. The gauges from 2002 aircraft are probably not going to display (any ver'98 gauges won't work in FSX), and of course that is a major problem if you aren't adept at replacing gauges on the fly or you don't have FSPanel Studio.:salute:

Walter
October 21st, 2011, 14:38
First, thank you for you help.

The aircraft I'm working with is a P-63A King Cobra, which is found here:
http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=p-63a+king+cobra&x=0&y=0

Everything you said seems to check out. It just won't show up.

Thank you,

Walter

warchild
October 21st, 2011, 14:47
after looking at it real quick, my guess is that its an FSDS ( did i get that right ? ) plane ported to fs9. I've experienced several of those models that simply dont show up in fsx. I have no idea why..
Pam

AndyG43
October 21st, 2011, 15:05
after looking at it real quick, my guess is that its an FSDS ( did i get that right ? ) plane ported to fs9. I've experienced several of those models that simply dont show up in fsx. I have no idea why..
Pam

Ah, it's an Itosan, so you would be right about it being made with FS Design Studio Pam; however he was building directly for FS9 by that point, so it's not strictly speaking a portover. However Kazunori always used the same default gauges in all his panels, which do go back to FS2002 (and probably beyond). Having said all of that, I know some of his models have ported over to FSX perfectly well (apparently), as I've seen posts here about his FJ-1 Fury.

And, of course, the other thing with Itosan models are their flying characteristics; he was a damn good visual modeller (and sadly missed) but freely admitted that he knew nothing about FDEs - his interest was in making the best looking model he could, and he made some beauties of very unusual subjects. We've actually got a bit of a cottage industry back over in the mediaeval part of SOH where us FS9ers hang out, revamping & tweaking to get his models flying more realistically; I've actually got the P-63 jacked up in my hangar at the moment, trying to sort it out - but not having Pam's skill, experience & talent it is a lomg-winded job.