PDA

View Full Version : CF-5A's, an inoffensive ride

lazarus
October 17th, 2011, 11:13
Short on range, warload, avionics and operational equipment. The guns jammed under G, you took along a Canon 135 to snap shots of the Bear, which you only saw when everything worked right , especially the stop watch/map/guestimometer/dummy in the pointy end nav system5022950230, and Ivan didn't cheat by doing something un-gentlemanly like changing course a few degrees. Still, it was about the most fun you could have in a gee suit and 75lbs of gear while sweating off 15 lbs worring about having enough gas to avoid having to get out and walk back to the mess.
Almost ready to upload.

delta_lima
October 19th, 2011, 08:20
Nice work Laz!

I've always liked the CF-5. Not aware it was ever used in any TU-95 interceptions, though. Could be wrong. The Voodoos and 18's respectively took care of that.

These look great!

dl

Shane Strong CYHZ
October 19th, 2011, 09:47
looks great i think the 5 was used in a ground support role what model is that

delta_lima
October 19th, 2011, 10:04
looks great i think the 5 was used in a ground support role what model is that

Punctuation wasn't your strong subject in school, was it? :icon_lol:

Just kidding. :icon29: That's Piglet's (Tim Conrad) model ...

dl

Shane Strong CYHZ
October 19th, 2011, 11:42
I guess msn and such ruined my grammer as well as most kids these days . :)

lazarus
October 19th, 2011, 16:59
Bad habbits are easy to fall into. The only defence against electronic english gaining legitimacy like ; oh, say ebonics (!!) is to eshew it use. Re Bear hunting. Indeed, we tried, out of Norway. Often with negative results. The Tu-95/142 is a tough target for a radar-less clear air light attack jet. The combat effectiveness of the aircraft was highly questionable, even in the context of a 'secondary' theater ( Who ever made these fancifull assessments never looked at the map!) like the Northern Flank. A bit more success was had against ELINT CUBs and MAYs. Lower, slower, but it all still hinged on a good fighter controller, perfect navigation, weather, and luck.
Just mucking about with tailpipe textures, but I keep getting sidetracked into Wyverns, then aggressor CF-5's, then replacing Cherry-okie AI traffic with TU-142's and reliving misspent youth.
I found a single 'symetrical' era varigated cam CF-5 repaint for Piglets model on AVSIM, so good thing I ran with the earlier paint scheme.

Dimus
October 20th, 2011, 00:20
My instructor flew two types of planes in the Hellenic Air Force, first the F-5A and then the A-7H. Being young and cocky, he tells me that the F-5A was the best fun he ever had in the air, but it is fortunate he did not have to use it in anger. After transferring to the A-7H the shock of absorbing all the data for all the systems and avionics was tremendous.