PDA

View Full Version : Help with Windows 7 Please!

Ghostrider
October 15th, 2011, 16:08
Hey guys,

I have been trying to get CFS2 running on my new machine with the following specs:

Intel i7-2600 processor at 3.4GHz
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
16GB RAM
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 1Gig GPU
2x 1 TB Internal Hard Drives
Logitech G110 Keyboard
Logitech anywhereMX mouse

Stock CFS 2 runs fine, albeit at only 60 FPS, which is fine, but I'm thinking I should be pushing 300 or so.

When I add any addon aircraft or ships, I have problems. After loading the flight, I have a black "wait" mouse icon that never goes away, and keyboard inputs don't work, except ALT still brings up the menu, and I can exit, change views, etc normally using my mouse.

I have read everything I can find on the internet about this - I've done the run as administrator install and exe, installed to the default folder (X86), installed to a different folder, installed to a different physical drive, made sure all folders and files were not read only, my UAC is turned off, and I have set all permissions to full for all users.

What am I missing here? This is driving me nuts! Thanks for any help and/or advice...

Jagdflieger
October 15th, 2011, 21:10
I've had some issues too with Windows 7 and CFS 2. I've found that if I run CFS 2 and FS 9 in Windows mode, I get around most of the issues. I don't know if this is windows related or video card related, but it's been this way with two different computers using W7.

Alt (for menu bar)>View>Full Screen

Unclick the Full Screen option and it will drop you into Windows mode. You can then drag your window out full screen if you want and you'll always have your menu bar visible at the top of the screen.

Ghostrider
October 16th, 2011, 04:32
Thanks Jagd,

I've done some of that too, and tried some different screen resolutions. No luck so far. Strange thing is, stock runs fine full screened and everything maxed out, and I have even added everything back in (scenery, textures, scenedb, objects_dp, GSL, effects, missions, campaigns, and all is well, but as soon as I add the first ship or plane, I get that stupid spinning black circle of death!

Fibber
October 16th, 2011, 11:20
Have you read this thread on your problem? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/unable-to-start-cfs2/542c218a-1e6c-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Also Wolfi had a similar post here; http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?24664-Cfs2-in-windows-7/page2

Fibber
October 16th, 2011, 15:56
Ghost, there seems to be some sort of compatability problem with Win7 and CFS2. Try here for some compatable drivers ; http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-US/default.aspx and here for the original page; http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Everything I see has to do with making the Win7 backward to XP for the game to work and some drivers are different.

Good luck!

demorier
October 16th, 2011, 18:54
Can't help thinking a lot of 'issues' people have had with this sim is due to running it on a 64bit system. I've had mine running on a lower spec machine with 32 bit Vista for ages...doesn't give me much grief at all.

Wulf190
October 16th, 2011, 19:41
Have you tried installing CFS2 outside of the 'normal' file structure? What I found is that Windows 7 hates CFS2's 2D panels, or mirror addons. Paul Burnage's Mossies will not work in Windows 7 until you erase the 2D panel from the panel.cfg file. Why? I don't know. I can only surmise that it's because of CFS2's age, and that Windows 7 no longer directly supports aspects of CFS2's programing.

I hate to say this, but I solved all of my Windows 7 CFS2 issues by installing a second HDD in my rig and dual booting XP pro 32bit and Windows 7. XP has all my games. Windows 7, everything else.

i7-930 @ 2.8GHZ

GTX460 1GB card

6 GB of RAM

2X500GB HDD (one for XP the other for W7)

Ian Astill
October 17th, 2011, 10:23
I have mine setup on a 64 bit system and I have very few problems bar panels and tbh I can live without a mirror

There have been a couple of problems but all have had simple fixes

Ghostrider
October 18th, 2011, 17:54
Thanks for the help guys,

Still trying, no success yet. Will report back if I figure anything out. I find it really strange that say, Ian, for example, is also running 64 bit Win 7 and no problems. My system is basically new, hasn't had time to accumulate much wierdness, as computers do as they get older (read: I haven't had time to really screw it up yet).

I'd like to know from folks who are able to run CFS2 in Win 7: are all your files and folders that you create, including CFS2, read only? It seems this may be a problem. Some people, like me, can't create a new folder without it's being "read only". The way to remove this attribute is as arcane and unknowable as any mystery in the universe. Even Micro$oft isn't sure how to do it. According to them, as a last resort, one can use the command prompt, and the "attrib -R" command. Guess what: that doesn't work either. So yeah, I'm pulling my hair out. I have this kick-@$$ CFS2 Install, a smokin' new machine, and they won't play together nicely.

Thanks again for any light you guys can shed on the subject,

SPman
October 18th, 2011, 18:40
This is worrying. The new box I'm building up has similar specs to yours..........hmmmmm

Hern07
October 18th, 2011, 20:08
This is a "for what it's worth" reply. I had trouble installing cf2 also, always wierd and never the same one twice. I found a hint in PC Pilot that suggested installin all flight sims directly to the hard drive. I created a folder on the HD named, originally enough, flight sims and download into it. So far I have five diffenent installs of CFS2 and have not had a problem yet.

P51FAN
October 18th, 2011, 22:15
I'd like to know from folks who are able to run CFS2 in Win 7: are all your files and folders that you create, including CFS2, read only? It seems this may be a problem. Some people, like me, can't create a new folder without it's being "read only". The way to remove this attribute is as arcane and unknowable as any mystery in the universe. Even Micro$oft isn't sure how to do it. According to them, as a last resort, one can use the command prompt, and the "attrib -R" command. Guess what: that doesn't work either. So yeah, I'm pulling my hair out. I have this kick-@$$ CFS2 Install, a smokin' new machine, and they won't play together nicely.
Thanks again for any light you guys can shed on the subject,

My new computer runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and I have 7 installs of Nascar Racing 2003, 13 of CFS2, 5 of CFS3, 1 of FS2002, and 1 (at the moment) of FS2004 installed in C:\Papyrus; all of which work fine. The only exception was NR2003, which didn't work until I turned off hardware Data Execution Prevention (Which I had to do on my old computer that ran Vista, so that's not too surprising).

I do not think that DEP is the problem in this case (Plus your computer may not even have hardware DEP), and turning it off could end up messing up your computer, so I would not suggest trying that right now.

The only answer I can give as of this point, is that read only IS a problem. I tried at one point editing qc.mis and then setting it to read only, and I got an error message. At least for me, to unset read only right click on the file or folder, and clear the read only box (Picture available by request). Also, by any chance are you running cfs2.exe as an administrator?

Ghostrider
October 19th, 2011, 17:01
Yeah, I keep coming back to that read only attribute. You most definitely cannot just right click\properties\uncheck the read only box in any os XP or later. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

How you CAN do it? That's a really good question, as the methods they outline do not work on some sysytems (mine).

Still trying to figure that one out.

Cody Coyote
October 19th, 2011, 19:44
I purchased my system a little over a year ago and run Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. CFS2 was one of the first installs I did and it runs smooth as silk. I have it located on an internal drive designated as the D: drive, not on the C: drive with the operating system. I did a random check of a dozen or so files (country.cfg, cfs2.cfg, airbases.dat, aircraft.cfg, etc.) based on your comments above and none of them are read only. CFS2 runs better for me than it ever has. If there is a Windows 7 bug, I haven't found it yet. I do have the cfs2.exe file set to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service pack 3 and I am the only user so I run everything as the administrator.

P51FAN
October 19th, 2011, 22:31
Yeah, I keep coming back to that read only attribute. You most definitely cannot just right click\properties\uncheck the read only box in any os XP or later. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549)

How you CAN do it? That's a really good question, as the methods they outline do not work on some sysytems (mine).

Funny, works just fine for me.

For a test, I created a text file and set it for read only then tried editing it again, and it would not let me save it. After I unset read only in the same manner that I described earlier, I could save changes to the text file. I also tried the same thing; just this time with a aircraft.cfg file in one of my CFS2 installs, and I got the same result.

P.s. Even though there is a blue square in the read only checkbox, I know read only is NOT set.

Ian Astill
October 19th, 2011, 23:26
My installs are located in C:program files (x86)/ microsoft games/

the files are all marked read only and i have never altered this. I did however right click on the root folder, go into properties/ security and gave myself full control under permissions.

Ghostrider
October 22nd, 2011, 07:25
Please read this post all the way through. Make sure you have solid anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall security software running before disabling UAC.

Okay guys, here's what I have done: First, a registry hack to give you a right click menu option of "Take Ownership". As its name suggests, this allows you to quickly take ownership of files and folders with a right click. Take ownership of your main CFS2 folder(s).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=take ownership registry hack windows 7&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.howtogeek.com%2Fhowto%2Fwindo ws-vista%2Fadd-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista%2F&ei=X9qiTpv0PIrMtgeo6cyNBQ&usg=AFQjCNHvIIF8Q7NTY_fWn9TeUuC0KpxupA

Next, actually turn UAC off. If you just use the slider (GUI), it's not really off. It's still running in the background, screwing things up for you. Here's how: again, make sure your security software regime is up to snuff first.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4820/how-to-really-completely-disable-uac-on-windows-7/

The next issue I have discovered is panel background resolution. Caveat: This may actually have been the ONLY issue all aong, and the above hacks may not even be necessary, but they are useful nonetheless. Your mileage may vary. Many aircraft (all stock aircraft, FDG aircraft, and Morton's panels) come with panel background *.BMP resolutions of 1024x768 AND 640x480.
Those aircraft will work fine. If, on the other hand, the only panel background resolution available in the aircraft's panel folder is is 1024x768, as soon as you try to load a flight, the sim will hang.

The solution to this is obviously to only use panels featuring both resolutions. Windows 7x64 (at least mine, and I gather some other folks too) doesn't like the higher resolution background BMPs. If you can save a 640x480 version of your high res panel background, and incorporate it into your panel.cfg using either FS Panel Studio, or hand editing with Notepad, you're good to go. I will be working on an update for my B-29 panel, which will fix this.

Thanks everyone, for your help with this. Next question, though, I'm still only running at about 30 FPS or so with one aircraft flying. Any ideas? I can run FSX maxed out at 30-40 FPS in ATL with lots of traffic around - what gives? I now CFS2 can only use one processor, but sheesh!

Ghostrider
October 24th, 2011, 13:36
Just to help anyone else who is getting the "spinning black circle of death" in Windows 7x64, the main problem seems indeed to be panel BMP resolutions higher than 640x480. The higher resolution BMP panel backgrounds will cause the program to hang on trying to load a flight with an aircraft with one of these panels. The easy fix is to save the high res panel BMP in a 640x480 version, and edit the panel.cfg file in notepad to use the lower res version. Even better, grab a copy of FS Panel Studio, and you can easily re-work the panel, and reposition the instruments, and you're back in business.

As an alternative, just grab the panel folder from an aircraft that works, and substitute it for the offending panel folder.

P51FAN
October 25th, 2011, 10:13
Next question, though, I'm still only running at about 30 FPS or so with one aircraft flying. Any ideas? I can run FSX maxed out at 30-40 FPS in ATL with lots of traffic around - what gives? I now CFS2 can only use one processor, but sheesh!

A few days ago while I was doing a little testing regarding your question, I put CFS2 into window mode while running Andrew Wai's P-51D in free flight.

When in full screen CFS2 averages about 55-60 FPS; when I put it into a window, with the default 2D panel (1024x768 BMP only), 6-10 FPS. When I switch to HUD view, I get anywhere between 55-135 FPS. When I tried this same experiment with the B-24 Guy's overhauled A6M2, I got 45-55 FPS with the 2D panel, 55-200 with HUD.

Ghostrider
October 25th, 2011, 15:27
When I run in a window, everything outside the plane is black. In fullscreen flying the stock F4U, I run 30 FPS whether in external, 2-D or VC, all against a clear blue sky. Interesting.

Human Drone
December 8th, 2011, 05:47
Shameless Bookmark! Thanks guys... doing an install on my new machine son!

Devildog73
December 8th, 2011, 23:56
It must be a 64 bit issue. I have dual boot system; XP and WIN7 both under 32 bit. I have all of my flight sims in their own folder on the root C:.
I have ownership of the folders and run as administrator. WIN7 has some querks, but for the most part runs fine in flight. I have found that I have to shut down background programs to get things running the way they should run though. I shut down everything but my antivirus and firewall that I am able to close. My FPS run about 50-65 until I get into some major scenery challenges with lots of ships and aircraft. "Cover the invasion forces" of Rami and my Tuskegee Airmen is one that really tanks FPS in WIN7. I have to reboot into XP to work on any mission files because WIN7 has some querks in them even with me running as owner and administrator.

I am running AMD 2.4GIG CPU, 4GIGs RAM, 1GIG nVidia 9800GTS, 7200RPM SATA HDs. Of course with 32 bit I am only running 3.33GIGs of RAM.

I seldom run CFS2 on my laptop any more. It is also dual boot separate HDs; XP 32 bit and WIN7 64bit, 4GIGs RAM, 512 Radeon 1260 ATI onboard Vid, 5400 RPM (XP) & 7200RPM (WIN7) HDs. The onboard vid card is just too impotent to run CFS2 above medium to low settings.