PDA

View Full Version : Model Hex Edit Gurus

Oglivie
October 15th, 2011, 09:18
Is it possible without too much complex major work to remove or install a model shadow with a Hex Edit utility?

The B24 Guy
October 15th, 2011, 15:13
Hi Oglivie,

Should be able to do it with SCASM.

Got a link to the model?

Regards,
B24Guy

Oglivie
October 16th, 2011, 09:31
B24Guy,

Thank you for your response. The model I was curious about is the Gnoopy B-29 no turret model that is in Ghostrider's B-29B.zip download here at SOH. I tried MDLC to convert, but the model conversion to scasm errors out and stops converting. The incomplete scasm file lists the first part of the model code with the first vertex list and some more of the code following the first vertex list before it quit converting. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get MDLC to work with any of the Gnoopy B-29 models because that would be the only way to edit this particular model (other than hex editing) because the source code is no longer available for it. Again thanks for your reply and any ideas are appreciated of course.

Cheers,
O

B-29B "Silverplate" Superfortress (B-29B.zip)
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?s=&catid=52&keyid=&nameid=&page=1&pp=15&sort=h

sc7500
October 16th, 2011, 11:22
According to the Read_Me file in MY ZIP copy of this B-29, it's ALREADY converted to CFS2, Oglivie...???

Gnoopy's Beta CFS 2 B-29

This upload contains Tom "Gnoopy" Kohler's beta B-29 Superfortress bomber. Although it remains an "inprogress" beta plane, it is still one of the most refined B-29 Superforts available for CFS 2.

I had the privilege of beta testing the plane in early 2004. During the testing process, Gnoopy suffered computer probmems and lost all of his CFS 2 B-29 files. As a result, I ended up with probably the last surviving CFS 2 version of this wonderful model. With Gnoopy's permission and encouragement, I'm uploading it to the Sim-Outhouse so that all of the CFS 2 Faithful can enjoy it too.

It achieves very good frame rates, has a nice virtual cockpit, multiple levels of detail, 2d panel and two working bomb bays as well as the usual CFS 2 animation of flaps, cowl flaps, control surfaces and landing gear. The DP file is set up for use with DBolt's US Weapons.

I will upload a separate texture package with several different liveries for use over the Japan of 1944 and 1945.

See Gnoopy's notes (enclosed) for further details.

If you have any questions, you may contact me in the CFS 2 forum at:

www.sim-outhouse.com
Dave
Jagdflieger

Oglivie
October 16th, 2011, 11:34
According to the Read_Me file in MY ZIP copy of this B-29, it's ALREADY converted to CFS2, Oglivie...???

SC,

Yes, I know it is already converted for CFS2. However, I was more inclined to find away to edit the model for the shadow effects for the B. And perhaps even multi-res as I did with Eckert's B-26.

Cheers,
O

sc7500
October 16th, 2011, 12:37
Sorry, O - I mis-read your original post and thot you were trying to convert an already-converted MDL !

I'll go back to watching Detroit and the 49ers....

SC
:kilroy:

The B24 Guy
October 16th, 2011, 17:39
Hi Oglivie,

I was able to decompile it using MDLC142, But it is a big .sca file 75mb.

It is all ready multi-res ed.

Regards,

B24Guy

Oglivie
October 17th, 2011, 14:05
Hi B24Guy,

I downloaded a fresh copy of MDLC142 and it worked (B-29_NT.mdl) and I have a complete scasm file (I think, at least no errors). I had been using MDLC beta85 190 previously that wouldn't complete the conversion to scasm without erroring out. I did not know the mdl was multi-res'd, I see that it is. Thank You.

I do have another prob though. When I try to recompile the scasm with MDLC142 it errors during the make bgl (/m) phase and also the convert to MD2 (/c). No editing modifications were made to the scasm file (other than the set parameters listd below), I just was testing to see if it would before tinkering with the scasm. Attached below is the errors, folder files (I copied the convert, gmax.md2 fsds.md2 files from my MDLC190 folder) and batch file content. The Scasm version I have is 2.96. I think at this time I may have to get the code fixed up so it will compile, unless there is something I missed somewheres.

Cheers,
O

MDL Set
--------
Set( RAW 1 )
Set( BUF 8192 ) <--increased
Set( LABELS 9000 )
Set( PATCHES 9000 )
Set( LINBUF 16384 ) <--increased
Set( MAXPTLST 76000 ) <--increased
Set( FSVERS 0x0732 )

Batch
-----
mdlc /m b-29_nt.sca
pause
mdlc /l b-29_nt.bgl
pause
mdlc /c b-29_nt.mdk
pause
ren B-29_NT.MD2 B-29_NT.MDL

The B24 Guy
October 18th, 2011, 15:31
Hi Oglivie,

I am having the same problem. I really don't know what the resolution is.
I think I will try MDLC 190 and see what happens.

Regards,
B24Guy

Oglivie
October 23rd, 2011, 17:52
Hi B24Guy,

I'm currently still stumped as to the fix for this one. I tried the 190 version you suggested, but it was a no go for me. I'm not familiar with the Interpolate command and its parameters either (that is erroring out during the make bgl phase of MDLC). MDLC sure isn't happy with the Interpolate parameters in the decompiled scasm. It looks like the 2xx error during convert to MD2 is a RAM error because of the failure to successfully make the bgl from the scasm.

Cheers,
O

Shessi
October 24th, 2011, 09:21
Hi O & B24,
Frustrating isn't it?...grrr!!! :icon_lol:

I have found that mdl's bigger than about 5Mb, that create huge sca files (25Mb+), like this one, just will not re-compile. The errors in line etc etc, is usually due to modding the sca file and it does not 'like' the edits or it is the wrong place/order. As you say the 201/203 runtime error is a memory issue, and as you've modded the ini file to allow more time there's not much more you can do.
I have also found that messing with already-converted-to-CFS2 mdls, causes more problems and often does not work.

Now, I like challenge!, so I looked at Gnoopey's B29 pack and if you're not aware he did a AI lite version. Well I don't know what makes up the huge 5.92Mb in SC's and Ghost's conversion , but converting this Fs9 AI lite version, everything works (except the rudder and wheels, also no shadow and is missing a rear RH uc door, which also do not work or are missing in SC's version as well), the full VC's there, and it is only 3.77Mb! (Both versions are multi-res so there's no hit in having the smaller mdl ac)

And guess what, this will convert to sca and re-compile, BUT using MDLC 117, it will not re-compile with 190/140/142/75 . So with this you may be able to get the shadow working, and re-compile with manual MDLC.

The other option is the ol' chestnut of changing the ISFT header by hex editing to using an easily converted Fs9 ac such as the Fs9 DC3 or Bell 206, then converting it. At the same time you may be able to hex the shadow in, then convert. As this is a GMAX ac then this will probably work(?!)

Anyway, hope this helps!

Cheers Shessi

Oglivie
October 29th, 2011, 07:48
Thanks Shessi,

I haven't had much time this last week. I have the B29B_912.zip (FS2004) which has two different AI built MDL's. I just need to locate the MDLC117 d/l. I don't recall where it is available at, so will do a search.

I found 117 at Simviation and downloaded it, I will have more time this evening to tinker a bit.

Cheers,
O

Shessi
October 29th, 2011, 08:51
Hi O,
Good luck and if you need any help just shout....

Cheers

Shessi

Oglivie
November 12th, 2011, 11:47
Hi Shessi and Everyone,

I currently got the model file size down to 3.46 meg. This has the VC and shadow included. The external model is only one lod, but I think I can apply a multi-res technique that I did similar for the Eckert B-26 that will work well and keep the mdl file size down. Time consuming stuff to say the least and some model issues still need to be done yet, but making some progress.

Cheers,
O

Shessi
November 13th, 2011, 08:49
Hey good work O!,

I take it you are using 117? That missing gear bay door, I don't know if it's deleted or transparent?

Actually it is still good on FR's even at the 3.77Mb size. So anything will help/improve it.

Cheers

Shessi

Oglivie
November 14th, 2011, 13:12
Hi Shessi,

Thank You. Yes, I'm using the 117. However, my observation is that 142 will decompile to scasm a much larger mdl size. So far I have decompiled up to 8.8 meg mdls resulting in a 44 meg scasm file with 142. None of the MDLC versions I have so far (117,142,190) will recompile this large scasm file size however, so I am using only one of the exterior lods (the primary with the most detail) in the scasm so MDLC will compile the smaller scasm file size (using 117).

The scasm code I have used is from the B-29_SP (FS2004) and it has all the gear bay doors. It has more detail than the AI light mdl, so I am going to attempt to use that one. Some work remains though to improve some features: prop spin animation, better rear fuselage texture match up for the CFS2 textures, and some transparency issues for the cockpit glass and interior parts. With time, I think these can be resolved.

The CFS2 mdl, even with one external lod (for a small sca file size), still gives me errors during compile. That appears to just leave the FS2004 mdls (with file size reduced) that are compiling without errors.

With a nice working mdl that will fit nicely into the Ghostrider package, SC and Morton textures, and the required permission I will uploaded to the library when complete. But for now more time and tinkering needs to be done.

If I get stuck I'll post more problems (lol). Thanks again to You and B24Guy. More later...

Cheers,
O