PDA

View Full Version : Radio Problems with Tim's OV-1B Mohawk

falcon409
October 14th, 2011, 04:36
I'm posting this as a new thread to try to get the problem resolved. This came up in another thread for some new liveries that had been uploaded by "Wrench" and thus far I've found no fix for it. The OV-1 uses the KingAir Com, Nav, ADF and ATC Radios. They show an active frequency, however if you try to click on the frequency window to change the numbers, there's no change. . .the frequencies cannot be changed by clicking. The knobs aren't active, so there's no other way to get to a different freq. "Sieggie" posted that he has the OV-1 and the radios work fine in the VC, so either he somehow got them to work, or somewhere out there a fix is floating in limbo, lol. I have some recollection of this coming up back when Tim released this airplane, but I can't find anything on it in the forum search. Does anyone else remember this and if so, what was the fix, if any?

Sieggie
October 14th, 2011, 06:03
I don't remember fixing anything to do with the radios to make them work but I will compare my original DLs with what I am currently flying to see. I was flying the B training model to test the radios. When I get home I will experiment and let you know what I find.

Dave

Sieggie
October 14th, 2011, 06:09
Refering to the other thread,

By version I meant Model. There were 4 different models in the pack and each has its own panel.cfg. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the same model you were having problems with.

If you bring up ATC will the radio change freqs to the Tower, Ground or ATIS?

Dave

falcon409
October 14th, 2011, 10:15
Refering to the other thread,
By version I meant Model. There were 4 different models in the pack and each has its own panel.cfg. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the same model you were having problems with.
If you bring up ATC will the radio change freqs to the Tower, Ground or ATIS?
Dave
To clarify, all three panel.cfg's are identical. You could actually delete the other two and alias those airplanes just to the B model panel and you would still have the same cockpit and gauges. The two Com radios and the two Nav radios are the problem. They do not allow changes in the freq's. The ATC, ADF, DME, AP and Audio all function fine. This is the Mohawk Pack that has all the models, made for FSX/SP2/Accel. I don't use DX10, nor do I run any exotic sound files or addons that would mess with the radio functions. Aside from SP2 and Accel, UTX, GEX and REX, this is a very straightforward setup.:salute:

Sieggie
October 14th, 2011, 15:05
I have a model OV-1D_TNR which uses just the Bendix_king_radio.dll for the radios and the DME all the others use KingAir_radio.dll.

On the B, C and D original models, I click in the number window to change the freqs. In the D_TNR model I click on the big knob on the right of the guage. both change the secondary radio, then I click the swap button to make them active.

Something interesting is I had 3 entries in my FSX.CFG for both files which means the files have been updated and reauthorized a few times.

Here are the dates and versions of what I have that seem to work:

KingAir_radio.dll version 10.0.61637.0 dated 09/26/07
Bendix_king_radio.dll version 10.0.61637.0 dated 09/27/07

I am guessing the date is when I loaded it rather then when it was created as it sort of looks like the day I loaded the acceleration pack to the basic FSX.

Hope this helps

P.S. I am running XP not W7

PRB
October 14th, 2011, 15:28
This happened to me once. After checking to see that the radios installed in the panel, and the radio definitions in the aircraft.cfg file matched, in terms of standby freq capability, which I'm sure you've already checked, I went looking deeper. In my case, I had, somehow, switched my Bendix gauges with an older set from FS2002 or some such, which exhibited the symptoms you describe. I think it happened when I installed a freeware plane with older gauge files in it, and overwrote the new ones of the same name. Probably not what's happening in your case anyway, or other planes would have similar issues.

Roger
October 14th, 2011, 15:33
Good point Paul,
After some mishaps in the early days of port-overs I now never add Fs9 gauges to the main gauges folder, they stay in the port-over's panel folder. Same with effects, no Fs9 effects ever go into my FsX effects folder.

Wrench
October 14th, 2011, 17:43
I have a model OV-1D_TNR which uses just the Bendix_king_radio.dll for the radios and the DME all the others use KingAir_radio.dll.

On the B, C and D original models, I click in the number window to change the freqs. In the D_TNR model I click on the big knob on the right of the guage. both change the secondary radio, then I click the swap button to make them active.

Something interesting is I had 3 entries in my FSX.CFG for both files which means the files have been updated and reauthorized a few times.

Here are the dates and versions of what I have that seem to work:

KingAir_radio.dll version 10.0.61637.0 dated 09/26/07
Bendix_king_radio.dll version 10.0.61637.0 dated 09/27/07

I am guessing the date is when I loaded it rather then when it was created as it sort of looks like the day I loaded the acceleration pack to the basic FSX.

Hope this helps

P.S. I am running XP not W7

Thanks for the info Sieggie. I had a look at my fsx.cfg and my versions of the KingAir_radio and Bendix_king_radio.dll and my dll files match yours so it would appear that the dll version is not the problem here...thanks to all of you so far for all your efforts....a solutuion must be right around the corner, right? Here's hopin....

Cheers
Wrench

HvyEng
October 15th, 2011, 03:36
Howdy Folks,

Just a thought, check your aircraft.cfg for each model and make sure it reads:

[Radios] // availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope
Audio.1 = 1
Com.1 = 1, 1
Com.2 = 1, 1
Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1
Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0
Adf.1 = 1
Transponder.1 = 1
Marker.1 = 1

and NOT

Audio.1 = 1
Com.1 = 1, 0
Com.2 = 1, 0
Nav.1 = 1, 0, 1
Nav.2 = 1, 0, 0
Adf.1 = 1
Transponder.1 = 1
Marker.1 = 1

The zeros will block the standby freq from working, maybe that is it?

--Dan

big-mike
October 15th, 2011, 08:05
BTW----anybody knows a good soundset for the OV1B?
Michael

Wrench
October 15th, 2011, 15:11
Howdy Folks,

Audio.1 = 1
Com.1 = 1, 1
Com.2 = 1, 1
Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1
Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0
Adf.1 = 1
Transponder.1 = 1
Marker.1 = 1

and NOT

Audio.1 = 1
Com.1 = 1, 0
Com.2 = 1, 0
Nav.1 = 1, 0, 1
Nav.2 = 1, 0, 0
Adf.1 = 1
Transponder.1 = 1
Marker.1 = 1

--Dan

Thanks for the info Dan; my settings were correct as you described so I guess the problem lies somewhere else anybody else got any ideas or what's amounting to a hunt for holy grail to find the solution for this radio problem.

Cheers and best regards
Wrench

falcon409
October 15th, 2011, 18:31

On the B, C and D original models, I click in the number window to change the freqs. In the D_TNR model I click on the big knob on the right of the gauge. both change the secondary radio, then I click the swap button to make them active. . . . . . .
I have yet to find any package for the Mohawk that comes with a TNR model. Not sure where you got this, but unless I just happen on it by mistake, it could be something you happened on via a forum thread update from another member. So unless someone comes up with a real fix, I'm gonna sub a few radios that look ok and go on. Not worth messin' with.:salute:

Wrench
October 15th, 2011, 18:46
I have yet to find any package for the Mohawk that comes with a TNR model. Not sure where you got this, but unless I just happen on it by mistake, it could be something you happened on via a forum thread update from another member. So unless someone comes up with a real fix, I'm gonna sub a few radios that look ok and go on. Not worth messin' with.:salute:

I'm with you on this one mate....enough is enough....but please send me the changed files or link me to what you've come up with...you've been super helpful. all the best.

Cheers,

Wrench

falcon409
October 15th, 2011, 19:20
Ok, this will be a "is this it" post for Sieggie, lol.

The first pic is the layout for the OV-1's that are part of Tim's updated FSX version of the Mohawk. . . .at least the one I have.
The second pic is the layout for the only TNR model I could locate, which isn't an FSX model, it's an FS9 model.

So Sieggie, is the TNR layout for the VC what you have, or is the first one, like I have correct?

Finally, the last image is the replacement radio layout I came up with. Notice the modeled radio knobs that are part of the model and would not line up with any other radio set than the one I have currently. It doesn't look good, but at least I can set the frequencies.

Sieggie
October 16th, 2011, 05:54
The B,C,and D have the first picture and the D_TNR is what you are showing in the second. For the first my changes when I hit the Numbers for the second pic the mHz changes when the outside ring on the knob is clicked and the kHz changes when the inner portion of the knob is clicked. I have noticed that depending on zoom level, sometimes the minus will not show up for the mHz on the right edge and must be clicked higher up on the ring.

Another possibility is that I have redone all my textures from BMPs to DDS DXT5s, at 1024. My machine is to slow to use bigger textures so I always convert to something my video and PC can handle. Maybe try converting the textures on one of the models and see it that makes a difference. Just a WAG.

Dave

falcon409
October 16th, 2011, 14:07
The B,C,and D have the first picture and the D_TNR is what you are showing in the second. For the first my changes when I hit the Numbers for the second pic the mHz changes when the outside ring on the knob is clicked and the kHz changes when the inner portion of the knob is clicked. I have noticed that depending on zoom level, sometimes the minus will not show up for the mHz on the right edge and must be clicked higher up on the ring.

Another possibility is that I have redone all my textures from BMPs to DDS DXT5s, at 1024. My machine is to slow to use bigger textures so I always convert to something my video and PC can handle. Maybe try converting the textures on one of the models and see it that makes a difference. Just a WAG.

Dave
Well, I'm done with it. No one has been able to come up with any reason why yours works and ours doesn't. Apparently Tim doesn't have any fix for it or he would have said so. I doubt the texture size has anything to do with it really and I've tried adjusting the viewpoint fwd and aft with no success. I don't fly the OV-1 anyway, I just loaded it to see if mine worked so I could possibly help "wrench". I have other things I'm working on so all I can say is, I hope someone comes on with an actual fix, cause we've tried all the "what if's" and they don't help. Good Luck guys!!

Sieggie
October 17th, 2011, 14:12
Howdy Folks,

Audio.1 = 1
Com.1 = 1, 1
Com.2 = 1, 1
Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1
Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0
Adf.1 = 1
Transponder.1 = 1
Marker.1 = 1

and NOT

Audio.1 = 1
Com.1 = 1, 0
Com.2 = 1, 0
Nav.1 = 1, 0, 1
Nav.2 = 1, 0, 0
Adf.1 = 1
Transponder.1 = 1
Marker.1 = 1

--Dan

I think HvyEng had the right idea but backwards. The 3 models in the pack do not use the standby so should have 0 as the 2nd number. the D_TRN model does use the standby freq so should have 1 in the second number. Give it a try and see it they will work that way.

Wrench
October 17th, 2011, 15:21
I think HvyEng had the right idea but backwards. The 3 models in the pack do not use the standby so should have 0 as the 2nd number. the D_TRN model does use the standby freq so should have 1 in the second number. Give it a try and see it they will work that way.

Thanks Sieggie,

That suggestion did the trick; my radios now work....my thanks to you all of those who have helped in trying to solve this radio problem.

Best regards
Wrench