PDA

View Full Version : AVG Headache

middle
December 13th, 2008, 14:17
I've got this weird thing going on with my AVG. It comes on and starts doing a scan when it's not supposed to. I configured it to scan on sunday nites at 3am. However, the time sunch is totally off. Does anyone know how to synch the time with the AVG program to the time set on my machine? I see nowhere in the options to do this. It's drivin me nuts. middle

Ickie
December 13th, 2008, 14:44
free mcafee scan check for viruses

http://home.mcafee.com/Downloads/FreeScan.aspx

middle
December 13th, 2008, 14:54
Hmmm...ya think it could be some kinda virii causing that?

Ickie
December 13th, 2008, 15:25
in 2 weeks 3 friends of mine with avg free were hit with viruses.

stansdds
December 14th, 2008, 04:23
Avast!, it's free and it works well, even better than AVG in my opinion.

David_L6
December 14th, 2008, 06:25
I took AVG off of my computers 2 or 3 days ago. Causing too much trouble. Not sure what was wrong though. I've been using the free version of AVG for quite a while.

Moparmike
December 14th, 2008, 09:11
What version you running mid? 8.0?
The scan time schedule SHOULD run off of your system clock, but it is possible that it runs off of the BIOS clock instead...I'm not positive which one it uses. Is your BIOS clock set to GMT by chance? If so, try setting it to your local time/date and adjust Windows time/date accordingly.

Also in the scan schedule, check to see that the 'run on startup if last task was missed' checkbox is unchecked.
Sometimes this will throw a monkey-wrench in the works. That option always threw my Norton Systemworks scheduler off big time...it would start tasks randomly, not always right on startup but when the computer had enough free idle time to think it was time to do the deed.

Also set the scan process priority to high or fast instead of automatic. This won't affect the timing, but it will run the scan through a bit faster when it's going.

Knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with 8.0 except that it uses quite a bit more resources than 7.5 did.
I still use 7.5 on my Linux rigs...no v8.0 for the Linux version yet and it doesn't look like there will be one.

middle
December 14th, 2008, 10:25
Thanks for the info, guys...I'm running AVG 8.0. I get a feeling that yer right, Mopar...It may be not running on the system clock. Right now I'm running a free scan from Kapersky labs. For some reason the McCaffee one that Ickie suggested won't run..it say I have to updat my IE to the latest version except I already have V7....

GT182
December 21st, 2008, 17:16
David, AVG seems to be fixed now. AVG did a complete scan this past Friday and I've had no problems at all so far...... knock on wood.

Middle, you can set a scan for any day and time you want. Go to computer scanner in AVG, click on Edit Schedule Scan. You have to check "Enable this Task" and then "Save" for your schedule to work the scan automatically.

GT182
December 22nd, 2008, 05:41
Just updated again today at 9:40am... all is good with the update and AVG is running like it should.

David_L6
December 24th, 2008, 14:31
David, AVG seems to be fixed now. AVG did a complete scan this past Friday and I've had no problems at all so far......

Thanks for the update. I'll go download it again in a few minutes.

Ickie
December 25th, 2008, 06:11
AVG SUCKS

I think AVG is conspiring to get everyone to BUY
every avg free that I have worked on has went k-put
no email scanner.
They are causing this, just google it and see the thousands of complaints over the past month.
They ought to be sued for not having the balls to speak up and for causing all of this.

This is bullcrap, they ought to just tell everyone that they no longer are giving it away for free!

Over the past month I have spent over 40 hours working on this, .....
yesterday I reloaded a computer and placed AVG free and today It Is Broken, heck I did not even setup the mail yet, gee wizz AVG

its funny I am a paid customer and have no such problem.
I am a paid customer and when my contract runs out so am I!!!