PDA

View Full Version : A TrackIR question

Navy Chief
October 6th, 2011, 13:11
I have a TrackIR 3, with Vector Expansion; plus I just recently bought the headset PRO attachment.

My question is: Are there any videos which explain how to configure this? All I can find are videos that people have taken, showing TrackIR in a game, but nothing that shows actual configuration of the unit, using the software.

Thanks in advance.

NC

Tako_Kichi
October 6th, 2011, 13:19
I could be wrong NC but I am not sure that the headset attachment can even be used with TIR3 (certainly with the stock TIR3 software) as it came out when TIR4 was the current release. You may have to upgrade the software/drivers to TIR4/5 standard before it is even possible (if you can even do that with TIR3, I know you can run TIR4 on the TIR5 software).

Dain Arns
October 6th, 2011, 14:23
TIR3 runs just fine with the latest version 5 software (5.1).
It's the set up I have and no problems here.
Using it right now as this was typed in fact.:icon_lol:

Sorry, can't comment on the ProClip, don't have one.
But there is a button to set it up/use it in the 5 software.

Tako_Kichi
October 6th, 2011, 14:36
Thanks for that info Dain as I didn't know TIR3 could run on the v5 software.

Looks like you may have to upgrade your software as a minimum requirement NC.

Navy Chief
October 6th, 2011, 19:05
Thanks all for the replies. Oh yes, I have the updated software, and yes, I have selected the Pro Clip. I am just one of those who get more from watching a video showing "how to", in addition to the printed manual!

NC

falcon409
October 6th, 2011, 20:20
Thanks all for the replies. Oh yes, I have the updated software, and yes, I have selected the Pro Clip. I am just one of those who get more from watching a video showing "how to", in addition to the printed manual!

NC
Yep, same here NC, I've had my TrackIR setup for many years now and rarely use it because there's a jumpiness (if that's even a word, lol) that makes it difficult to use while flying. I have to turn it off in order to set any radios or use the GPS and then turn it on just to look around. I use it for landings (or did) because it allows me to continually glance back at the rwy while turning base and final. It's supposed to be excellent for heli's because you can view all directions quickly and maintain level flight or hover much easier. However, what I found with that is that after several minutes of turning my head, looking up, down, around. . . inside the cockpit and then outside, the TrackIR has gotten out of center without my noticing it and unless I catch it, I find myself disoriented because I think I'm seeing forward correctly and actually the system has thrown my line of sight off center and I'm not tracking correctly. Anyway, I found it to be more trouble than it's worth and just went back to using the hat switch for viewing.:salute:

Dain Arns
October 6th, 2011, 21:07
Yep, same here NC, I've had my TrackIR setup for many years now and rarely use it because there's a jumpiness (if that's even a word, lol) that makes it difficult to use while flying. I have to turn it off in order to set any radios or use the GPS and then turn it on just to look around. I use it for landings (or did) because it allows me to continually glance back at the rwy while turning base and final. It's supposed to be excellent for heli's because you can view all directions quickly and maintain level flight or hover much easier. However, what I found with that is that after several minutes of turning my head, looking up, down, around. . . inside the cockpit and then outside, the TrackIR has gotten out of center without my noticing it and unless I catch it, I find myself disoriented because I think I'm seeing forward correctly and actually the system has thrown my line of sight off center and I'm not tracking correctly. Anyway, I found it to be more trouble than it's worth and just went back to using the hat switch for viewing.:salute:

I'll just comment the newest software release has been the best so far, IMHO.
If you don't have, try it. It's worth a try, right? ;)

It fixed the 'broken neck' issue for example that seemed to plague the version 4 software, and 5.1 seems more stable in tracking.
Yes, sometimes it gets off-track, but a quick return to a neutral position of your head and hitting the F12 key solves it.
TrackIR is something that initially requires some tweaking for many folks, such as movement rate for the pan, dead spots, as we all put the camera in different places, use different reflectors like the clip, etc.
But frankly, I can't fly FS without it, especially helicopters. I'd go insane trying to hit a remote pad with the Hat Switch. But if that works for you, great. :icon_lol:

Chief, I looked around again for you. but they're really aren't any "how to's" videos.
Once it detects the reflective device, it's good to go.
Don't know what more you're looking for, but the new software seems pretty intuitive to use. *shrug*

Navy Chief
October 7th, 2011, 05:11
TrackIR is something that initially requires some tweaking for many folks, such as movement rate for the pan, dead spots, as we all put the camera in different places, use different reflectors like the clip, etc....they're really aren't any "how to's" videos......Don't know what more you're looking for, but the new software seems pretty intuitive to use. *shrug*

Thanks Dain (and Falcon too!). I am just a little surprised that someone hasn't made a video, showing (step by step) how they configured their TrackIR, using the software. For that matter, I would have thought Natural Point would have done so!

I met one of their reps at the Avsim convention, held in Seattle, in 2007. He did a great demonstration, even showing that the device could be mounted BEHIND your head, and then selecting "reverse" settings. Interesting. That wouldn't work in my case, especially since I am using the Headset device. I do like this device, vs wearing the cap.

I'll figure this out. I mean, it works now. I just want to get more proficient, and learn how to tweak it. I suppose it just takes practice, like anything else!

NC

Dain Arns
October 7th, 2011, 07:51
Thanks Dain (and Falcon too!). I am just a little surprised that someone hasn't made a video, showing (step by step) how they configured their TrackIR, using the software. For that matter, I would have thought Natural Point would have done so!

I met one of their reps at the Avsim convention, held in Seattle, in 2007. He did a great demonstration, even showing that the device could be mounted BEHIND your head, and then selecting "reverse" settings. Interesting. That wouldn't work in my case, especially since I am using the Headset device. I do like this device, vs wearing the cap.

I'll figure this out. I mean, it works now. I just want to get more proficient, and learn how to tweak it. I suppose it just takes practice, like anything else!

NC

Well you make a very good point, Chief.
There are hundreds of review videos of the product, but no tweaking ones.
I too wonder at a few of the videos, how their head movement is so silky smooth with every graphic detail to max in FSX, but it looks like they are running super computers instead of my poor old 4 turning on 5 year old system. :icon_lol:
It would be great if folks had tips like that they could share.

One "tip" I can contribute, the TrackIR is of course a camera.
And it 'sees' only a certain angle of things.
Now most TIR's I see are mounted on top of monitors.
But that distance to the Hat/Clip is pretty short, the angle it can 'see' very small.

If you move your TIR camera back a few feet, it naturally can 'see' more.
Has a larger angle area to work with.
Like if you are trying to take a picture of a group of people with a fixed lens camera, you have to move back to get them all in the shot.

I extended mine out with a cabled USB hub.
I also have it slightly higher than my head so it looks down on me.
Makes it easier to see the reflectors.
I have mine mounted on a shelf about 3-4 feet in front of where I sit, and probably about half foot higher than the top of my head.
Gives you more room to move around, be comfortable instead of stationary directly in front of the monitor.
For example, if you want to move your head out of an open cockpit in a biplane and look past the nose when landing.
With it mounted on top of the monitor, I was running out of range of the camera when I tried doing that before.

Tako_Kichi
October 7th, 2011, 08:39
Dain that is a good tip but I see one caveat.

Moving the camera away from you would indeed give it a wider field of view but that also means that as a by-product it is also going to see more items that will give it 'issues'. It will see more light sources, more reflective surfaces and more sources of heat all of which could cause it to 'stutter' and misread where it's target reflectors/head clip LEDs are located. It would require more fine tuning to filter these out or even necessitate moving items out of view altogether.

Dain Arns
October 7th, 2011, 09:44
Dain that is a good tip but I see one caveat.

Moving the camera away from you would indeed give it a wider field of view but that also means that as a by-product it is also going to see more items that will give it 'issues'. It will see more light sources, more reflective surfaces and more sources of heat all of which could cause it to 'stutter' and misread where it's target reflectors/head clip LEDs are located. It would require more fine tuning to filter these out or even necessitate moving items out of view altogether.

Nope. I have never had that issue at all.
TIR sees the reflectors quite well.

Remember, your still sitting much closer than any other items in the room, as such a much stronger source, and the first source it will lock in on.
Unless you live in a room filled with a bunch of mirrors and lamps. :icon_lol:

The 5.1 software will display any 'reflections' it sees in the small window in the upper right of the software window marked 'camera', when using the middle panel setting, also in the upper right corner.

Give it a try. :wavey:

Tako_Kichi
October 7th, 2011, 13:35
My problem is that where I sit I have a window at my 5 o'clock, a window at my 7 o'clock, a door with glass panels at my 6 o'clock and a ceiling light above and behind me. All of those items can at times produce reflections or direct light that overpower the camera and I get 'view snaps' (even with the filtering cranked up). I can cut the problem down when it gets bad by drawing a curtain/drape 'room divider' closed behind me but that still leaves me with the window at 5 o'clock and the overhead light.

Dain Arns
October 8th, 2011, 02:08
That is a problem! :icon_lol:

During certain times of the year, early in the morning, I'll have problems with an east facing window.
A large, spare chunk of Foamcore I have takes care of that problem.

Navy Chief
October 8th, 2011, 09:26
All GREAT tips!!! My setup is a little unusual. I have a Obutto gaming chair. The distance from the monitor is set; not variable. What I might do, however, is make some type of mount behind the monitor; a little farther away. Plus I am using the headset attachment, vs the hat clip. It will be fun, figuring this all out, eventually!

NC

falcon409
October 8th, 2011, 09:37
After reading the posts herein, I dusted off the hat-clip version I have with the newest software and gave it another go while fling into the Marshall Islands. Because of the way my system is arranged, I also have no way to mount any sort of shelf beyond the widescreen monitor that I have. I did try a variation, just to see the effect and that was to simply push back from the monitor to gain some distance between the camera and the hat clip. The benefit is obvious as it does increase the view angle quite a bit, but for now, I'll just play around with a few settings and see how long I can tolerate it before I put it back on the shelf and go back to the hat switch, lol.:salute:

Dain Arns
October 8th, 2011, 09:38
Guess one note to others reading this.
Remember we are talking the TIR3.
As I understand, the 4 and 5 have much wider fields of view, so result may vary. :icon_lol:

Tako_Kichi
October 8th, 2011, 13:49
Guess one note to others reading this.
Remember we are talking the TIR3.
As I understand, the 4 and 5 have much wider fields of view, so result may vary. :icon_lol:
Ah yes, TIR5 has a much wider field of view.