PDA

View Full Version : VHS family tapes to DVD

limjack
October 2nd, 2011, 19:18
This could take a long long long time. I have been wanting to do this for quite some time now and thought I just got to do it before some of my vhs tapes fail. I already have the vhs player but had to get a conversion kit for it to record into the computer. The first tape I did today went for almost two hours......oh my Lord! I did no editing just saved the file and downloaded it to a DVD then deleted file off my computer. Figure I may do one tape a week and I may finish by the end of the year...lol. I would love to edit them and add a menu to them but that might mean giving up my life for at least a year. Anyone else done this yet? Any advise? I am using dazzle with pinnacle software. The software has really cool effects and gives me good control over movie projects so should be fun to use when doing regular projects.

Jim

paiken
October 2nd, 2011, 20:52
There are companies out there that will do the transfer for you. I have one on my route called "Transfer for Less" that will transfer film, photo's, slides tapes (VHS and Beta) to DVD format. Not sure of the cost, but you could save yourself some frustration by letting someone else do the hard part and then editing yourself at a later date.

stuartcox
October 2nd, 2011, 23:10
Hi Jim,

I did the same a few weeks back.
But I used a different (easier) method.
I plugged the VHS player directly into a DVD-recorder via Scart lead, and let the whole DVD record.
Afterwards you can edit the recording on any PC with any standard video editing program.
Unfortunately it is only possible in real time, but it saves you recording onto the computer first, and then having to convert the files afterwards.
I won't make any recommendations for Video editing software, as it depends on personal preferences, and the willingness to learn how to use some of these very complex programs.
I personally always reverted back to Windows Movie Maker.

Regards, Stuart

Terry
October 3rd, 2011, 03:21
I connected the VHS to my DVD player/recorder. It has a huge hard drive and DVD recorder so you can record the VHS directly to DVD or record to the hard drive and edit the content as you transfer to DVD.

limjack
October 3rd, 2011, 07:00
Thanks for the suggestions. Thought about turning them in but some of the tapes have family shots with tv shows taped in-between and my DVD players are just that, DVD player will no recording capability. I did go out to price them and decided to go with me in the driver seat doing the work So I will just tackle each tape as they come. Don't look forward to those really fragmented tapes..... Shame on me for not organizing them and using them for recording shows as well. Pherhaps with the software I will get the creative bug and have some fun with this as well. Lol.....some of the tapes are from the 80s when VHS started. I had one of those huge panasonic video cameras with the big portable recording machine you lugged over your shoulder (ghostbusters Guys from movie had the same unit). I look forward to seeing some of this video again.

Jim

limjack
October 3rd, 2011, 07:48
Here is a picture of that old beast....recording module and the camera. I felt very cool having the same equipment as the ghostbuters :icon_lol:
http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Camcorder

Jim

stuartcox
October 3rd, 2011, 10:59
I remember the stuff too well!
At the time I was working in a HiFi/TV shop, and was allowed to take the equipment home with me, so I could explain the functions, and sell the products.
I felt like a real reporter, carrying all the gear around :icon_lol:!

limjack
October 3rd, 2011, 16:36
I remember the stuff too well!
At the time I was working in a HiFi/TV shop, and was allowed to take the equipment home with me, so I could explain the functions, and sell the products.
I felt like a real reporter, carrying all the gear around :icon_lol:!

That's exactly how I felt carrying around that setup. Felt very important indeed.

WOW, been just going through screening alot of these tapes and finding things I have not looked at 30 years or so. Came across my Mom and Dads 25 year anniversery tape. My goodness, alot of the guest have passed on and on a fun note found some footage of my commmadore 64 and I was playing luner lander on it.

Jim

gigabyte
October 5th, 2011, 16:59
Thanks for the suggestions. Thought about turning them in but some of the tapes have family shots with tv shows taped in-between and my DVD players are just that, DVD player will no recording capability. I did go out to price them and decided to go with me in the driver seat doing the work So I will just tackle each tape as they come. Don't look forward to those really fragmented tapes..... Shame on me for not organizing them and using them for recording shows as well. Pherhaps with the software I will get the creative bug and have some fun with this as well. Lol.....some of the tapes are from the 80s when VHS started. I had one of those huge panasonic video cameras with the big portable recording machine you lugged over your shoulder (ghostbusters Guys from movie had the same unit). I look forward to seeing some of this video again.

Jim

My wife and I have been doing this off and on now for a couple years, I use the Dazzle to copy to my Media Centre PC and burn a raw copy to DVD. I have also been saving the raw video and we clean them up add titles, fade effects and credits when the mood strikes. It can be fun but it is very time consuming. I am using mainly Windows Live Movie Maker, but I also have Movie Edit Pro which was very reasonably priced but there is a learning curve to be sure.

Best of luck with this, it can be great fun and quite interesting to look back at yourself...