PDA

View Full Version : Flying Graham Michaels' South Pacific

falcon409
October 2nd, 2011, 08:37
There have been a lot of excellent sceneries coming out of "Pacific Island Simulations" for quite some time and since acquiring the freeware offerings and then the "Bush Flying" package for PNG, I've been eyeing the "Fua'amotu International" package as well. I purchased it last evening (very reasonable price for the workmanship) and loaded it this morning. I wanted to fly to this new scenery rather than just starting there and exploring the connecting Island airports, so after some perusing on Google Earth, I came up with a flight plane. Starting at Port Moresby and ending at Fua'amotu. Needless to say, navaids in that region are pretty sparse, but each airport at least has an NDB and most have DME. So, the flight plan is as follows" Depart Port Moresby (AYPY) and fly to Honiara Int'l (AGGH) in the Solomons, then on to Santo Pekoa (NVSS) on Vanuatu then Nadi (NFFN) on Fiji and finally into Fua'amotu. Each leg of the trip averages around 600nm, some less but that's an average. . . .so none of it is so long as to let major boredom set in, lol. These are all paved rwy's of a length that will allow most Commercial Aircraft with no trouble and FSX has done a commendable job with the scenery. I'm currently still in the air to Fiji flying the BAe 146 by PAD and enjoying the trip and anticipating my landing at my destination. Thanks to Graham Michael and his team for some terrific scenery!!

Daveroo
October 2nd, 2011, 10:06
ahhhh now THATS the way to use flight simulator,this is just how i do it when i do fly...have a bit of a mental block right now,cant make myself set up my ch products throttles with FSUIPC and my new eclipse yoke,,damned depression takes all my fun away.....but but back to my point,,this is a great way to use flight sim...seems to me alot of people use it to "test" planes,,or just take off,,circle and land again....i like to set up flights with my differant navaides ive collected (pre depression) and then have pretend ( if yu will) reasons to go,,tourists to las vegas or reno,,family to cave junction oregon..ect

but watch out for vanatu...i have an earthquake app on my phone...they have dozens of qaukes in vanato a week,,some well over 4.0

hae5904
October 2nd, 2011, 10:10
Hi gents,

Why don't you visit his website and forum?
http://www.islandsim.com/

Cheers,
Hank

falcon409
October 2nd, 2011, 11:02
Just went back and picked up Tonga Domestic as well. I've been blessed to have found some light at the end of my financial tunnel and Pacific Island Sims is a great place to spend the lil extra I have.:salute:

Overshoe
October 2nd, 2011, 14:01
Just went back and picked up Tonga Domestic as well. I've been blessed to have found some light at the end of my financial tunnel and Pacific Island Sims is a great place to spend the lil extra I have.:salute:

I agree. I have all Graham's scenery except the very latest which is on my list for this month. Great stuff and PNG is good bush flying. :salute:

strikehawk
October 2nd, 2011, 15:42
Having started out with the freeware Frieda River( say that fast) scenery I quickly went and purchased the full PNG package. Payday after this one I plan on getting a couple more packages. I have kind of outgrown the fast movers and buses but light turboprops and helos still have my interest. Flying around PNG is a great way to spend an afternoon. I'll be loading up in about an hour so I'm easily amused.

On the subject of aircraft for that region try Piglets OV-10A, there is a mod out there, ov-10a_n300na_nar_house_colors, that optimizes it's STOL performance. Touch down is around 60-80 kts, don't know if it's realistic or not but I can at least get into some real tight places. On the plus side, the rear of the main nacelle opens so you can add "cargo".

Now excuse me, I have to do my daily and turnaround plus preflight.

falcon409
October 3rd, 2011, 11:04
I agree. I have all Graham's scenery except the very latest which is on my list for this month. Great stuff and PNG is good bush flying. :salute:
The great thing about the Bush Strips is that they all make you really think about how you're going to get in. . . .and then back out again. I found very few that were simple, flat land, very little obstacles and easily accessible. Some of the altitudes play a part as well if you're not thinking. Try taking off and find that the engine just doesn't seem to be putting out the power it should as you get closer and closer to that drop off and then realize you're at 7 or 8 thousand feet and you forgot to lean the mixture for the higher altitude, lol. Great stuff.

jeansy
October 3rd, 2011, 18:20
thanks

ive been wondering about this package as i love the small island air strips in the pacific

im hoping some one does Pohnpei, Yap, Palau some time soon

falcon409
October 3rd, 2011, 20:28
thanks
ive been wondering about this package as i love the small island air strips in the pacific
im hoping some one does Pohnpei, Yap, Palau some time soon
You won't be disappointed with any of the scenery packages Jeansy, each one has great atmosphere, exceptional detail in the modeling and as you add to the library of places to go, an almost unlimted amount of flying to be done. Well worth looking into.

jeansy
October 3rd, 2011, 20:43
nice, ive always been a fan of that area as ive been deployed there a few times and just love the little islands

roll on next pay day....

falcon409
October 4th, 2011, 10:06
nice, ive always been a fan of that area as ive been deployed there a few times and just love the little islands
roll on next pay day....
lol, yep and Graham is quickly filling up that hole in the South Pacific with fun destinations.:salute: