PDA

View Full Version : My FSX drive

OleBoy
September 30th, 2011, 12:07
went kabluey. Not recognized, no power. Even when connected to another computer PSU. Cripes OH MIGHTY!!! I must have gotten an old egg, from Newegg. Looks like I'm sending it back to Western Digital for a new one.

And it wasn't THAT old. Sheesh :sleep: I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

JIMJAM
September 30th, 2011, 12:58
I had 2 high dollar WD Raptors die on me in the last year. Totally out of the blue. One just died that was 6 months old while the other was only weeks old and flew apart. Sounded like my computer was about to disintergrate.
Dont know why, how,who,what happened but l NEVER buy another Western Digital. I just could never trust it. Jinxed for life. Never had any problems before,have reads tons of positive reviews,got a fairly good rep but they are black cats to me and I could never use them again.
Good luck to ya. Good time to do some computer house cleaning and get rid of alot of things you rarely if ever use.

kilo delta
September 30th, 2011, 14:25
It happens to all manufacturers. In my previous job I RMA'd literally thousands of hard drives and never came across one brand that came out worse than another (never dealt with maxtor,though).:)

Now might be the ideal time to upgrade to an SSD,Oleboy.

OleBoy
September 30th, 2011, 17:26
I would love to be able to move on, and reinstall FSX and all of my other goodies. I've cleaned the registry with crapcleaner and windows 7 manager. Windows 7 manager found a lot of obsolete things that were related to the defunkt drive. The registry cleaner found, and removed all that was related (I think) Problem is that when I insert the FSX disk, I get an option to remove or repair only. Either one I choose makes no difference, as FSX will not install. Now this topic is beginning to be more of a technicality than a lost drive. Sorry.

At this point I'm lost for thoughts of what to do, how, what do I do to fix the issue of not being able to reinstall FSX?

"wimpering" help :kilroy:

strykerpsg
September 30th, 2011, 22:22
Ole boy, do repair option , then go into windows and remove program. I had to do that last install.

Matt

OleBoy
October 1st, 2011, 00:26
Ole boy, do repair option , then go into windows and remove program. I had to do that last install.

Matt

That's part of the trouble. If I choose the repair option I get an error. And if I try the remove option I get an error. I did go into the registry and searched for anything "flight" related, to see if that could possibly be the trouble. I know that remnants in Windows XP had caused things like this in the past so, after my search, all I could find was a remnant of a flight file. Even after removing that nothing changed. FSX will still not install. To clear things up, the drive I am trying to install FSX to, was formatted, and completely clean of everything.

At this point, short of reformatting my OS drive and starting all over (which I would rather not have to do) I am lost as/to what can be causing the troubles

Right-Click to view the images, and then click on the image again. I messed something up.

after choosing the option of repair
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6258/fsxrepairoption.png
repair error
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7882/fsxrepairerror1603.png
after choosing the option remove
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/2874/fsxremoveoption.png

Daube
October 1st, 2011, 02:44
I would try the following:
- since your hardrive is dead, then I suppose all of the FSX installation folder is gone as well. If not, delete everything.
- you ran registry cleaner to delete all FSX-related stuff ? Good, just check once more, just to be sure.
- delete the folder that contains the FSX.cfg
- delete the similar folder that contains some shader things. The path is c:\users\all users\microsoft\fsx.
- more specifically to error 1722: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928080/en
- reboot !
- now try installing. Not repair, not uninstall. It should just accept a norma install, as if it were the very first time. Remember to launch the install "as an administrator" (right click).

OleBoy
October 1st, 2011, 06:43
I tried all you suggested Daube, and made sure that the registry, and C-drive was clean of all possibilities. Upon reboot, I get the same as in the pictures ::stumped::

I also tried the Microsoft KB928080 reset .bat file. For some reason it's not seen and I can't go any further.

I'm almost frustrated enough to format my C-drive and start fresh with the whole machine. Just the thought of it makes me cringe :kilroy:

I'm pretty sure I've gotten everything related removed. Although there's a listing in the Control Panel/Programs and Features menu that shows FSX Acceleration as still installed. I can't seem to get it out of there. So I'm thinking that's the cause. Problem is, how do I get it removed?

when I highlight it and choose the option remove
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/9185/unledgjc.jpg

FAC257
October 1st, 2011, 08:04
Here's an old trick you might try.

Do a search on your Windows hard drive using the word "flight". Then sort the results by "Folder" type.

Depending on whether or not you have FSX, Acceration and the FSX SDK installed you may come up with one to three of the .msi following files.

The one I have highlighted is the installer for FSX, the two above it are for Acceleration and the FSX SDK.

These are "Hidden Protected Operating Systems Files" and won't show up normally unless you have that option unchecked in the "Folder Options - View" menu.

You could try re-naming or moving one or all of them out of the way. I think that would depend on which ones you installed to begin with. Since FSX was not actually un-installed these .msi files could be blocking the new installation???

As always at the very least back them up so you can put them back if it creates a problem. :)

Added:
You may want to run CCleaner another time or two after getting those .msi flies out of the way. CCleaner may suddenly find a whole new batch of now dead FSX files to get rid of.

FAC

OleBoy
October 1st, 2011, 08:19
FAC257, thanks for the assist. I tried your method and come up with nothing. Although I had my fingers crossed.

mmann
October 1st, 2011, 08:31
Reading the problems encountered here makes me glad that I use disk imaging software, it has saved me a number of times. Of course, when I had a motherboard pack it in and Windows needed to be reactivated, the disk image had to be done again. :icon_lol:

OleBoy
October 1st, 2011, 08:47
I found a program called AddRemovePro v2.11 (freeware) that gave me the ability to remove the listings from the W7 Programs and Features (uninstall Programs) listing. I was hoping that would alleviate the issue of not being able to install FSX. I still can't install it :sigh:

I found and tried this also http://www.flightsimulationforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4490