PDA

View Full Version : Thor's Hammer FSX Freeware "Rafale Marine" ! October 1st !

VaporZ
September 30th, 2011, 04:12
Thor's Hammer FSX Freeware "Rafale Marine" will be launch in public, at the "6ième Mondial de la Simulation"
event, on saturday October 1st, at the "Musée de l 'Air et de l'Espace", Le Bourget Airport on the neibourhood
of Paris, France !

During this launching event, this Freeware FSX "Rafale Marine" will be made available for free download on
the "French Air Force" website here :

http://www.frenchairforce.fr/news.php

You can follow the past progression of this freeware project on the following french forum :
http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?pid=356868#p356868

Thanks to Thor's Hammer for this beautifull freeware project !
:applause::ernae::applause:
VaporZ

Chris Sykes
September 30th, 2011, 05:53
Looks really good! just seems to read that there no VC though... Least i can try and mod in the other certain rafale VC

ryanbatc
September 30th, 2011, 06:53
There used to be a VC...did he end up canning it?

CG_1976
September 30th, 2011, 07:29
VaporZ, can you go to post #1443 at http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=4619&p=58 and translate please. Seems to be discussing a VC mod.

Mach3DS
September 30th, 2011, 09:45
Thor's Hammer is alluding to the fact that there WILL be a VC. He's not previewing it though. It will likely be a surprise for everyone on the release day. Tomorrow. Been following this for a long time. Excited for it definitely! :D

VaporZ
September 30th, 2011, 10:18
I confirm there will be no VC for the moment !

Take a look at the picture below
No VC !
:kilroy:
VaporZ

Mach3DS
September 30th, 2011, 11:20
Looks like my french is a little rusty....should have used Google...lol I will certainly "borrow" a VC from my hangar... :)

fsafranek
September 30th, 2011, 12:11
Yea, it did have a VC under development when I saw it last year but I guess I didn't post any pictures of it on my preview page (http://E:\websites\mirage\preview24.html). Well, we've had to merge in a temporary VC as we've successfully done before -- Kawasaki T-4 for example.
:ernae:

Killbilly
September 30th, 2011, 12:20
I confirm there will be no VC for the moment !

Take a look at the picture below
No VC !
:kilroy:
VaporZ

Ha! Wouldn't that be no WC?

warchild
September 30th, 2011, 13:06
::roflmao:: Good one ..

VaporZ
September 30th, 2011, 13:27
Ha! Wouldn't that be no WC?

Yes but in France and / or in french language it is pronounced
"VC" ( Vay Say ).

Explaining this french "gag" picture !
:mixedsmi:
"Vay"-Porz

Lateral-G
October 1st, 2011, 05:37
now I need a crash course on how to 'borrow' a VC.......

anyone?

anyone?

Bueller?

robertorizzo
October 1st, 2011, 06:04
Etendard?
Rafale Rollus?

Can anyone explain how to merge a VC?

And...having Laborie's Rafale does it worth to merge its VC with Thor's plane?
May we have a Rollus vs Thor's pro & cons?

Thanks.

Ferry_vO
October 1st, 2011, 06:14
It is available! (But only a slow Megaupload...)

May try to merge in the default F-18 VC later...

Ferry_vO
October 1st, 2011, 07:12
Easy enough..

How to add the default Acceleration F/A-18 Hornet VC to the Rafale:

1. Go to the FsX\Simobjects\airplanes\A-18\model folder and copy the file FA-18_interior.mdl to the FsX\Simobjects\airplanes\Rafale M 3x1275litres\model folder.

2. Open the model.cfg in the Rafale M 3x1275litres\model folder and add the line 'interior=FA-18_Interior'.

3.Copy all texture from the FA-18\texture folder except the ones that start with FA-18_Wing and FA-18_Main to the Rafale M 3x1275litres\texture folder.

4.Copy the panel.cfg from the FA-18\panel folder and paste it in the Rafale M 3x1275litres\panel folder, replacing the original one.

All other variants of the Rafale are aliased to this particular model (Only the aircraft.cfg's differ to reflect the weight of each version) so you will only have to do steps 1-4 once.

5. In the aircraft.cfg of each variant, replace the [views] section with this:

[Views]
eyepoint=11.524, -0.00, 3.246
zoom=.5

6. Go fly!

DaveWG
October 1st, 2011, 08:01
Is anybody else seeing a red navlight effect where the launchbar attachpoint is? (see attached pic)

it stays with the aircraft in flight and won't turn off with the lights.

falcon409
October 1st, 2011, 08:17
Is anybody else seeing a red navlight effect where the launch bar attach point is? (see attached pic)
it stays with the aircraft in flight and won't turn off with the lights.
Dave, that light also shows up in one of the shots they posted on their site, so apparently either they know it's there and haven't been able to fix it (or can't) or they just missed it somehow.

DaveWG
October 1st, 2011, 08:41
Hmm, I've narrowed it down a bit.

I had merged in the default F18 VC, so I tried removing that and the light has now gone.

Will have to try a different VC.

fantumfan2003
October 1st, 2011, 08:56
File name says "Rafale M Beta 2.1" so guess the final one with VC is some time away.....

FF

It is available! (But only a slow Megaupload...)

May try to merge in the default F-18 VC later...

DaveWG
October 1st, 2011, 09:14
Tried a different VC and that worked OK.

Didn't really suit the aircraft though, so I went a bit drastic. I hex-edited the F18 interior model & changed the fx_navred to something else. Works fine now:icon_lol:

fantumfan2003
October 1st, 2011, 09:25
Thor says in the doc "Last thing, I'm sorry to have taken so much time, for so less results."

Thor, Many, Many Thanks for the Rafale. I will wait till you come up with a final package that you produce. Till then your gift is more than good...

Wishing you all the very best.....

FF

Ferry_vO
October 1st, 2011, 10:15
Tried a different VC and that worked OK.

Didn't really suit the aircraft though, so I went a bit drastic. I hex-edited the F18 interior model & changed the fx_navred to something else. Works fine now:icon_lol:

I noticed the light too, but didn't think it would be related to the VC... Strange that it doesn't show up in the F/A-18 but it does in the Rafale! Might have to try a different VC too but I doubt I have anything suitable..

thunder100
October 1st, 2011, 10:59
This comes off the F-18

I fly with the F35 VC/Dino's) and its not there

Does the Rafale really bank that quick?With 3800 liter in external tanks?

Other then this (BETA !! ) Stunning exterior

Roland

CG_1976
October 1st, 2011, 11:30
If you can merge the Dino F35 VC can you share how? I'd really like to give this Rafale a Arctic work out.

VaporZ
October 1st, 2011, 14:04
File name says "Rafale M Beta 2.1" so guess the final one with VC is some time away.....
FF

Being a fully bilingual "Québecois" and reading Thor's Hammer remarks on the following french
forum, I confirm to you there will be other future versions/updates including a fully workable
Virtual Cockpit.

French forum is here :
http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=4619&p=62

I will gave you some news from this forum when they will be significant.
:wavey:
VaporZ

Lateral-G
October 1st, 2011, 15:23
Easy enough..

How to add the default Acceleration F/A-18 Hornet VC to the Rafale:

1. Go to the FsX\Simobjects\airplanes\A-18\model folder and copy the file FA-18_interior.mdl to the FsX\Simobjects\airplanes\Rafale M 3x1275litres\model folder.

2. Open the model.cfg in the Rafale M 3x1275litres\model folder and add the line 'interior=FA-18_Interior'.

3.Copy all texture from the FA-18\texture folder except the ones that start with FA-18_Wing and FA-18_Main to the Rafale M 3x1275litres\texture folder.

4.Copy the panel.cfg from the FA-18\panel folder and paste it in the Rafale M 3x1275litres\panel folder, replacing the original one.

All other variants of the Rafale are aliased to this particular model (Only the aircraft.cfg's differ to reflect the weight of each version) so you will only have to do steps 1-4 once.

5. In the aircraft.cfg of each variant, replace the [views] section with this:

[Views]
eyepoint=11.524, -0.00, 3.246
zoom=.5

6. Go fly!

Thanks!

I'm going to try and merge the Roland Laborie Mirage VC with this one.....

Mach3DS
October 1st, 2011, 15:43
Please post your process steps! I was thinking of doing the same thing! Merged the FA-18 VC but also got the annoying red light! Also thinking of trying out the FSD YF-23 pit to see if that works...

CG_1976
October 1st, 2011, 15:57
Ok that's it. It's time to whip out the Rafale I bought a while back and merge.
http://secure.simmarket.com/rlaborie-dassault-rafale.phtml

RKinkor
October 1st, 2011, 18:56
I am going to wait until it is uploaded elsewhere. My Norton blocked an intrusion attempt when on the megaupload site.

fsafranek
October 1st, 2011, 21:13
I am going to wait until it is uploaded elsewhere. My Norton blocked an intrusion attempt when on the megaupload site.
According to the author's readme file it is only to be distributed via FAF and
they are pointing to megaupload. Unless Bruno moves it elsewhere you'll need
to educate your copy of Norton. :kilroy:

Creepy847
October 1st, 2011, 21:53
For those of you adding a VC and are looking for a fix for the red/green NAV light in front of the nose wheel... Go to your Main FSX effects folder\texture folder and find the fx_2 Bitmap Image and rename\remove\delete it... Make sure you back it up... I have a folder in my effects folder called 'disabled effects\texture' for files I remove or disable...

Ive used a number of different VCs for testing tonight and all of them were fine after removing or renaming fx_2 bitmap.. Im not sure whatelse fx_2 is used for, but you can disable it to fly Thor's Rafale and then place it back into your Main FSX\effects\texture file and your good to go when flying other ac..

Currently Im using Roland Laborie Mirage VC and it works flawless...

Creeps..
www.throttleback.net (http://www.throttleback.net)

robertorizzo
October 1st, 2011, 22:25
x Creepy:
does it worth? (to merge rollus VC I mean).
Is the external model truly better? Maybe the flight dynamics, or simply we think there will are more liveries?
Is everything working? In particular the approach auto throttle?

thunder100
October 1st, 2011, 23:40
If you can merge the Dino F35 VC can you share how? I'd really like to give this Rafale a Arctic work out.

You copy the JSF2.MDL from F35-->model file
You edit the model.cfg like this

[models]
normal=rafalem
interior=JSF2

You copy from F35 the full panel folder and the texture folder(rename it to texture.vc) into the Rafale folder-->DONE

You have to edit the view section of the aircraft cfg to your liking

Roland

Creepy847
October 1st, 2011, 23:42
Well I like both the Rafales and its nice to have more than one to choose from. For me I think its worth it if you want the VC.. If your not in a hurry then you might wanna wait till Thor's VC is complete. I dont like having a VC that shows another AC other than the one Im flying. I think it works well with Thor's and if you have it then its an easy fix..

Not sure about the approach auto throttle..??

Both Rafales offer theyre own unique styles, they look great and fly pretty well ... Thor's freeware one is great, but for me without a proper VC and not one from the F-18 or F-35 I wouldnt bother.. Since I have both I have a choice and having choices is a good thing...

Creeps.

DaveWG
October 1st, 2011, 23:48
For those of you adding a VC and are looking for a fix for the red/green NAV light in front of the nose wheel... Go to your Main FSX effects folder\texture folder and find the fx_2 Bitmap Image and rename\remove\delete it... Make sure you back it up... I have a folder in my effects folder called 'disabled effects\texture' for files I remove or disable...

Ive used a number of different VCs for testing tonight and all of them were fine after removing or renaming fx_2 bitmap.. Im not sure whatelse fx_2 is used for, but you can disable it to fly Thor's Rafale and then place it back into your Main FSX\effects\texture file and your good to go when flying other ac..

Currently Im using Roland Laborie Mirage VC and it works flawless...

Creeps..
www.throttleback.net (http://www.throttleback.net)

I'd think several times before doing that. The fx_2.bmp is used by a lot of effects, not just on the aircraft.

dvj
October 1st, 2011, 23:50
Nice One!

Roger
October 2nd, 2011, 01:55
Great screenshot dvj:ernae:

RKinkor
October 2nd, 2011, 05:10
Then I guess I don't get it if doesn't come from a site that I can trust.

According to the author's readme file it is only to be distributed via FAF and
they are pointing to megaupload. Unless Bruno moves it elsewhere you'll need
to educate your copy of Norton. :kilroy:

Creepy847
October 2nd, 2011, 05:57
I'd think several times before doing that. The fx_2.bmp is used by a lot of effects, not just on the aircraft.

Thats why I said to back it up and replace it when your done flying Thor's Rafale.. Yes it is used for alot of different light effects, but as you can see from my post its a pretty simple fix for a complicated issue if you want to have a better VC without having UFO lights in front of the AC (wheels up or wheels down) or in your screen shots\external views.

Navigate to: C\Microsoftgame\FSXmain\effects\texture\ rename fx_2 to default_fx_2 or remove it and place it in folder called disabled textures located in the same folder. Fly Thor's Hammer Rafale! Now your done flying go back to the same folder remove the word default_ from default_fx_2 so the file now reads fx_2 and place it back into your C\Microsoftgame\FSXmain\effects\texture folder and fly your other AC with the proper lghting... That would take the average simmer about a minute to do and I feel is well worth the loss if you even notice.

Anyone that knows me knows I spend my time helping folks not trying to lure them into damaging theyre software..

R\S

Creeps..

DaveWG
October 2nd, 2011, 06:41
You could also remove / rename the fx_navred.fx file in the effects folder. That would give the same result but you would only loose the default red nav light.

My own solution was to open the FA-18_Interior.mdl in notepad++ (not MS notepad) and search for fx_navred. I changed that to read fx_navrep and saved. No more floating red navlight & all the other lights work as they should.

Lateral-G
October 2nd, 2011, 07:04
Well, I am having one devil of a time trying to add a VC...

Here's what I did: ( I'm trying to use the VC from Rollus' Mirage 2000)

1.) I added the mir2000d_interior.MDL file to the 'Model' folder

2.) I added "interior=mir2000d_interior" to the model.cfg file

3.) I copied the entire panel folder from the Rollus' Mirage 2000 D and replaced the panel folder in the Rafale M 3x1275l folder

4.) I copied the texture.shared folder from the Rollus Mirage 200D and added it to the Rafale M 3x1275l folder and renamed it to "texture.VC"

No joy on the VC. I do get the Mirage 2000's 2D panel but no VC.

Any ideas on what I need to do?

Ferry_vO
October 2nd, 2011, 07:08
It is possible you'll need to adjust your view point. Try moving the POV around to check if the VC is perhaps in a different position than your eye point is.

Lateral-G
October 2nd, 2011, 07:40
It is possible you'll need to adjust your view point. Try moving the POV around to check if the VC is perhaps in a different position than your eye point is.

That did it!

Changed the [VIEWS] section of the .cfg file to the the same values as the Rollus' .cfg file [VIEWS] section;

[Views]
//eyepoint =9.0, -0.00, 2.20
//eyepoint =8.5, -0.00, 2.60
eyepoint =8.5, -0.00, 2.70

Thanks very much. :salute:

-G-

Creepy847
October 2nd, 2011, 09:20
You could also remove / rename the fx_navred.fx file in the effects folder. That would give the same result but you would only loose the default red nav light.

My own solution was to open the FA-18_Interior.mdl in notepad++ (not MS notepad) and search for fx_navred. I changed that to read fx_navrep and saved. No more floating red navlight & all the other lights work as they should.

Thx Dave Ill give that a shot to...

Creeps.

italoc
October 2nd, 2011, 09:41
Thanks Thor
very very good model, textures etc
I'm enjoying flying your Raf with F18 VC (BTW When original own VC ????)
Italo

fsafranek
October 2nd, 2011, 12:19
Then I guess I don't get it if doesn't come from a site that I can trust.
Try this...

I've been told that going through my website seems to avoid the nasty malware. So follow the links
from the October 1 entry on the "What's New (http://www.mirage4fs.com/whatsnew.html)" page. That will take you to the Rafale listing page and
from there to the FAF site. And from there to the download page. A long trip but hopefully worth it.

I also added a "Direct" link to the megaupload page to save a step.

Hope this helps.

Lateral-G
October 2nd, 2011, 15:56

I have Norton as well and I received no warnings........

Lateral-G
October 2nd, 2011, 16:24
OK some other issues.....

1.) The flaperons are always down..... the flap function won't cause them to raise.

2.) I don't have any elevator trim. I can't trim the plane for level flight...

3.) the canards are always in the 'down' position....that is the leading edge of the canard is up and the trailing edge is down......even in straight and level flight.

4.) after takoff and above 250 KIAS I have an aural tone in the cockpit...not sure what it is indicating.

5.) what sort of speed brake does the real Rafale have? I deploy the speed brakes and the canards level out and the plane slows but that's it...

thoughts?

ideas?

Walter
October 2nd, 2011, 16:38
With the flaps down, the canards point upwards, like you mentioned. When the speedbreak is used, they level out.

With the flaps up, the canards are level, and with the speedbreaks, the canards point downwards.

Walter

jetstreamsky
October 2nd, 2011, 19:14
Speedbrake on causes the canards and flaps to deploy, it might be that you have the speedbrake / spoliers mapped to an axis (I do for gliders), which may be resting in the opposite phase causing a 'speedbrake' event

Lateral-G
October 3rd, 2011, 04:41
I haven't changed any key/joystick mapping for the flaps function. Flaps work normally on other aircraft.

I understand how the canards and flaps are mixed. However, the flaps are always down, no matter what. (airspeed, attitude, flaps deployed/stowed, etc.). The flaperon animation does work but I have not been able to get the flaps to retract.

It is interesting to see the canards move exactly opposite when the speed brake is deployed (move to the trail position) but the aircraft DOES slow down (like it should).

I'm wondering if it could be an issue with the VC I'm using (Mirage 2000)

RKinkor
October 3rd, 2011, 04:51
Thanks I will give that a try, it was probably a one time thing but it was a high level warning something to do with a adware Installer from a website called 5million friends or something like that.
Update... went through your site and it worked fine thanks for the advice!
Update2 Totally worth it now to try the VC edits

Try this...

I've been told that going through my website seems to avoid the nasty malware. So follow the links
from the October 1 entry on the "What's New (http://www.mirage4fs.com/whatsnew.html)" page. That will take you to the Rafale listing page and
from there to the FAF site. And from there to the download page. A long trip but hopefully worth it.

Hope this helps.

fsafranek
October 3rd, 2011, 10:52
Thanks I will give that a try, it was probably a one time thing but it was a high level warning something to do with a adware Installer from a website called 5million friends or something like that.
Update... went through your site and it worked fine thanks for the advice!
Update2 Totally worth it now to try the VC edits
Glad it worked.

5 million friends, huh? Wish I had 5 million friends who would send me a quarter, fifty cents, even a dollar. :applause:

jetstreamsky
October 3rd, 2011, 12:16
I haven't changed any key/joystick mapping for the flaps function. Flaps work normally on other aircraft.

If it is an airbrake input, it wouldn't show in flaps in other aircraft as they aren't usually mixed surfaces, but it would show in something like the F18 that does something similar except using the rudders.

I understand how the canards and flaps are mixed. However, the flaps are always down, no matter what. (airspeed, attitude, flaps deployed/stowed, etc.). The flaperon animation does work but I have not been able to get the flaps to retract.

It is interesting to see the canards move exactly opposite when the speed brake is deployed (move to the trail position) but the aircraft DOES slow down (like it should).

Weird

I'm wondering if it could be an issue with the VC I'm using (Mirage 2000)

I'm using the Etendard cockpit without any problems, I think it just replaced an alias to the lear jet so I don't see it matters what cockpit you use.

fantumfan2003
October 4th, 2011, 09:48
I am trying unsuccessfully to land it on the Charles de Gaulle v.2.0 by Rooster and also using aicarriers2.

I try to maintain about 115kts with 30% on-board fuel

Thanks for the tips

FF

peter12213
October 4th, 2011, 14:42
Got to say very poor, I know it's the Beta, but after the Rollus model this is very much lacking! Great for freeware users though!:salute:

Lateral-G
October 4th, 2011, 16:04
Well, since no seemed to have any thoughts on my flaperons/canards issue I decided to try the F-18 cockpit.

Now the flaperons/canards work properly but I get the fx red light by the NLG. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm......well now I'll try the Etendard cockpit......

Mach3DS
October 5th, 2011, 05:47
I've got the Etendard IVM Cockpit going on the Rafale, and it works for me without any issue. The Red light is gone. All control surfaces work properly. Just note. The refueling probe switch in the cockpit controls the Fuel drogue extend/release on the 2 tank model.

papab
October 5th, 2011, 06:05
I've got the Etendard IVM Cockpit going on the Rafale, and it works for me without any issue. The Red light is gone. All control surfaces work properly. Just note. The refueling probe switch in the cockpit controls the Fuel drogue extend/release on the 2 tank model.

Thanks for the tip on the drogue-It a came out in flight and could not figure out how to retract
RIck

Chris Sykes
October 5th, 2011, 06:47
with the payware Rafale VC added i think its a guage causing the flaperons to droup down, as i rem'd out the guages in the copied panel.cfg and they operated perfectly. i havent figured out which guage is causing the issue yet...

fantumfan2003
October 5th, 2011, 11:25
While trying to find leads on how to land this Rafale on the CDG I noted that the AoA is 16 deg just before touchdown and I am pretty sure they are also using an Auto Throttle system similar to the Superbug. The 16 deg AoA means that the nose is so high that you can barely see forward ( I am not able to at all using the FSX-A Hornet F18 pit for v/c)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCdG_aQL0iY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCdG_aQL0iY)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCdG_aQL0iY)
Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

FF

I am trying unsuccessfully to land it on the Charles de Gaulle v.2.0 by Rooster and also using aicarriers2.

I try to maintain about 115kts with 30% on-board fuel

Thanks for the tips

FF

Cirrus N210MS
October 5th, 2011, 15:24
wKrNyimOXfM

fsafranek
October 6th, 2011, 11:05
Is anyone getting the leading edge slats to go down for takeoff? If so what cockpit did you use? That may be the key.

I only see them move when in flight at low speeds. I mucked around with adding a [flaps.1] section in the aircraft.cfg file but that didn't work.

Lateral-G
October 7th, 2011, 07:09
My thinking is the LE and TE flaps as well as the canard issue is tied to a particular gauge that is dependent on which cockpit you use.

Chris Sykes
October 7th, 2011, 07:56
My thinking is the LE and TE flaps as well as the canard issue is tied to a particular gauge that is dependent on which cockpit you use.

Yeah thats the same conclusion i came to earlier... Just havent had time to figure out which one in the other Rafale Panel.cfg it is

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?58031-Thor-s-Hammer-FSX-Freeware-Rafale-Marine-!-October-1st-!&p=633070&viewfull=1#post633070

fsafranek
October 8th, 2011, 23:42
Working on a repaint of Rafale M F1 No.2 of Flotille 12.F in autumn 2005.
The tail decoration was to commemorate this aircraft's 1000th flight hour.
Trying to tone down the reflectivity of the spec layers now.

hschuit
October 9th, 2011, 04:53
Working on a repaint of Rafale M F1 No.2 of Flotille 12.F in autumn 2005.
The tail decoration was to commemorate this aircraft's 1000th flight hour.
Trying to tone down the reflectivity of the spec layers now.

To get rid of the excess shine, I delete all alpha's from the textures, then made the specular bitmaps darker with less contrast. The canopy rail is tricky, I could not find it's specular bitmap but I finally got it right by changing the MDL LOD 01 38 specular from 229 to 40.

gaucho_59
October 9th, 2011, 06:10
Yes but in France and / or in french language it is pronounced
"VC" ( Vay Say ).

Explaining this french "gag" picture !
:mixedsmi:
"Vay"-Porz
'
Vraiment en francais ca serait "double ve", n'est pas? Mais comme en italien, on dit "vu vu vu" pour w.w.w.
que doit etre "doppia vu doppia vu doppia vu" [which is apparently cumbersome to say ]
I am a US Army officer who retired and lived in Italy for many, many years and speaks Italian fluently...
Unfortunately, my French dates back to high school days in the early 50s... I am not really a true "francophone"...
so enlighten me if I am wrong... I was surprised by the pronunciation of "ve" for W... how do you pronounce
the letter V in French nowadays? [I have noticed that in contemporary times many things change in both
French and Italian... English stays pretty much the same... (save for those Americans who murder English with
things like.... answering "I'm good" when asked "How are you"... lol - which should be "I'm well"... the adverb
NOT the adjective.. Spanish also has changed with the times... Je etait ne' en Argentine... et l'espagnol etait ma langue primaire...
Mais, quel dommage, maitenant il est aussi change' beaucoups...

vonstroheim
October 9th, 2011, 07:24
Vraiment en francais ca serait "double ve", n'est pas?

My grandmother used to say "double vay say" for WC, but most of us shortened it to "vay say" (VC), you know, like "going to the 'loo" instead of the longer version... Funny thing, here in Quebec we say "bécosse", it comes from "back house"...

Is this the right topic for this? Actually yes! Virtual cockpit (VC) swapping in the Rafale... haha

Dino's F35 VC + Rafale splash screen by amentiba (pilote-virtuel.com)
http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=30097

fsafranek
October 9th, 2011, 11:32
To get rid of the excess shine, I delete all alpha's from the textures, then made the specular bitmaps darker with less contrast. The canopy rail is tricky, I could not find it's specular bitmap but I finally got it right by changing the MDL LOD 01 38 specular from 229 to 40.
Thanks hschuit. That's easy enough to do. I'll give it a try.

CG_1976
October 9th, 2011, 13:31
Anyone up for a paint challenge ?? RCAF 425Sq?

fsafranek
October 9th, 2011, 14:39
Did spot this "what if" repaint this morning at Flightsim.com.
A fictitious Força Aérea Brasileira wrap-around camo scheme.

CG_1976
October 9th, 2011, 15:48
Thanks for the HU frank. The Brazil one has a home with me:jump:. Now to figure out the Dino F35 merge.

gaucho_59
October 9th, 2011, 17:32
My grandmother used to say "double vay say" for WC, but most of us shortened it to "vay say" (VC), you know, like "going to the 'loo" instead of the longer version... Funny thing, here in Quebec we say "bécosse", it comes from "back house"...

Is this the right topic for this? Actually yes! Virtual cockpit (VC) swapping in the Rafale... haha

Dino's F35 VC + Rafale splash screen by amentiba (pilote-virtuel.com)
http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=30097

By the way... for an ignorant American... what does "loo" originate from... you said a longer word?...

vonstroheim
October 9th, 2011, 17:45
...Now to figure out the Dino F35 merge.

Try this: update the Rafale model.cfg file like that (the one in the "Rafale M 3x1275litres" folder)

[models]
normal=rafalem
interior=..\..\F35A\model\JSF2

And inside each texture folder, update the texture.cfg like this:

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\F35A\texture.clean

Update the view point in aircraft.cfg: eyepoint = 13.5, 0.0, 1.5

And copy the F35 panel folder to the Rafale folder... That's it! Worked fine for me... Hope it's clear enough, and I didn't miss something...

what does "loo" originate from... you said a longer word?...

This is british english spoken by kids, I assume it's coming from "lavatory"...

CG_1976
October 9th, 2011, 18:36
Merci vonstroheim, worked like champ:salute:

fsafranek
October 9th, 2011, 20:27
By the way... for an ignorant American... what does "loo" originate from... you said a longer word?...
According to wikipedia...

The origin of the (chiefly British) term loo is unknown. According to the OED, the etymology is obscure, but it might derive from the word Waterloo. The first recorded entry is in fact from James Joyce's Ulysses (1922): "O yes, mon loup. How much cost? Waterloo. Watercloset".

Other theories are:

That it derives from the term "gardyloo" (a corruption of the French phrase gardez l'eau (or maybe: Gare de l'eau!) loosely translated as "watch out for the water!") which was used in medieval times when chamber pots were emptied from a window onto the street. However the first recorded usage of "loo" comes long after this term became obsolete.

That the word comes from nautical terminology, loo being an old-fashioned word for lee. The standard nautical pronunciation (in British English) of leeward is looward. Early ships were not fitted with toilets but the crew would urinate over the side of the vessel. However it was important to use the leeward side. Using the windward side would result in the urine blown back on board: hence the phrases 'pissing into the wind' and 'spitting into the wind'. Even now most yachtsmen refer to the loo rather than the heads.

That the word derives from the 17th century preacher Louis Bourdaloue. Bourdaloue's sermons at the Saint Paul-Saint Louis Church in Paris lasted at least three hours and myth has it that wealthier ladies took along "travelling" chamber pots that could be hidden under their dresses whenever the need arose to avoid the need to leave. Due to the popularity of the myth the bowls became known as Bourdaloues after the preacher and the name became corrupted to portaloos and sometimes just plain loos due to the habit of shortening words in slang.
You asked. :icon_lol: By the way, OED is Oxford English Dictionary if anyone is wondering.

Now, back to airplanes and FSX shall we?

screwbottle
October 17th, 2011, 02:34
Try this...

Hope this helps.

Hi fsafranek

Found the direct megaupload link broken, indicating error about file removed etc etc. Just to let you and others know if they click on the "direct" link. I followed the longer route to get to the file.

Regards

screwbottle
October 17th, 2011, 03:07
Also found the link on Mirage4FS, for the rafale_brasil livery also broken under Rafale page.

Regards

fsafranek
October 17th, 2011, 08:16
Also found the link on Mirage4FS, for the rafale_brasil livery also broken under Rafale page.

Regards
The file on megaupload has been taken down but you can now get the file on the FAF website now.

http://www.frenchairforce.fr/download.php?view.229

There was a typo on the Brazil camo link. That should be working now. But if not, come back later and try again. The server sometimes seems to take awhile for changes to work.

Stefano Zibell
October 17th, 2011, 13:54
Being brazilian, that paintjob is just... wrong. Is there a paintkit?

jetstreamsky
October 17th, 2011, 15:52
What about ...........

http://lh6.ggpht.com/__A2VG2LiIPk/S7ZPFnKtArI/AAAAAAAAAB4/uZAO7A1Ygks/rafale-Brazil-6.jpg

fsafranek
October 18th, 2011, 13:32
Being brazilian, that paintjob is just... wrong. Is there a paintkit?
Yea I know, based on previous and current Brazilian schemes it isn't typical. It was possibly inspired by the image below that I found on the internet sometime somewhere. Photoshop no doubt but a dang good job on the camo at least. There is no paint kit.

Stefano Zibell
October 18th, 2011, 18:30
What about ...........

http://lh6.ggpht.com/__A2VG2LiIPk/S7ZPFnKtArI/AAAAAAAAAB4/uZAO7A1Ygks/rafale-Brazil-6.jpg

Still wrong! Trade that light olive green for some medium gray, write things on the right place and then we're close.

stovall
October 18th, 2011, 19:07
Stefano, attach a picture if you could. There are a considerable number of talented people around here that could make that happen.

Regards, Tom

Stefano Zibell
October 18th, 2011, 20:18
This (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Brazil---Air/Northrop-F-5EM-Tiger/1453322/L/&sid=dfda791be3855d1fa57f97b0295e0b07) scheme is used on pretty much everything and will probably be used on the rafale/superbug/gripen NG when the politicians finaly sort it out. This (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Brazil---Air/AMX-International-A-1A/0690702/L/&sid=1d041362a9a8e1d91356040af4da6aef) is the low penetration scheme, used on the AMX.

fsafranek
October 18th, 2011, 22:59
This scheme is used on pretty much everything and will probably be used on the rafale/superbug/gripen NG when the politicians finaly sort it out. This is the low penetration scheme, used on the AMX.
Something like this then?

Stefano Zibell
October 19th, 2011, 11:54
Something like this then?

Indeed, something like that.:salute:

Jafo
October 19th, 2011, 16:12
One of the all-time best looking models for FSX...superb.

Hooked it up with the default F18 VC ...no dramas after hex-edit of the mdl to 'hide' the nav light.
Added the usual...sonic boom, wing vapour, gun effects ...then started messing with 'setup' such as a 'common' texture file...to make it easier to see which graphics need modding to 'play' with alternate markings....
One oddity appears as if the 'tread' on the nosegear isn't painting right... got a white 'edge' to the tread area...and it's otherwise blank black.

If I get eager I'll create a 2D pit [usually I rig them from a screen-cap of the 3D so the switch is more seamless]...;)

Terrific work from Thor's Hammer, though, so far....;)

fsafranek
October 19th, 2011, 17:36
If I get eager I'll create a 2D pit [usually I rig them from a screen-cap of the 3D so the switch is more seamless]...;)
In the meantime there are a couple Rafale 2D panels on my website.
Good for background artwork at a minimum.
Use the side menu to go direct to them.

Please share your other mods as well.

fsafranek
November 16th, 2011, 09:35
I made some spare time to work on a Brazilian Air Force (FAB - Força Aérea Brasileira) scheme as an alternate to the one by Martial Feron. This one wears green and gray based on the tactical scheme currently worn by FAB aircraft. The unit markings are of the 1º Grupo de Defesa Aérea (1º GDA – 1st Air Defence Group) at Anápolis AFB (SBAN). FX-2 is the current designation for the next generation combat aircraft for Brazil. The aircraft serial number and FX-2BR designation are just guesses.

These should be available here for download later today. This texture set requires the v2.2 update (http://www.frenchairforce.fr/download.php?view.230), otherwise the tail will look weird.

flaviossa
November 16th, 2011, 10:13
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!! Thanks! :applause:

Stefano Zibell
November 16th, 2011, 18:50
Gee, that's an awesome paint. Accurate too. Thank you millions.

So if anyone wants to fly this in Brazil, this (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=pt-BR&sl=pt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ceaero.com.br%2Fmeshxsa%2Fdowsa .html) should improve the experience, since the original fsx terrain mesh is just rubbish.

fsafranek
November 21st, 2011, 14:15
Bruno Mérelle (Thor's Hammer) has released a repaint kit for aspiring Rafale repainters. I (and others) went over with him what was needed at a minimum for a kit and so he has made individual wireframe images in JPG format of the textures that are modified during a change of livery.

This is not the type of layered kit you get sometimes with payware releases but it is what developers and those of us who paint for commercial add-on developers start out with. At a minimum they will be very useful for figuring out what is covered on each texture file.

You can download if from his blog here: http://lenclume-de-mjolnir.blogspot.com (http://lenclume-de-mjolnir.blogspot.com/)/.
Just click on the ">>>>> Paintkit <<<<<" link at the top of his latest post.

In case folks don't want to download the 14 individual texture files I have zipped them up (http://www.mirage4fs.com/aircraft/rafale/Rafale_Paint_Kit.zip) into a single file.

flaviossa
November 21st, 2011, 15:40
Mr Frank, just if you want to get your brazilian livery more accurate, in the text "FORÇA AÉREA BRAZILEIRA" the correct is "BRASILEIRA". Brazil with a "z" is only for foreign people. Here, Brasil is with a "s". :ernae:

fsafranek
November 21st, 2011, 15:59
Mr Frank, just if you want to get your brazilian livery more accurate, in the text "FORÇA AÉREA BRAZILEIRA" the correct is "BRASILEIRA". Brazil with a "z" is only for foreign people. Here, Brasil is with a "s". :ernae:
Thanks. I was thinking about that yesterday. I'll have a look and fix it. :salute:

Hanimichal
November 21st, 2011, 16:30
I made some spare time to work on a Brazilian Air Force (FAB - Força Aérea Brasileira) scheme as an alternate to the one by Martial Feron. This one wears green and gray based on the tactical scheme currently worn by FAB aircraft. The unit markings are of the 1º Grupo de Defesa Aérea (1º GDA – 1st Air Defence Group) at Anápolis AFB (SBAN). FX-2 is the current designation for the next generation combat aircraft for Brazil. The aircraft serial number and FX-2BR designation are just guesses.

These should be available here for download later today. This texture set requires the v2.2 update (http://www.frenchairforce.fr/download.php?view.230), otherwise the tail will look weird.

Very nice work
but
I think Piglet's A29 has the best accurate colors
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Brazil---Air/Northrop-F-5E-Tiger/2017926/L/&sid=8e276ac503cd95834c833d78bf3608cf
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7470/thumbnailui.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/683/thumbnailui.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

fsafranek
November 22nd, 2011, 07:43
Very nice work but I think Piglet's A29 has the best accurate colors
Yea, maybe I'll revisit this another time. Fade the green a bit and also go back to the subdued ejection seat triangles and rescue arrows I had originally applied. In the meantime, here is an update to fix for my foreignication :redf: of "Brasileira".

http://www.mirage4fs.com/aircraft/rafale/Rafale_FX-2_Update.zip
:unitedstates: :ernae: :brazil:

flaviossa
November 22nd, 2011, 08:46
Thanks for the fix! :salute:

fsafranek
March 22nd, 2012, 10:32
For those who have been unable to download this VC-less but otherwise beautiful rendering of the Rafale it is once more available exclusively from the Virtual French Air Force (http://www.frenchairforce.fr/download.php?view.229) website.

Instructions for adding a VC from another aircraft are provided on the first few pages of this thread.

There have been several repaints already. All that I'm aware of are listed on my website (http://www.mirage4fs.com/rafale_all.html). (Please let me know if you are aware of others!)

And if anyone is interested in painting this one there is a paint kit available on the author's blog site (http://lenclume-de-mjolnir.blogspot.com/).