PDA

View Full Version : Help, Please, this is very strange

LouP
September 27th, 2011, 16:05
So I saw the thread about autothumbnail and decided to give it a try as I could add a few thumbnails to some of my aircraft. I install it but it never shows up in my add-ons menu. I tried a few things but no dice so I un-install it. Now FSX hangs on the create a flight screen and crashes everytime. I deleted the FSX.cfg and FSX starts up to the welcome screen but as soon as I switch to the create a flight screen everything freezes and then crashes. I have a back-up copy on another drive because I am worried about re-installing as I lost my back-up drive with all my install files. The back-up copy of FSX seems to run fine so that's telling my it's probably not a cfg problem. I really would like to get my main install back as I purchased a lot of stuff in the last few weeks with all these sales going on but I have no idea why this is happening. I tried to put a new UIAutomationCore.dll file in my main fsx folder and that did not work. Strange thing is that I could not find one in there to start with and when I copied the new one over, it never asked me to replace anything. I need help. :gameoff:

Thanks,
LouP

papab
September 27th, 2011, 17:36
I remember reading a thread that the Autothumbnail will not work past XP...

Did you try a restore to a point before you installed the Autothumbnail?
Rick

LouP
September 27th, 2011, 18:06
Not yet, the last restore point was before I went nuts this past few weeks with the add-ons and I hate to loose all my changes but I have more information. My reliability monitor is telling me that the cause is a faulty visualfx.dll file. I replaced the file with one that was saved in my back-up of fsx that works but my main install still won't start. Very strange.

LouP

guzler
September 28th, 2011, 08:53
I've got autothumbnail working in Win 7, if I remember, there was an update for it.

DaveWG
September 28th, 2011, 11:05
Autothumbnail works fine with Win7, BUT, if you run the 64bit version you'll need a the re-compiled version.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/327072-fsx-autothumbnail-in-win-7-64-bit

LouP
September 28th, 2011, 16:06
Thanks for the info on AT guys but I got my FSX back and am not going back down that road again. My FSX came back after a CHKDSK, a defrag, an a couple of runs with the registry cleaner.

Whew!

LouP