PDA

View Full Version : HELP...thumbnails don't match descriiption

imn2sims
September 26th, 2011, 16:06
Suddenly I can't choose the correct plane in the aircraft selection menu in Free Flight. The thumbnails don't match the descrptions under them. Seems like they have all shifted over 4 or five places in the menu. I believe choosing the correct description brings up the wanted plane, it's just that the thumbnails are out of sync. ANyone know what files control this or what I should do to correct it??? I think the trouble stems from installing the Razbam Corsair as it also screwed up my xml.dll file. I fixed that OK but had to manually take the rest of the files off to get rid of it . Maybe it changed something else also?

Steve

GarryRussell
September 26th, 2011, 16:16
This happened the other day to somebody on another forum

In that case it was because thumbnails were missing form some of the aircraft paint folders

Take a look and see if each paint folder has one.

imn2sims
September 26th, 2011, 18:01
This happened the other day to somebody on another forum

In that case it was because thumbnails were missing form some of the aircraft paint folders

Take a look and see if each paint folder has one.

Thanks, that would be quite a job as I have MANY aircraft, but I don't think that is the case here. If thumbnails are missing don't you just get the generic drawing of an aircraft where the thumbnail picture should be? I've had that but not this where it seems everything is shifted and description doesn't match the thumbnail.

Steve

airtj
September 26th, 2011, 18:50
Look for a utility called autothumbnail2. Here is the link: ​http://www.simviation.com/fsxutilities1.htm

Meshman
September 26th, 2011, 19:01
IIRC,where the thumbnails start to go bonkers is where you should be looking. Make sure you tick "Show all variants" or whatever it is and find the first plane that is messed up. Work on getting that one corrected and the rest should fall into place.

imn2sims
September 26th, 2011, 19:03
Look for a utility called autothumbnail2. Here is the link: ​http://www.simviation.com/fsxutilities1.htm

THanks, I have used that in the past where the aircraft paint didn't include a thumbnail. However, again that is not exactly my problem. It may be related to it but I've never seen a missing thumbnail shift descriptions to the wrong aircraft. And it's not just paints of a single aircraft. It actually "spills over" into the next different aircraft. This is really weird!

Steve

imn2sims
September 26th, 2011, 19:05
IIRC,where the thumbnails start to go bonkers is where you should be looking. Make sure you tick "Show all variants" or whatever it is and find the first plane that is messed up. Work on getting that one corrected and the rest should fall into place.

That's what I'm trying to look at now, thanks.

YoYo
September 27th, 2011, 09:37
One day I had to same after installation one addon. Maybe try uninstall (automatic) Your last addon from simobject and will check thumabnails.
I remember it solved my problem.

falcon409
September 27th, 2011, 09:57
Yep, as YoYo mentions, it's almost always related to the last addon aircraft you installed. Uninstall that one, check your selection menu to be sure everything is back where it should be and then if it is, reinstall the new addon. If it's ok, great. . . .if not, check the aircraft.cfg file for the new addon and see if there is a discrepancy in the information on each livery, such as two liveries with the same name in the "title" line, ie;

[fltsim.0]
title=Boeing T-45C 165493
sim=T45
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=150
panel_alias=
sound_alias=

imn2sims
September 27th, 2011, 11:56
I'm pretty sure I've found the problem. It's not missing thumbnail files, it's corrupted or empty thumbnail files. I had noticed that the out of sync condition got progressively worse as you went through the list of planes and at the end it was 8 planes out of sync. I went back and found the first instance of this and simply removed the bad file. When I ran FSX again I now had the generic plane with the ? on it and all the descriptions had moved one place over. So now I think it's just a matter of going on to the next instance and so on untill all the bad thumbnails are gone. What's really worrying me now is WHY did this happen in the first place. I'll run checkdisk tonight and see if I have bigger problems. I'll check back in and let you know if my theory is correct.

Steve

imn2sims
September 27th, 2011, 16:21
OK, just spent the better part of 2 hours finding the "empty" thumbnail.jpg files, deleting them and then replacing them with good ones from a recent backup of all my FSX folders (glad I had that). So all is back to normal, AFAIK. What I've learned from this experience is that you can be missing thumbnail.jpg files and all that happens is you get the little aircraft drawing with the question mark on it. However if the thumbnail.jpg file exists but is corrupt or empty FSX just looks for the next good one and shoves it where the bad one should have gone. Hence, you start getting pictures and descriptions "out of sync". Hope this makes sense.
Now I'm wondering if my SSD is getting flakey. Anyone know if its OK or even necessary running CHKDSK on a SSD?

Steve

LouP
September 27th, 2011, 18:07
Boy, has this thread caused me problems !!

LouP

imn2sims
September 28th, 2011, 12:46
Boy, has this thread caused me problems !!

LouP

Sorry to hear that. Care to elaborate?

Steve