PDA

View Full Version : water takeoffs in Malaya Bomber missions

braveheart77521
September 26th, 2011, 10:51
Skylane and others.

The vn pby will not take off from the water. I tried the black cat but it sinks. The Donier floas and works OK. However, both explode when I load up the first mission in Malaya Bomber Missions. Several years back I had a simular problem with Bataan1942, but I cannot remember if the fix was in aircraft, air, or dp file. Does anyone have a solution?

Braveheart

Shadow Wolf 07
September 26th, 2011, 11:27
Which "BlackCat" did you try? The one from Simviation pg 71 worked well for me but you need to start it in the air in MB and then hand edit the .mis file to zero alt and zero speed to get it to take off. That way the wheels will already be up and it won't sink. Also, make your second waypoint a few (3-4) miles away from the start and the route over water. Wingmen will have in the air spacing in the formation you chose, not on the ground spacing, so make sure you're far enough away from shore at start.

Cheers:

SW

Talon
September 26th, 2011, 19:14
Here's some pics of PBY's takingoff fromm the water in mt Aleutians campaign.

Talon

braveheart77521
September 26th, 2011, 19:17
All missions in Malaya Bomber Missions by Skylane involving the PBY explode after loading up. I try to load it up and pby explodes. Could this be a mission error?

Braveheart

gavinc
September 27th, 2011, 09:12
Here's some pics of PBY's takingoff fromm the water in mt Aleutians campaign.

Talon

Ok Talon, how did you do that?
I am not in front of my game PC at the moment (in fact I never seem to be in front of my game pc lately) but my recollection is that amphibians expect to be starting on land. True seaplanes can start from a water base but amphibians will start with their wheels extended and thus sink in water.

I have managed to get an amphibian AI to start in the air, land on water, and take off again as if they were picking up a downed aircrew but not start on water.

Gavin

Shadow Wolf 07
September 27th, 2011, 09:26
Ok Talon, how did you do that?
I am not in front of my game PC at the moment (in fact I never seem to be in front of my game pc lately) but my recollection is that amphibians expect to be starting on land. True seaplanes can start from a water base but amphibians will start with their wheels extended and thus sink in water.

I have managed to get an amphibian AI to start in the air, land on water, and take off again as if they were picking up a downed aircrew but not start on water.

Gavin

As I wrote above: "...you need to start it in the air in MB and then hand edit the .mis file to zero alt and zero speed to get it to take off. That way the wheels will already be up and it won't sink. Also, make your second waypoint a few (3-4) miles away from the start and the route over water. Wingmen will have in the air spacing in the formation you chose, not on the ground spacing, so make sure you're far enough away from shore at start."

Try that.

SW

PS: Here are a video and a screen shot: http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/Pechora07/?action=view&current=CatalinaTakeoff.mp4

skylane
September 27th, 2011, 09:28
Braveheart,
sorry to hear that you have problems with my missions.
I used the method described by Shadow Wulf in his post above to make the PBY take off from the water, and it works on my computer. I didnŽt encounter any problems with the airplane exploding upon loading the mission.

The only thing I can think of right now is, could it be caused by using a different mesh? Do you use the mesh that Xavier mentions in the readme of his scenery or something else?

Did anyone else have similar problems with these missions?

skylane
September 27th, 2011, 09:54
Braveheart,
I attached a modified MIS file for the first mission (01). Please save the original somewhere and then try this one.
let me know if it works with this one.

braveheart77521
September 27th, 2011, 10:38
Skylane

The Attachment you sent was invalid. Please try again.

Braveheart

skylane
September 27th, 2011, 11:27
It should work.. Click on the attachment and then save it, thereafter unzip the folder and you should have the MIS file..

If not, PM me your e.mail and IŽll send the file.

gavinc
September 28th, 2011, 07:50
As I wrote above: "...you need to start it in the air in MB and then hand edit the .mis file to zero alt and zero speed to get it to take off. That way the wheels will already be up and it won't sink. Also, make your second waypoint a few (3-4) miles away from the start and the route over water. Wingmen will have in the air spacing in the formation you chose, not on the ground spacing, so make sure you're far enough away from shore at start."

Try that.

SW

Doh :redf: - serves me right for skimming the thread and looking at the pretty pictures instead of reading the texts in detail.

Nice trick.

Gavin

Shadow Wolf 07
September 28th, 2011, 10:39
I hope it helps... :)