PDA

View Full Version : Fresh install CFS1 crashes on XP

Squirrel
December 12th, 2008, 21:25
After reading some I found that your boards were recently rebuilt, which is probably why I could not find this information.

I have a copy of CFS 1 and CFS 3, but right now I am just trying to get CFS 1 to work.

The computer is fresh install with newest video drivers (nvidia 6200) and fully updated directX. 2.2 Ghz AMD and winXP sp3..

The game, installed and not patched with a ****** I have for it (so clean install) is jumpy and then after like 15 seconds of flight the computer restarts.

Is there known issues with winXP and this game? I recently pulled this game out of the closet and thought I'd try it out again, it had not been played since before I had an XP machine.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get

-CHATTER

ps- oh and microsoft sidewinder force feedback pro... (first version) joystick, though I've switched out joysticks to the same problem

****** edited by smilo;
sorry sir, whether you use it or not, we don't talk about that here.

Allen
December 12th, 2008, 21:54
I have it on XP but I'm on SP1 still. I don't know if there's somthing in SP2 or SP3. How ever my CFS2 did somthing like that an I now run CFS2 in window mode only. If I go full screen it crashed when I load to go flight.

winslow33
December 13th, 2008, 06:43
I have Windows XP with SP2 and CFS works fine for me. Does this happen with any other games, or just CFS1?

Skyferret
December 13th, 2008, 12:37
Now that you mention it, I'm kinda thinking "hey, me too." I ran with SP2 for the longest time with no hang-ups. I installed SP3 a little while ago and my system restarted during the game (CFS1). This only happened once.

By now you probably considered reinstalling the game. If you have done so and the problem persists, the only thing I could suggest is like Allen said, try running the game "windowed" instead of full screen. Pressing "Alt Enter" will switch. If this does help, then the only thing I could think of is that the new video drivers are not compatible with the game's API's.

Also, go to the game's settings and look for "enable hardware acceleration." Beside that is "advanced display settings." The game should automatically choose the correct video card and settings but you could try fiddling around with them and see what happens. Try also reducing screen resolution. I run a Radeon 9600 with 128 MEGs of ram. Sounds as if it far exceeds the game requirements but too much resolution and it gets choppy. But yes, in your case, "jumpy jittery" which sounds like video driver issues.

As for your question regarding issues between Win XP and CFS1, none that I know of.

Hope this helps.
Sky.

safn1949
December 13th, 2008, 17:59
I run cfs 1 on Vista,so I have to agree that it's a video card driver issue.I used to have problems like that back in the day when cfs 1 was the big game to run.Also try cranking back your resolutions to 800x600 max and see if that works.

The sidewinder stick was one of my favorites but it's buggy and can be a real pain.

Johnny
December 13th, 2008, 20:59
~S~ All,

I removed SP3 and it solved all of my problems. Well, not all of my problems, but I will stick to CFS. Like safn1949 said: set your resolutions to 800x600.

When you are ready for Multiplayer, let us know.

j.

safn1949
December 14th, 2008, 07:03
Yea the last windows update I did with Vista jammed me up big time,I had to do a system restore and go back 2 weeks because I didn't know which update did it.It runs fine now and I don't think I want to update anymore.:costumes: Johnny I haven't flown online for years,I used to love doing bomber runs from Interlaken to Berne. Seems like it was a lifetime ago.

gwar
December 17th, 2008, 12:43
not sure exactly what part of sp3 is doing it, but I had major issues with itwhich affected parts of windows live services as well as a few games on my machine. I went back to sp2, problems solved.

Squirrel
December 28th, 2008, 09:01
well I haven't had the time to sit down and crank at this problem too much since posting.

But thank you for the information. So it is probably some inconsistancy with SP3? is how I understand this. Perhaps MS will correct that issue (hey I can dream can't I)

I'm concidering trying the game on an emulated win98SE machine or something

-CHATTER

thanks for the help, Though I wish the answer would have been, "Yeah, so-and-so made a patch that fixed the problem" or "yeah just adjust this setting in your config.whatever file and that makes it just stable as it should have been in the first place... "

minuteman10
December 29th, 2008, 19:10
~S~ Squirrel...I believe that I read somewhere that SP3 was the culprit...in a number of issues. I have run CFS on XP...SP2 without issue for the last 2 years...right up until my PC bit the dust!!! Dump SP3 if possible......