PDA

View Full Version : Prepar3D and Orbx Pnw Demo + KHQM

limjack
September 25th, 2011, 18:18
Anyone giving this a shot? 9.95 monthly subscription trial period and Orbx is throwing in PNW demo and KHQM to check it out. Temptation is there since it's only 9.95 for the month. Will keep following the threads over at Orbx before I jump.

Jim

Sundog
September 25th, 2011, 18:31
It will be worth it to me, for developing FDE's, if it comes with the same tools ESP shipped with,as I wasn't able to secure an ESP license before it was pulled from the market.

stiz
September 25th, 2011, 18:36
how much has lockheed actually done to it?? last i heard its just ESP basicly with a few things added, ESP was effectically FSX, they both even share the same (near enough) the same SDK. :engel016:

jdhaenens
September 25th, 2011, 19:08
In the latest version, there is an exporter for 3DS Max through the latest version, changes that make it fully compatible with Windows 7, a water configuration tool, bug fixes, and a couple more aircraft. Bathymetry has been there almost from the start. You can make and drive submarines. The SDK now supports submerged FDE.

Jim

hairyspin
September 25th, 2011, 22:06
...there is an exporter for 3DS Max through the latest version...

That alone makes it a cause for celebration, since versions after Max 2008 just won't work with the FSX exporter. P3D aircraft models work just fine with FSX.

lazarus
September 25th, 2011, 23:02
So Lock-Mart can use everyone elses FSX goodies for free, no royalties, selling the sim as part of a training system at G-job mark ups.
Hmmm.

Francois
September 26th, 2011, 02:11
Had a subscription for a while but stopped it. Not enough use to justify it for now. They DO have a nice Google Sketchup add-on for making roofs though ;-)

jdhaenens
September 26th, 2011, 03:25
@ Lazarus. No. They are bound by the same copyright laws the rest of us are.

Phantom88
September 26th, 2011, 07:29
I'm interested,and probably will purchase down the line.I'm just not sure if importing all my aircraft/scenery[What I'll legally be able to] is going to be worth the Hassle right now.

lazarus
September 26th, 2011, 09:49
@ Lazarus. No. They are bound by the same copyright laws the rest of us are.

I know. Thats the theory, anyway. I have a profound distrust of any organization who employs as many lawyers as Lockmart. I was thinking more of the end users- especially the less reputable ones, but there is little one can do about the whims of the Pakistan air force or such like.
It will be interesting to see where the sim ends up in a few years. Thers some big hardware developments on the edge of the scope that are going to do wild things when it percolates down to the home users. Memsistors, no-glasses 3-D.Who knows. By the 25th anniversary of FSX we may have home PC's that can run FSX with all the sliders maxxed right:mixedsmi:
BTY, Jim. Love your scenery art. Astounding work. Many, many thank you's. The sim would not be 1/8th as interesting with out your sceneries in!

limjack
September 26th, 2011, 12:07
Crossroads coming indeed. If this new platform for FSX evolves in a positive way (and the price is right) I will have some thinking to do when Flight comes out. I would really like to stick with FSX as it grows. Only time will tell. Very excited none the less. Bring on the competition and push the limits in our hobby!!!!

Jim

AndyE1976
September 26th, 2011, 15:55
Prepar3D retails for $499 and isn't available to Joe Public unless you're going to pretend to be a developer (or are a developer) and then it's only $120 a year! A lot of the changes they've made to FSX are to enable it to take advantage of more modern systems, this is something which Flight should have by default.

limjack
September 26th, 2011, 17:28
Guess I better get my developer skills started if this turns out to be something I want!:icon_lol:

Jim

Just found this on another forum from one of the devs.

Yes, it is for normal folks as long as it isn't being intended for use as a game. It is all about end-use. Anyone can purchase it. No hidden agendas here. Please also review the price points and descriptions of the products in the store as well as look at the Developer Network description here: http://www.prepar3d....etwork-program/ (http://www.prepar3d.com/partners-overview/developer-network-program/)

I really encourage people that have questions to go to the Prepar3D site and ask questions. Thanks! http://static.avsim.net/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Regards,
John Nicol
Prepar3D

Skyhawk_310R
September 26th, 2011, 19:12
how much has lockheed actually done to it?? last i heard its just ESP basicly with a few things added, ESP was effectically FSX, they both even share the same (near enough) the same SDK. :engel016:

Lockheed Martin did an extensive amount of work to develop the SDK. Plus they re-coded the basic platform to support submergible vehicles. Some work was also done to expand the flight modeling options to better support fidelity for military aircraft, land vehicles, and surface and submergible vessels.

hairyspin
September 27th, 2011, 10:53
Just as a FYI, the P3D sdk and the new exporters for 3ds Max are free downloads from the P3D site.

mmann
September 27th, 2011, 12:35
Just as a FYI, the P3D sdk and the new exporters for 3ds Max are free downloads from the P3D site.

Be aware that the Prepar3D SDK Installation Instructions state "ConfigSDK.exe updates the other executables provided within the SDK to allow them to run with your installed copy of the Prepar3DŽ client. Prepar3DŽ must have been run at least once in order for this step to complete correctly."

This would seem to indicate that although the SDK is a free download, using the SDK isn't.

crashaz
September 28th, 2011, 15:28
Well as long one does not know how to tweak the cfg and ini files :icon_lol:

I am using it as it work with the 3ds Max 2011 demo.