PDA

View Full Version : 'Loudon: Another Fuel Mileage Race?'

Panther_99FS
September 23rd, 2011, 08:30
http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-gas-or-go-nascar-sprint-cup-series-chase-fuel-talk-clouds-loudon

PRB
September 23rd, 2011, 11:01
These fuel mileage races seem to be another result of the “law of unintended consequences.” With the COT, we have a field of cars that are almost as identical as the old IROC cars were. Add to that the fact that they are so aero-dependant. And in the years leading up to the COT, didn't we hear that one of the advantages of the COT was going to be less aero? Guess that didn't work out... So, highly aerodynamic, and equal cars mean they can't pass, and now there are much more cars that, once in front of the field, can stay in front. Add to this the fact that the tires don't wear out as fast, so they last longer than a fuel run. I think they should make tires that wear out faster. That would make them come in the pit more, and fill the gas tank up while changing tires.

stansdds
September 24th, 2011, 04:06
Another factor in the fuel mileage race is the use of E-15 ethanol blend gasoline. E-15 has reduced their fuel mileage. As for tires that wear out faster, that's been done in the past and I think it lead to more flat tires, spins and wrecks and that's not a good thing, especially considering how much these cars cost. I remember one race in particular where the tires wore out so fast that NASCAR was throwing mandatory cautions at regular intervals to prevent tire mishaps. I look at fuel mileage as a strategic challenge for the crew chief and a fuel management challenge for the driver. NASCAR has been criticized as little more than the driver mashing the gas pedal and turning left, now the crew chief and driver must manage their resources.