PDA

View Full Version : Van Johnson, another great actor gone....

Navy Chief
December 12th, 2008, 16:47
PJMack posted about Van Johnson's death on CFS2 forum, but I just wanted to comment also.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,466084,00.html

Van Johnson is one of the last Hollywood greats. "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" is one of my favorite war movies, and he was great in it.

Here is his bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Johnson

He had quite a few movie roles to his credit, and so many of them were/are memorable.

The attached picture is from "The Caine Mutiny"; another classic.

God rest his soul.

NC

Quicksand
December 12th, 2008, 16:53
:frown::frown::frown::medals::medals::medals: RIP, Van....

Craig Taylor
December 12th, 2008, 18:15
I loved both of those movies, as well as (and I'm man enough to admit it) "Brigadoon." Of course, I am predominately Scottish... :costumes:

lifejogger
December 12th, 2008, 19:15
Van Johnson was one of my favorite actors, they don't make em like that anymore.

30 Seconds Over Toyko
Battleground
The Caine Mutiny
Command Decision
A Guy Named Joe

Some of my favorites.

:medals::medals:

Dain Arns
December 13th, 2008, 06:04
I still prefer the "Old School" Hollywood actors. Van was right up with the best on my list. Great movies all, but I'm glad you mentioned, "A Guy Named Joe", Lifejogger. One of my favorites, along with the remake,(and generally I hate remakes), "Always" by Spielberg.

"30 Seconds Over Tokyo" is a classic. In fact I'm going to watch it this afternoon in honor of Van. God Speed, Mr. Johnson, and thank you for all of the wonderful movie memories. :applause: :engel016:

Helldiver
December 13th, 2008, 06:38
Van Johnson was condemned for not going into the war. It seemed that he had a head injury and also a heart murmer.
The only thing his heart murmered for, was another guy. It turned out that Johnson was gay.
As an actor, he left a lot to be desired.

Navy Chief
December 13th, 2008, 11:31
Well, I had never heard or read anything about Van Johnson's not joining the service; nor his being gay. But as for whether he was a good actor, I suppose that is left up to one's own opinion.

NC

Dain Arns
December 13th, 2008, 13:27
MGM buried the fact he was gay. Louie B. Mayer engineered his marriage to his friend, Keenan Wynn's wife Eve, because he stated that was the only woman he would marry. Still had a daughter with her, but divorced in 1968.

He didn't enter in service into World War II, because he was involved in a car crash that left him with a metal plate in his head, making him ineligible. Oddly enough the passengers in the car with him at the time of the accident were Keenan Wynn and Eve, while they were still married to each other. Don't call it "Hollyweird" for nuthin', folks. :costumes:

Helldiver
December 13th, 2008, 15:11
Navy Chief, you're much too young to know all the rumors. Both Frank Sinatra and Van Johnson were criticized severly for not joining the services. Don't forget it was a World War and any male between 17 and 50 was expected to be in the service.
As far as him being gay it was widely known. Not hidden like Rock Hudson.
His acting in "Battleground" was what you would expect out of a wooden board.

Navy Chief
December 13th, 2008, 16:43
I do have to say that I didn't know anything about V. Johnson, except from the movies I had seen him in.

NC

Hals und Bein Bruch
December 14th, 2008, 02:26
He was a man, which means he was your brother,whatever that means to you ...(no disrespect now or ever) ...

Dain Arns
December 14th, 2008, 04:49
He was a man, which means he was your brother,whatever that means to you ...(no disrespect now or ever) ...

Amen.