PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Cooling

Wittpilot
September 19th, 2011, 17:03
Is anybody running with liquid cooling? And if so, is it worth it?

Im still working on setting up some type of system and I'd like something with some get up and go...

Basically i7 2600k
3.4ghz
min 8 gig of RAM
Lots of Case Fans,
and a Vid card that runs FSX fairly smoothly...

I built one at Cyberpower for about $1000... really was trying to get it below that...

oh well...
Any suggestions? I've been without FSX for almost 6 mohnths now!!!! aaarrghhhhhh

Lotus
September 19th, 2011, 17:10
I've been running a liquid cooled core i7 975X (at 4.1 ghz with significant voltage bump) for over a year, and it's absolutely excellent. My previous system was water cooled as well, and I will *never* go back to air. A good water cooling system is whisper quiet, and it just laughs at the hottest days. I don't have AC in my house, and on the last hot day here in Vancouver (about 32 C) my cpu idled at around 38 C and maxed out at 48 C under heavy load in FSX. That's the highest I've ever seen it. On normal days (15-20 C) my temps are about 31 idle / 42 under load.

It's expensive, but the nice thing is that you can keep the loop for your next system, just changing out the actual cpu water block for a different socket if needed.

The system I have is a Switftech kit btw, with a large 3-fan radiator, mounted at the top of my case. I think it was around $300 or so back when I got it.

Thumbs up from me!

-Mike

Wittpilot
September 19th, 2011, 17:25
Thanks Lotus,

This is the one that came with the PC I priced...

Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Dual Standard 120MM Fans (Push-Pull)

Lotus
September 19th, 2011, 17:31
That should be ok, but if you're going to go to the trouble of getting water cooling, I would personally go for a bigger radiator, two or three times as long as that one. The advantage is that the fluid spends a lot more time in the cooling section of the loop, and is cooled in stages by each fan as it progresses through the radiator. It also allows all of the fans involved to run at a lower rpm, rather than a pair of them trying very hard to push/pull air through a smaller area. A bigger radiator also gives you a lot more head room for very hot days.

-Mike

pilottj
September 19th, 2011, 18:03
I have a Corsair H70 cooling system. It was fairly easy to install(quite a few tutorials on youtube), and quite a drop in core temps. Average temp when running FS 30-35C...maybe 40C on hot days.

Cheers
TJ

OleBoy
September 19th, 2011, 18:15
I say use SOH members response as suggestion. Then go hit the hard core cooling forums and ask there. No offense, but people are going to recommend you to get what works for them, and what they have. Your best bet is to delve into the hardcore side of liquid cooling and get those peoples feedback also. Who knows, by doing so, you at least would gain knowledge and a better understanding of how liquid cooling works. There are also many air cooled configurations that will accomplish the same results (temperature wise) as LQ. Knowledge is a good thing.

Naismith
September 19th, 2011, 20:10
Here is an opportunity to plug a great Canadian company who have just this month expanded into the USA

http://us.ncix.com/

They offer competetive pricing, but best of all superb service. I have bought several items from them and cannot so far fault them. I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer. So feel free to investigate them. They also have an excellent YouTube channel full of up to date tips.
In a search of the their YT vids there is a feature on liquid cooling which you may find instructive.