PDA

View Full Version : OT: Spitfire I P9374 (Featured Video)

Bomber_12th
September 17th, 2011, 22:11
As has been mentioned a bit around the various internet forums, Spitfire Mk.I (or simply Spitfire I, as it is so early), P9374, flew for the first time following roughly a decade of intensive restoration work, after being initially recovered in 1980 from the French beach in Calais, having been shot down on May 24, 1940. As can be understood by the date at which the aircraft was shot down, the aircraft is not a Battle of Britain survivor, but rather a Battle of France survivor! With the recovered wreck purchased by its current owner, some two decades after its recovery, it was the owner's decision to restore the aircraft to exact original specifications, to the exact configuration and finishes that the aircraft sported on its very last flight. The aircraft was restored by the "Aircraft Restoration Company", and remarkably has been restored accurately and authentically down to the last rivet and smallest stenciled detail, to exactly as it was. Some of the most interesting authentic features is the hand-pump gear lever, as original to the Mk.I, and an original two-speed prop also original to the Mk.I (although likely originally manufactured with a two-blade fixed prop, the aircraft had the three-blade two-speed prop fitted by the time of its last combat mission). This is the first Spitfire flying since very early WWII to have these items/systems fitted, as other Mk.I's, that continued in operation past the Battle of France and the Battle of Britian, would be upgraded over time. As a result, the aircraft is also much more of an accurate picture of a true Spitfire Mk.I, than even the closest surviving complete 'time-capsul' Spitifre Mk.I, which features a number of upgrades that were made to it during the war.

Enjoy...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/goodwood-revival/8753919/A-rare-Spitfire-Mark-I-takes-to-the-skies-once-more.html

(It should read John Romain, not John Roman, within the video)

Again, everything is authentic and accurate to how it was when the aircraft last flew in May of 1940. Note the two-tone finish of the instrument panel, just as it originally was. Also note that the flap indicator gauge is missing, in the upper left side of the instrument panel. This is an authenitc detail reproduced, as many Spitfire Mk.I's, including P9374, didn't have the flap indicator gauge installed, despite there being all of the mounting holes machined into the instrument panel for it. The restoration also features a fully working, original gun sight, though it has been removed during these early flights.

As one Spitfire expert put it, it would have simply been easier to restore/build the aircraft with Mk.V systems, and have the aircraft simply 'look' like a Mk.I - with that, it is even more remarkable that it is entirely an authentic Spitfire I. Further good news is that there are a number of other Spitfire Mk.I's in various states of restoration in England, which will be taking to the air again as well, in the years soon to come (some of which have some very historic pasts). From what I have read, they made a number of copies of the incredibly rare two-speed prop, when the unit for P9374 was manufactured... ; )

Also, for those looking forward to a Spitfire Mk.V in FSX - as stated in the film, there were over 700 design changes from the Spitfire Mk.I to the Spitfire Mk.V. It sort of reminds me about what I have been trying to illustrate just within the D-model Mustangs alone. Once you begin to fathom something like that, and dig into those details, it really becomes fun to be able to appreciate what exact variant or sub-variant of the aircraft it is that you are flying, and all of the details that make it that specific type, if they are indeed reproduced (rather than 'just another Spitfire', or 'just another D-model Mustang', etc.).

kilo delta
September 18th, 2011, 03:38
Great to see it being flown and not becoming a hangar queen. Thanks for the HU.:ernae:

peter12213
September 18th, 2011, 05:31
Thats fab news!!!

TeaSea
September 18th, 2011, 05:57
Really one of the most beautiful industrial designs ever produced.

huub vink
September 18th, 2011, 05:59
Thanks for the link John.

Huub

peter12213
September 18th, 2011, 13:17
Guys just to point out someones released the Clean and Dirty textures for the WOP3 Spitfire, sorry if you all know but i just spotted them.

robcap
September 19th, 2011, 12:54
quite a nice 3 pointer! Great vid, thanks, R.