PDA

View Full Version : From Rami's "skunk works"

Rami
September 17th, 2011, 20:02
Good evening,

I actually did this entire harbor in GSL three or so months ago, but lost it after I was sure I saved it in several places but in fact didn't. After being heartbroken, (briefly) I cobbled together a second version.

The location? Somewhere in Eastern Europe.

Seagull V
September 17th, 2011, 20:25
Looks nice Rami !!!!!!!

olaf1924
September 17th, 2011, 21:20
Rami that is some fantastic looking scenery . I think those shots of yours maybe the best I have sceen for cfs2.:applause::applause:

Captain Kurt
September 17th, 2011, 23:34
Superlative isn't adequate to describe, Rami.

:icon29::guinness::icon29:

The_Editor
September 17th, 2011, 23:54
Looks great. :medals:

Rami
September 18th, 2011, 02:46
Good morning,

Okay, fellow historians. I shall now give you a one-word clue to its location: Bismarck.

Shadow Wolf 07
September 18th, 2011, 05:01
Nice work and fast! Danzig or Kaliningrad (I forgot the name before the Soviets took it)?

Note: Formerly Konigsberg...

Wulf190
September 18th, 2011, 05:31
Cobbled together? Yeah right! That looks fantastic!

Rami
September 18th, 2011, 05:42
Good morning,

Nope, not correct, though you're in the right country.

Okay...the guesses so far have been Koenigsberg / Kaliningrad and Danzig / Gdansk.

The first guess is too far to the east, while the second guess is on the right side of the bay, but still too far to the south and east.

Here's a further hint: It is the location from which the Bismarck undertook her fateful "Exercise Rhine" operation.

olaf1924
September 18th, 2011, 07:24
Rami is it Gotenhafen ?

Rami
September 18th, 2011, 07:42
Rami is it Gotenhafen?

Olaf1924,

Yes indeed! It was renamed Gotenhafen during the German occupation, the Poles called it Gdynia.

On an interesting side note...the 1996 History Channel documentary names it differently too. The American version is narrated by John Hillerman, who names it "Gotenhafen," while the British version, which I have, is slightly longer, and it is narrated by a British speaker who calls it "Gdynia."

Rami
September 18th, 2011, 08:28
Olaf1924,

This is what it looks like from the air...I'm actually toying with the possibility of expanding it just a wee bit more.

T Square
September 18th, 2011, 15:16
A quote from "The Destruction of the Bismarck" by David J. Bercusson & Holger H. Herwig.

At 1:15 P.M. Flying Officer Michael Suckling of British Coastal Command banked his Spitefire for a final turn at 25,000 feet above the Grimstadfjord - and discovered "two large German warships." Suckling immediately headed home. Special couriers rushed his film to London for development. All Royal Navy commands received a terse but urgent message: "One Bismarck and one Priz Eugen class reported by reconaissance at Bergen on 21 May. It is evident that these two ships intend to carry out a raid on trade routes." Burkard von Mullenheim-Rechberg, the Bismarck's fourth gunnery officer, would learn of Suckling's coup while reading The Globe & Mail in the summer of 1943 at a prisoner-of-war camp in Bowmanville, Ontario.

A very interesting bit of history. Would make a very interesting mission.

Rami
September 18th, 2011, 15:24
A quote from "The Destruction of the Bismarck" by David J. Bercusson & Holger H. Herwig.

A very interesting bit of history. Would make a very interesting mission.

His account was featured in the 1996 documentary "Sink the Bismarck."