PDA

View Full Version : X4 Launch Date Set?

Lionheart
September 11th, 2011, 09:48
Hey all,

Any date set yet for the launch of X4?

marklaur
September 12th, 2011, 00:56
I hate to say but I hope not, I have hardly scratched X3 yet.

I just hope that some sort of planet side game play is introduced.

Cheers MarkL

Lionheart
September 12th, 2011, 20:27
Roger that. It would be awesome to land somewhere, on solid ground.

gigabyte
October 2nd, 2011, 14:26
The only thing I can find is Q4 of 2011, wait Q4 started yesterday... off to check the XUniverse forums....

Lionheart
October 3rd, 2011, 08:23
From what I read on the forums yesterday, they are going to be looking for Beta testers that have an eye for issues, problems, bugs, and what to make adjustments to, for the soon to be released Rebirth. From what I read, a Beta is soon to be released to a Beta team.

I didnt check the date on that post though.

GT182
October 20th, 2011, 06:00
As I understand it XR will be associated with Steam. Most likely bought and downloaded thru Steam. Patches and updates the same way. No word yet if a boxed version will be in the stores or not.

If it is I don't think I'll be getting it. I have Steam already and I do not care for it. Tho it's not as bad as UBI's required internet connection to them to play most of their newest games, which is the worst with their DRMs in it.

Lionheart
October 20th, 2011, 16:02
Hey Gary,

Roger that. I have Steam and I like it. No issues except for a while back, during an update, I was suddenly unable to get updates on games, unable to start the games, etc.. I was pretty upset, but I found a fix. (Man, I wish I could remember what it was I did).

It will be so nice to see new ships and stations and jump gates... I can soooooo hardly wait..

GT182
October 21st, 2011, 18:58
Bill, it doesn't sound like there won't be Jump gates as we know them. Something about "Highways"..... whatever they will be.

After getting stuck with the way UBI is making us play Silent Hunter 5, I'm at the point where I want nothing to do with a game that requires, I should say forces, you to play with a working internet connection to the Publisher. Which also means DRMs that control your computer and the game. Remember StarForce and the problems that caused.

I do have 'Just Flight' which is associated with Steam. But that is set up for updates and patches and doesn't seen to bother the sim. Apricotslice on Egosoft found that Steam did a patch, or update, for some game he had and it installed things that had nothing to do with the game.... without him knowing it or agreeing to it. My understanding is that it is against the law for any Publisher or other party to install anything on you computer without your consent.... as in the EULAs they make you agree to.

gigabyte
October 25th, 2011, 16:45
i have 4 steam supported games, i play them all off line and never have problems, i do have the update option set to notify only that way i know what is coming and i decide if and or when to install.

as for ubi, i voted with my wallet on them, i have not and will not buy any title that uses the type of drm they are using, they killed the silent hunter series with it, i saw it marked down to $1.99 at walmart a few weeks ago and just the other day i was back and they were clearing the shelf, the clerk said they had 20 copies and sold 1 which was returned so they were going in the trash....

Lionheart
October 26th, 2011, 09:02
Dang...

I tried to get my SHIII going last night, speaking of this, and it wouldnt run. I had the disc, but it needed the code again for the protections system to allow me to play it, lol... Its already in there! I need to enter it again??? argh..

GT182
October 28th, 2011, 16:10
Bill, the newest SHIII discs or downloads do not have Starforce in them. UBI did smarten up and do away with it. As for SH5, I've no idea when they'll smarten up.

I can say tho that SH5's graphics are awesome. Yeah, I broke down and finally bought, but at a much reduced price. So far the UBI requirement to be online hasn't hurt game play. And you can elect to have your 'saves' stored on your computer only. Mods that are out now make SH5 well worth playing and fix most of the 'broken' things in the sim. Still a V7 sub sim tho. But there are guys working to get the IXs in so they can be used.

marklaur
October 31st, 2011, 23:09
As I understand it XR will be associated with Steam. Most likely bought and downloaded thru Steam. Patches and updates the same way. No word yet if a boxed version will be in the stores or not.

If it is I don't think I'll be getting it. I have Steam already and I do not care for it. Tho it's not as bad as UBI's required internet connection to them to play most of their newest games, which is the worst with their DRMs in it.

I'm in that boat as well. Having a child at high school you find a lot about activation problems. At the parents and citizens meeting (sort of school council) you often hear parents ask for help when steam accounts stop working and their kids loose all their games. Happens more than you would think and there is no way of fixing the problems.
Take a support ticket, from what I hear no resolutions there at all not even a response.

I suppose a lot of parents are not forum trolls, they just expect things to work as advertised. A lot of the people I know have no intention of interacting with forums. Something that a lot of us just take for granted.
And parents vote with their wallets, if they do not like steam, by default their children don't as well because the parents will no longer throw money away.

Why are games sold via places like steam not subject to warranty like other products. They should be forced to have people in real offices in every country they sell games to to offer support.

Now a hell of a lot of people have no trouble, but those who do loose their whole library in one go.

I will never go with steam or similar services. At least not at the moment when I have so many other games to play. Now GoG.com is another matter. I have so many of their games and have only started a few of them.

Anyway end of my rant.

Cheers MarkL