PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam era MK82 bombs...what's the proper color?

OBIO
September 10th, 2011, 22:15
Working on the freeware Alphasim F-105 Thunderchiefs....D and F models getting the full OBIO's Restoration treatment. The planes look much better already...still have a LONG way to go. I need the proper color for the Mk82 bombs slung under the F-105 during the Vietnam era and there after. The original bombs are dark green and look like doo doo. I have seen reference to the bombs being Olive Drab and the RGB code derived from the color sample comes out as a brownish color Olive Drab. Looks kind of odd....but better than the stock dark green.

So, what color would be correct for US Mk82 bombs of the F-105 period?

OBIO

Navy Chief
September 11th, 2011, 02:51
......what color would be correct for US Mk82 bombs of the F-105 period?OBIO

These MK 82s are on a Phantom, circa 1972, but maybe would've been same for F-105s?

NC

hae5904
September 12th, 2011, 13:41
As a former EOD in the air force, I say OLIVE GREEN! With a Yellow band to make them live rounds.

Cheers,
Hank

norab
September 12th, 2011, 15:20
another item to consider is that there been at least three different "olive drabs" in US service at different times so you would want to try and make sure it was the correct one for the period

I would vote for FS 34102 as the right color

OBIO
September 12th, 2011, 17:16
norab

Thanks for the color suggestion...it works like a charm and makes the Thud bomb load look great! One step closer to having the Alpha freeware Thuds in final Restored form.

OBIO

TARPSBird
September 12th, 2011, 21:34
Aboard ship during Vietnam I ate many a meal on the messdecks with ordnancemen assembling Mk82's a few feet from my table. :icon_lol: I concur with norab's FS 34102 color suggestion, maybe lightened a bit to bleach out the color.

OBIO
September 12th, 2011, 21:58
I tossed a weathering layer on top of the paint layer to give the bombs a weathered look....make'm look like they spent some time piled up in a munitions depot someplace for a while.

OBIO