PDA

View Full Version : RCAF having problems finding enough pilots

Naismith
September 10th, 2011, 21:41
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/RCAF+having+problems+finding+enough+pilots+documen ts/5383910/story.html

Volunteers?

gigabyte
September 11th, 2011, 09:12
I was reading the same story in the Ottawa Citizen this morning, and thinking, hey I should give them a call, I have panthered a few F18's, maybe they would like to talk (ok yell) to a deaf, old fart, if they are that hard up we could be in some serious trouble.

I just heard the other day that Newfoundland is expanding their airforce at an alarming rate, they had more than 100 seagulls all sitting on eggs as of last week... :running::running::running: <run and hide...> And before anyone gets all bent out of shape, it was a Newfie that told me the one about the Seagulls, gotta love them folks.

stiz
September 11th, 2011, 10:19
maybe they should take some of ours that are getting laid off? :mixedsmi:

HighGround22
September 11th, 2011, 13:16
. . . I just heard the other day that Newfoundland is expanding their airforce at an alarming rate, they had more than 100 seagulls all sitting on eggs as of last week . . . .<run and="" hide...=""></run>
Yeah, I'm well acquainted with the front-line Newfoundland Air Force (NAF). They fly mainly GU-11's and B1-RD's, :salute: if my memory serves correctly. Great rep for bombing accuracy!

CG_1976
September 11th, 2011, 13:26
maybe they should take some of ours that are getting laid off? :mixedsmi:

Nah, The issue is right at the training level and those dang waiting list and times. There always has been a serious issue within the RCAF Pilot training program and selection process in Re the Fighter Sq's. Transport and SAR in the RCAF have adequate levels and can borrow USCG pilots if need be and I know they do as I pull Rotations between the RCAF and USCG. I'm happy to serve both my Home Nations.

srgalahad
September 11th, 2011, 15:20
Yeah, I'm well acquainted with the front-line Newfoundland Air Force (NAF). They fly mainly GU-11's and B1-RD's, :salute: if my memory serves correctly. Great rep for bombing accuracy!

Trust a Nova Scotian to be mis-informed of one of the great fighting forces in history! History was often rewritten when it crossed the ocean, or after the mistake of 1949. While there are large groups of both GU-ll's and B-Ird's available, they are auxilliary units detached to the NL Home Defence Force as they lack sufficient communications facilities for front-line service.

For more on "The Pink and The Black" (The ROYAL Newfoundland Air Force), go here: http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/222/language/en-CA/The-Pink-and-the-Black--The-Royal-Newfoundland-Air-Force.aspx

Back to the original discussion, there is, for almost every air force, a roller coaster of hiring, training and retrenchment which often leads to "shortages". My career decisions came in part from hitting the 'full' side of the curve where they would not even hint at a possible flying job and suggested I either wait, or consider other options (I did the latter). Shortly there after, airlines started hiring (late 1960's) for the "jet age" and pilots left the service for the wealth of airline flying.

Of course, the media will play up any apparent woes as it makes great reading with the boys in the doughnut shops.