PDA

View Full Version : PNG Starter Setup

falcon409
September 10th, 2011, 12:14
During the FS9 only days, I flew the Papau New Guinea area a lot. I love the lush valleys and tree soaked mountains, must be hell tryin' to find your way around that area by foot but flying over it and through it was a blast. I've been searching for places to fly to rejuvenate my enthusiasm for flying in FSX. . .it's gotten very boring lately, so I thought I'd go back to PNG. I loaded PNG Airports_Vol. 1 by Graham Michael, plus a few of his single airports and some mesh by Ian Thatcher and Andy Weir.

Aside from that, everything is FSX default. What I ended up with after installation were airports that sit about 100ft below ground level and rivers, streams and lakes that sit about 100ft above ground level. . . . .more desert and farmland than lush forestry and nothing that looks anything like PNG.

Is there anyone around that has a good handle on a PNG setup? I think the airports are fine really, but the mesh just killed all that and the ground textures look more like the midwest US than the Pacific Islands.

strikehawk
September 10th, 2011, 13:17
Falcon, I installed the Freida River airstrip that is available on SOH and used the recommended mesh from AusEx(?),the same folks that made Vista OZ, and outside of a few elevated rivers PNG was vastly improved. I just bought the PNG Bush Pilots combo pack and will install it later today. I'll let you know if it is any better as according to thedocs, it includes a 76m mesh and correct landclass.

BTW, did you ever install Masked Riders PNG airfields from CFS2 into your FS9 set up? Made for some interesting flights.

falcon409
September 10th, 2011, 13:50
I went to download the PNG Mesh and the link seems to be dead. I posted on the forums over there so hopefully they can put me onto a good link. Thanks for the suggestion Strikehawk.:salute:

Naismith
September 10th, 2011, 14:34
This works for me
http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/517-papua-new-guinea-replacement-mesh/

falcon409
September 10th, 2011, 14:42
Yep, that's the one I've been trying. Just tried it again using your link:

strikehawk
September 10th, 2011, 14:56
Try this link,

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/go/b931cf10fae27ae77c40bc1a152dc69d/papua-new-guinea-replacement-mesh

This goes to another page on the parent site, just click agree and the down load will open in another page.

falcon409
September 10th, 2011, 15:02
lol, I'm batting a thousand here, lol:

falcon409
September 10th, 2011, 15:03
I thought this might be a Firefox glitch, so I tried the links in IE9 with the same results.:salute:

falcon409
September 10th, 2011, 15:27
Got a link from a member on the aussie forum and it's working. Woohoo!!:salute:

Naismith
September 10th, 2011, 19:11
Aha I used the link which said "download" in the khaki box (top right) which took me to an agreement page then the d/l itself. Clearly the Rapidshare link is duff.
Glad you got it OK. :applause:

falcon409
September 10th, 2011, 19:21
Well, this mesh is somewhat better, but not entirely. I guess I'm gonna have to drop some coins for some payware addons to get it right, if there are any that cover the entire area. I don't have any sunken airports (that I noticed), but the lakes, streams and rivers are still elevated quite a bit above ground level. Kinda kills the experience.

Maybe I need to move to another region. . . .on with the search.